Advice to vote (From "Maybe Inspiration")

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Advice to vote (From "Maybe Inspiration")

Post by Moksha »

Advice? Everyone vote on Tuesday if you haven't already. From Whiterun Hold to Diamond City in the Commonwealth, get out and vote like the future of democracy depended on it.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Re: Maybe Inspiration

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:52 am
Advice? Everyone vote on Tuesday if you haven't already. From Whiterun Hold to Diamond City in the Commonwealth, get out and vote like the future of democracy depended on it.
I think the future of democracy does depend on it, and the GOP has already abandoned democracy in favor of oligarchy.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:01 pm
Moksha wrote:
I think the future of democracy does depend on it, and the GOP has already abandoned democracy in favor of oligarchy.
It is outrageous to me that the GOP neither denies nor apologizes for the fact that they are openly trying to suppress voter turnout in order to preferentially benefit Republican candidates.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Re: Advice to vote (From "Maybe Inspiration")

Post by Moksha »

If Trump is forced to step down, he might make a deal with Fox News to host the Miss Information Contest.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:01 pm
Moksha wrote:
And the left hasn't done the same thing? How many billionaires support them? Haven't billionaire companies such as Google, Facebook, and Twitter suppressed the Hunter Biden stories?

Anyway, what is so different with the democratic party? It supports forever war, and monopolies just like the Republicans do. When a handful of companies control everything and the democrats are being funded by them too and don't do anything from an antitrust standpoint, then I would say democrats are for oligarchy as well.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:33 pm
Hunter Biden stories?
REPOST TIME:
I will have enough for an entire book before this “scandal” is done.

Hunter, while living in California, decides to fly 3,000 miles to Delaware. All to drop off a laptop for repair, coincidentally at a huge MAGA fan shop. 😉 he decided to never pick up his own laptop. 😉

There’s security footage of it, but it got lost. Epstein style. 😉 But don’t worry- the MAGA man swears he saw him drop it off. Turns out he has a mental condition where he CANNOT RECOGNIZE FACES (I’m not joking) he knew it was hunters though, cause of the stickers on the laptop... 😉 MAGA man, naturally, didn’t just erase and resell the laptop, but did the totally normal thing of duplicating the hard drive and spending hours sorting through thousands of emails to find one that suggests Hunter might’ve tried to arrange a meeting with daddy Biden 😉 no evidence any meeting ever occurred, but who cares.

In comes Rudy Giuliani, cyber security expert, and talking set of teeth -who was tricked by Borat, and periodically butt dials reporters on accident -he has ‘confirmed’ the information not even the FBI could. 😉 Rudy was so worried about the intel, he sat on the laptop for months until 3 weeks before the election. 😉

Naturally, it proves Hunter was into pedo devil sex too, but the proof is secret and for Rudy’s eyes only. 😉 there’s a video of said drug fueled sexcapades, but again, you just gotta trust rudy 😉

Rudy refuses to send any electronic proof of the emails to anyone. But it’s definitely real, and definitely exists 😉 Heh. Again- not a single news agency has actually seen any proof, except for photos of printed emails. This is why ThEY WoNT CoVeR iT

He was ‘confirming’ it the same time Trump received an intel briefing that Rudy was unknowingly being used by Russian operatives to spread disinformation. Lmao.

Rudy, tired of getting made fun of, tweets some more ‘source material’ text messages... except the text is in an app that didn’t exist at the time it supposedly happened, and...literally in Russia. Poor guy.

This was all also investigated by a real Post reporter who refused to put their name on it, as no part of it could be verified. Several news outlets also passed on the story for the same reason, including FoxNews and WSJ. Ended up written by Sean Hannity’s producer. Lol.

Now comes a guy named Bobulinski - alleging he, uhh met with Biden to discuss a Chinese business deal😉. He has proof, of course: ‘documents’ he says 😉 naturally, he actually hasn’t released anything.

The WSJ opinion section finally publishes a Bobulinkski piece. Note: opinion section, not news, as they still couldn’t verify anything. It alleges the above Chinese deal. They very next day, the WSJ news section refutes the entire thing, using Bobulinksi’s own source material. 😆

Here comes Tucker Carlson. He is about to release a bombshell. All the emails. Proving everything. Unfortunately, these apparently only existed as single physical copies. The emails. Electronic mails. Only existed as one physical copy. (Got that?). Sadly, these printed non-electronic emails were lost (stolen!) in the mail, and no one ever made a copy 😉, so we may never know which dog ate Tucker’s homework or who made-up this made-up story.

Next up is Martin Aspen, Swiss intelligence operative. He is the basis for many of these allegations and brought it public in a dossier that the PRESIDENT received.. it turns out he is not real. Literally, they made his face on a face generator and gave him a cute linkedIn profile at a fake company. Probably just a cover for the deep state. 😉

I think I’ve got it all, but hard to say as they keep making new stuff up.

Edit: Tucker has retrieved the mystery documents. Still don't know what's in them, but coincidentally he thinks we should give Hunter a break, and pretend like none of this happened.

I've posted a partial list of sources below. I'm supposed to be working right now, so its all I've got time for.

Also, I refuse to remove my emojis. Screw all of you.
- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Exiled wrote:
And the left hasn't done the same thing? How many billionaires support them? Haven't billionaire companies such as Google, Facebook, and Twitter suppressed the Hunter Biden stories?

Anyway, what is so different with the democratic party? It supports forever war, and monopolies just like the Republicans do. When a handful of companies control everything and the democrats are being funded by them too and don't do anything from an antitrust standpoint, then I would say democrats are for oligarchy as well.
On the one hand, I am sympathetic to some of what you are saying.

On the other hand, your post is really kind of a mess.

Let me address the part I am sympathetic to first.

Oligarchy: Yes, both Democrats and Republicans have empowered corporations, business, and finance at the expense of democracy. The power of money in politics is corrupting of both sides. And war is big business, and both sides are guilty to one extent or another of indulging in fruitless military actions.

Now for the part I don't sympathize with.

Bothsidesism only gets us so far. Just because both sides are bad does not mean they are equally bad, and anytime I see someone immediately follow up criticism of the GOP with whatabouttheDemocrats I know we are in danger of heading into a pseudo-argument.

Let's strike this down first. There is no real Hunter Biden story. There is a Hunter Biden tall tale peddled by Rudy Giuliani, who has apparently lost it. Which media outlet went for the story? The New York Post, over the protests and unwillingness of the people who were forced to write or put their names on the article. It is a story that is so lacking in credibility that Fox News did not pick it up as news.

So, the GOP is much worse than the Democratic Party on a number of fronts. The obstructionism of Mitch McConnell. Putting in crazy "originalist" the Supreme Court justices who have given us Citizens United (You complain about Democrats the influence of big business?) and generally stand primed to increase the power of corporations. These things are extremely destructive of the people's power. Through gerrymandering and legislation the GOP has consistently sought to deny people the ability to vote or restrict the impact of the vote severely. This is anti-democratic. Put these and other things all together, and I think it is clear that the GOP is much worse when it comes to democracy and much more oligarchic than the Dems.

Whataboutism is a terrible strategy and it is the opposite of a useful cognitive tool.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Advice to vote (From "Maybe Inspiration")

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think there are a few courses of action that Trump can take with the election if it looks like he's going to lose, no matter if it's a blowout or if it's close (it's more likely to be close than anything else).

Course of Action #1 - Trump will declare himself the winner on the 3rd and until his term ends. He'll claim anything other than that is fake news. Whatever the case may be on January 20th, 2021 his term ends and he's out on his ass.

