Board Functions

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Board Functions

Post by Res Ipsa »

I am also overjoyed that the "unread posts" function works properly. And that I get a notification when someone quotes something I post. Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!!!!!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:32 pm
I am also overjoyed that the "unread posts" function works properly. And that I get a notification when someone quotes something I post. Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!!!!!
There are so many things that we have gone without. It will be a lot easier to use this board thanks to these little tools we have missed. My fingers are crossed that we will get the material from the old board over here and be able to search it with this functioning search engine.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

I've been trying to find a way to be invisible when logged in, as has been my long-term habit, but although I keep selecting the relevant option in my control panel, looking out and logging back in, it never seems to work.

Can anyone suggest a way round this?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap I don't know that there is a workaround though I haven't tried the hidden status feature. I shut off "notifications" and they returned. On the other hand, I also turned off chat sounds and removed the chat display. Those seem to be consistently holding.

Short answer: Don't know.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Chap wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:41 pm
I've been trying to find a way to be invisible when logged in, as has been my long-term habit, but although I keep selecting the relevant option in my control panel, looking out and logging back in, it never seems to work.

Can anyone suggest a way round this?
Hi Chap! Good to see you. The only thing that worked for me was to not use the log in spaces at the bottom, but rather select “log in “ from far right top, which opens a new pop-up screen where there are two options below the username box and the PW box, select “hide my status” then log in.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

If it shows your name in italics at the bottom of the screen it's working.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I would just like to say how disorienting it is as I am transferring some thread from the Old Country to the Promised Land here. The two sites are such clones I don't always know which one I am on from window to window. I've had to stop several times and ask myself "Wait. Where am I? Which board is that? What am I doing? " "Stop. Stop." :lol: Of course the names are slightly different, that helps.

Great work, Gad!

It's just a little dizzying! :shock:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:22 pm
If it shows your name in italics at the bottom of the screen it's working.
Goody! So it IS working ... thanks for explaining.

Maybe I might get a solution to a problem I posted elsewhere (probably in the wrong place):

I am trying to make my presence on this board as far as possible identical to what it was on the original board. To that end, I would like to restore my avatar, which commemorates an incident that took place in discussions with Professor Peterson quite a few years ago.

However, the only option currently offered to add an avatar is to 'upload from my machine'. For security reasons, I don't want to do that. Will there at some time in the future be an option to link to the web address of the image, which would preserve my 'cordon sanitaire'?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

What is the security risk of uploading an av?

I checked and there is a feature that does remote AVs, but it has a big red warning sign next to it as a potential security issue for the board. It's not really clear what they mean, and like a lot of things, I doubt it will be a problem, but I would like to understand it better first.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 am
I would just like to say how disorienting it is as I am transferring some thread from the Old Country to the Promised Land here. The two sites are such clones I don't always know which one I am on from window to window. I've had to stop several times and ask myself "Wait. Where am I? Which board is that? What am I doing? " "Stop. Stop." :lol: Of course the names are slightly different, that helps.

Great work, Gad!

It's just a little dizzying! :shock:
The most easily noticeable difference to me on my computer is that the old board has the words "Not secure" in front of the URL at the top of the screen. This was one of the most worrisome things about the old board to me.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.