SHADES! Wishing DEATH violates our rules, right?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: SHADES! Wishing DEATH violates our rules, right?

Post by honorentheos »

Lem wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:07 pm
Ah, but here's the dilemma. For Shades to take action the issue has to be understood as posing a threat to the board. While the principle involved is "higher" and one with which I tend to agree (one shouldn't wish death on another human being) I suspect from experience that fact alone won't lead Shades to take moderator action.

So the unfortunate reality is nothing would be done in the name of good principles. But by complaining publicly that the moderator failed to act on knowledge of a threat made towards another poster it reveals the exposure that Shades can't afford to ignore. Intentions aside, this is how the board has always worked in the decade or so I've participated.
Just to clarify then, by your analysis of the last decade, are you suggesting that mentalgymnast got mods to take the unusual action of deleting comments where he was called a troll because he threatened Shades with legal action off the board?
I don't know about that. I wouldn't call it analysis, more observation. The Smokey invasion was along those lines, as were other activities that have resulted in posters being censored after Shades initially didn't take action. My impression here is this is one such case because you mentioned reporting the issue a month ago followed by subsequent reports which have gone unaddressed. Maybe it's just Shades isn't checking reports at all right now. But it seems consistent with his past moderation to consider this a case of there being only speech involved where there is no actual threat just poor choices in language. And he isn't going to act to curtail a bit of nastiness so long as it doesn't include a "Screw you". That is, until it looks like it might expose the board to legal troubles.

With MG, well, I have very little recollection of the details but the impression remains it wasn't a pretty episode. What I do recall was that it was an ugly mess. It included MG being the one complaining about harassment and dragged in moderators as combatants in the sparring as well as pushed the trigger button on the age old, "Mormon discussions is hostile to believers" claim which has a different dynamic. I suspect the jubilee was Shades' way of saying no party was behaving well so hit reset and try to do better going forward. It could be MG threatened legal action. It could be he convinced Shades to not do so proved MDB was anti-Mormon. Both of those have been used as leverage.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Interesting comments, but to bring it back to the topic:
Lem wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:20 pm
I am only noting that 'wishing death' on a person seems to violate our rules, and asking that such comments be deleted.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Lem wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:33 am
Lem wrote:
I am only noting that 'wishing death' on a person seems to violate our rules, and asking that such comments be deleted.
I suppose you could call in to Mormon Talk tomorrow and ask.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:56 am
Lem wrote:
:lol: I know, right?! That show cracks me up. I can only handle a minute or too each time. I'm hoping it is fake, because surely grown men are not that stupid.
Lem wrote:
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Lem wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:24 am
honorentheos wrote:

:lol: I know, right?! That show cracks me up. I can only handle a minute or too each time. I'm hoping it is fake, because surely grown men are not that stupid.
Lem wrote:
I gave it a try but couldn't stick with it. I guess the humor of it is over my head. The thought of everything else I could be doing instead became too much after only a few minutes and I tapped out. But maybe if you called and asked if they thought it was ok to wish someone would die with sincerity but no intention to cause it would they think that's kosher? Then Shades would hear it. At least right now it seems you're more likely to catch him there than on this board. Maybe?
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:32 am
Lem wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:24 am

I gave it a try but couldn't stick with it. I guess the humor of it is over my head. But maybe if you called and asked if they thought it was ok to wish someone would die with sincerity if no intention to cause it would they think that's kosher? Then Shades would hear it. At least right now it seems you're more likely to catch him there than on this board. Maybe?
Seriously? Lol. No, I'm not calling.
Lem wrote:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Lem wrote:
Seriously. That might be the only venue in which you could get a response.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:39 am
honorentheos wrote:

Seriously. That might be the only venue in which you could get a response.
:lol: my acting skills aren't up to it.
Lem wrote:
I can only do what I can.

Inch by inch.... mile by mile.... man by MAN. 8-)
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I stopped in to see if Shades was on and didn't see him. I'm sure he is missing a moment he'd love given they were taking about private wrestling and powerful moves from the bottom.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:07 am
I stopped in to see if Shades was on and didn't see him. I'm sure he is missing a moment he'd love given they were taking about private wrestling and powerful moves from the bottom.
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's Mormon talk. The very first episode I ever watched, suddenly one of them jumped the other and they disappeared to the floor. Several moments and a variety of muffled sounds later they both sheepishly reappeared, saying something like, 'sometimes you just have to ....'rassle' with your friends.' I was speechless!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: