My disgust with Democrats regarding "court stacking"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Re: My disgust with Democrats regarding "court stacking"

Post by Nomomo »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:22 pm
Since when is it a president's job to stack the court?

( :lol: sorry shades, just showing you what it's like)
Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:43 pm
Never one to be overly quick on the uptake, I sheepishly admit that you totally lost me here, Dean. :-(
Are you seriously that dense? I don't believe it.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:51 pm
Let me tell you this: If I only did my job 75% of the time, I'd be fired. Yet apparently that's what the Democrats were insisting must happen.

So, am I wrong to be angry at Democrats for expecting the President to refrain from doing his job? If so, please convince me how and why.
I don't believe you're really this stupid. Jesus damned Christ, really? Or did you just forget to mention the coma you were in during 2016? Other than your Perfume threads, this has to be the dumbest subject you've ever OPed.

Believe me, Democrats would be flabbergasted if Trump actually did his job 75% or the time. Given that he is a lazy “F” who does nothing for this country, 75% would be quite an improvement.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

My disgust with Democrats regarding "court stacking"...
...is nothing compared to my disgust with blatant, in your face, “F”-you GOP hypocrisy.

Seriously Shades, this was beneath you. Wake the “F” up.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:28 am
I think "court stacking" is a reasonable term for the Republican strategy.
In that case, those Republicans are disgusting for failing to do their jobs. I don't think it obviates the point I made in my opening post, though.
You are correct that Mitch McConnell is responsible for the number of opportunities Trump has to fill positions. But part of the allegations of "court-stacking" also refer to both the ideology and quality of the appointments. Trump is responsible for who he nominates.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

During the Obama presidency, the Republican-controlled Senate adopted a strategy of trying to hold open spots for the next Republican President by not following the normal process of considering Obama's nominees for court position. This strategy culminated failing to even give a hearing to his last Supreme Court nominee because the nomination was made in an election year. By this strategy, the Republican senate held open over 100 federal district court and court of appeals judgeships and one Supreme Court Justice spot for Trump. Then, other than a tax cut and gutting Obamacare, the Senate spent four years rushing through judicial nominations of sometimes wholly unqualified judges, many from lists provided by the federalist society. That culminated in confirming the latest Supreme Court justice days before a presidential election. In four years, 220 Trump judges have been confirmed compared to 334 for Obama in eight. I think "court stacking" is a reasonable term for the Republican strategy.
The Dems could have done the same had they controlled the Senate when Obama nominated Merrick Garland. That's the difference. Court packing has always meant appointing more than 9 justices, at least for the past 200 years.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:23 pm
Court packing has always meant appointing more than 9 justices, at least for the past 200 years.
No. Only since 1869.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Nomomo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:59 am
So selecting a Justice for the Supreme Court with the prerequisite that they are likely to be helpful in your effort to dishonestly steal the election if actually you lose is "doing your job"?
What makes you think she will help him steal the election, assuming it's even possible for her to do so? That's a pretty partisan thing for a Supreme Court justice to do.
Dr. Shades, could you please provide me with a link to your previous post of 4 years ago where you complained about the Republican Senate preventing Obama from "doing his job" by appointing a Supreme Court Justice in his last year of office?
No, because I wasn't paying close enough attention last time.
Are you seriously that dense? I don't believe it.
Thanks for the insult. Now that you (hopefully) have that out of your system, tell me what the "it" is in "sorry shades, just showing you what it's like" means.
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:39 am
I don't believe you're really this stupid. Jesus [vulgarity] Christ, really? Or did you just forget to mention the coma you were in during 2016? Other than your Perfume threads, this has to be the dumbest subject you've ever OPed.
Thanks to you too for the insults. Now that you've hopefully gotten them out of your system, care to take a gander at . . . oh, you know, actually answering my questions in the opening post?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:23 pm
During the Obama presidency, the Republican-controlled Senate adopted a strategy of trying to hold open spots for the next Republican President by not following the normal process of considering Obama's nominees for court position. This strategy culminated failing to even give a hearing to his last Supreme Court nominee because the nomination was made in an election year. By this strategy, the Republican senate held open over 100 federal district court and court of appeals judgeships and one Supreme Court Justice spot for Trump. Then, other than a tax cut and gutting Obamacare, the Senate spent four years rushing through judicial nominations of sometimes wholly unqualified judges, many from lists provided by the federalist society. That culminated in confirming the latest Supreme Court justice days before a presidential election. In four years, 220 Trump judges have been confirmed compared to 334 for Obama in eight. I think "court stacking" is a reasonable term for the Republican strategy.
The Dems could have done the same had they controlled the Senate when Obama nominated Merrick Garland. That's the difference. Court packing has always meant appointing more than 9 justices, at least for the past 200 years.
I don’t think I said anything about court packing. And could have done the same as what?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I don’t think I said anything about court packing. And could have done the same as what?
Ok fair enough, you said court stacking. But the Dems did try to redefine the term court packing. The Democrats could have confirmed Merrick Garland in the last year of Obama's term if they had controlled the Senate.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:08 pm
No, because I wasn't paying close enough attention last time.
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:39 am
I don't believe you're really this stupid. Jesus [vulgarity] Christ, really? Or did you just forget to mention the coma you were in during 2016? Other than your Perfume threads, this has to be the dumbest subject you've ever OPed.
Thanks to you too for the insults. Now that you've hopefully gotten them out of your system, care to take a gander at . . . oh, you know, actually answering my questions in the opening post?
You answered your own question. You weren't paying attention. You clearly asked your question out of ignorance of the events in 2016. That's why it's mysterious to you and nobody else.

I only insult you because I know you could be better than this, and it's annoying to witness you asking dumb questions.