Course of Action #2 - Trump will incite violence from his followers at his suggestion, inference, or outright urging. He's acutely aware of his criminal liabilities, so he doesn't really have anything to lose if he loses the election. This is likely to be a few lone wolf types, if anything at all. There'll be no civil war because we like pizza delivery, the Internet, and Dr. Shades really, really likes Japanese stuff.

Course of Action #3 - I do think there's a small chance he flees the country before the changeover occurs, though. I wouldn't doubt he get a nice property overlooking the Black Sea or something along those lines. He'll need to find a country that doesn't have an extradition agreement with the US. Wait. Brazil could be on the table, too.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:44 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:

On the one hand, I am sympathetic to some of what you are saying.

On the other hand, your post is really kind of a mess.

Let me address the part I am sympathetic to first.

Oligarchy: Yes, both Democrats and Republicans have empowered corporations, business, and finance at the expense of democracy. The power of money in politics is corrupting of both sides. And war is big business, and both sides are guilty to one extent or another of indulging in fruitless military actions.

Now for the part I don't sympathize with.

Bothsidesism only gets us so far. Just because both sides are bad does not mean they are equally bad, and anytime I see someone immediately follow up criticism of the GOP with whatabouttheDemocrats I know we are in danger of heading into a pseudo-argument.

Let's strike this down first. There is no real Hunter Biden story. There is a Hunter Biden tall tale peddled by Rudy Giuliani, who has apparently lost it. Which media outlet went for the story? The New York Post, over the protests and unwillingness of the people who were forced to write or put their names on the article. It is a story that is so lacking in credibility that Fox News did not pick it up as news.

So, the GOP is much worse than the Democratic Party on a number of fronts. The obstructionism of Mitch McConnell. Putting in crazy "originalist" the Supreme Court justices who have given us Citizens United (You complain about Democrats the influence of big business?) and generally stand primed to increase the power of corporations. These things are extremely destructive of the people's power. Through gerrymandering and legislation the GOP has consistently sought to deny people the ability to vote or restrict the impact of the vote severely. This is anti-democratic. Put these and other things all together, and I think it is clear that the GOP is much worse when it comes to democracy and much more oligarchic than the Dems.

Whataboutism is a terrible strategy and it is the opposite of a useful cognitive tool.
I believe the GOP is worse, but voting Democrat doesn't get anything much different. The tone might change but the substance won't. We live in a country with the Republican right v. the Republican left.

What did we get in the Obama administration? None of the fraudulent bankers went to jail and they were bailed out. Guantanamo continued. Obama had his kill list and increased our wars. Trump, on the other hand, murdered Solemani, the Iranian general, but that isn't a thing with either party because that is what presidents do and our billionaires want war with Iran anyway. He continued with the exploding unnecessary military budgets that the so-called resistance gave him unanimously. I get that Trump is nuts and needs a huge leash. But I don't see much substance from the democrats.

Additionally, Obama had control of the house and senate for two years and didn't do anything for the people during that time. I don't think Harris (the real choice against Trump) will do much better. What does she stand for anyway, besides not being Trump?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:59 pm
I believe the GOP is worse, but voting Democrat doesn't get anything much different. The tone might change but the substance won't. We live in a country with the Republican right v. the Republican left.
Does this mean that you don’t intend to vote for either R or D this year?

I get that Trump is nuts and needs a huge leash. But I don't see much substance from the democrats.
1. Will Biden need a leash? And if so, with regard to what in particular?
2. ‘Not much’ implies some. What substance do you see from the Democratic Party platform? What substance do you see from the Republican Party platform?

Additionally, Obama had control of the house and senate for two years and didn't do anything for the people during that time.
To gain better insight into your mindset, what were you hoping that he would accomplish within those two years? With regard to what is important to you and reflective of your values, how did that compare to what Trump has accomplished in his four?

I don't think Harris (the real choice against Trump) will do much better. What does she stand for anyway, besides not being Trump?
Do you ask the same question about her opponents in this race? What do they stand for?