RI: Anne of Green Gables

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

RI: Anne of Green Gables

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hi RI!

Do you remember on the old board I said that I was going to listen to Anne of Green Gables on audio book among others and you said you thought I would like it?

OMG. :shock: The way she weaves nature references into all of her stories sounds. like. ME. :shock: Although I wasn't near as bright as she when I was a child, I have a tendency to connect time, colors, feelings, events, smells, sounds, activity, experiences, interactions, and other things to nature.

Talk about a character's voice resonating with your own inner voice. I'm positively captivated by Anne!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Re: RI: Anne of Green Gables

Post by Res Ipsa »

I remember! I’m glad you are enjoying it!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:33 pm
Hi RI!

Do you remember on the old board I said that I was going to listen to Anne of Green Gables on audio book among others and you said you thought I would like it?

OMG. :shock: The way she weaves nature references into all of her stories sounds. like. ME. :shock: Although I wasn't near as bright as she when I was a child, I have a tendency to connect time, colors, feelings, events, smells, sounds, activity, experiences, interactions, and other things to nature.

Talk about a character's voice resonating with your own inner voice. I'm positively captivated by Anne!
I loved the Anne of Green Gables books!! I am so glad you are enjoying them. When you are ready, don't miss the movie versions. Colleen Dewhurst is emblazoned in my mind forever as Marilla Cuthbert. Strong determined women were rare in books and on screen when I was younger, this series impacted me immensely. Gene Stratton Porter (Freckles and A Girl of the Limberlost) and Noel Streatfeild (Ballet Shoes) were also huge favorites in that genre.

If you will admit a personal story, 'Ballet Shoes' was a very large, hardcover book, and I checked it out from our library one summer. (my mom took us to the library once a week religiously, my entire growing up years. She let me check out as many books as I wanted EVERY SINGLE TIME. It is probably the greatest memory of my youth that I have, staggering down the library front steps with easily 2 dozen books in my arms, over and over and OVER.)

Ballet Shoes was a favorite, and I checked it out multiple times to re-read it. One time, I dropped it into my bathtub, and I spent hours carefully drying each and every page, on both sides. Unfortunately, in the time between when I slipped the (finally!) dried off book in the book drop and when the librarian opened the bin, the not-quite-dry pages exploded like a blooming onion. The librarian called my Mom, and she took me down to the library to face my fate. I will never forget that neither the librarian nor my mom said a single harsh word to me, there was just some quiet whispering that the book would have to be replaced which my mom handled, and yes I could keep the saturated version.

That waterlogged book stayed in my library for years. Books are magic.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What a great memory. A good mother is invaluable to a child's development. My mom was also a big reader and I had similar motivations and warm memories of book reading thanks to her. <3

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Wow I expected this thread to be kind of a one and done deal. Didn't expect it to generate such lovely comments! I'd like to say that I'm sitting in a big chair with my feet up and cuppa on the side while listening to the story but the truth is I'm actually listening to the audio book while doing mind numbing and physical work not-fun around here.

I loved the comments about mother's encouraging you to read as children! Yes! I agree those mother's make a huge impact on their children's lives. I know when I was in elementary, I always read above grade level. I attribute that to the fact that I had a mother who read to me every day of my childhood and so of course, I did the same with my own children. Where we live out in the sticks, the local library system runs a book mobile. Throughout my children's childhoods we visited the book mobile every week and as Lemmie described, left with arms loaded with books! I hope my kids will remember that in years to come as fondly as Lemmie does! We did make trips to the library and hang out there for whole afternoons but the book mobile was our main source of supply.

As an adult, I almost never read fiction. If you look at my shelves or the basket near the actual cozy chair in question, you'll notice it's almost all biographies and historical material mainly having to do with causes such as the civil rights movement, things like that. I don't know why except for the fact that as an adult I am keen to hear the stories of people. I've said that here numerous times over the years. I want to know what a person's life was like, their childhood if I can get it, and try to discern their motivations especially when they encountered their greatest challenges--what kept them going and what did they rely on for their inner strength? What lessons or experiences in childhood drove them in certain ways? That's why I gush whenever you guys share personal stories here like Lemmie's story she shared about the library. It helps me to know you better and knowing you is what I want most because...everyone here has a story. I want to know the whole person that is you guys as much as I can know you on a screen.

Truth. The only fiction I've read in the past several years was the Harry Potter series. When the books started coming out, one of my kids wanted to read them. There was a big uproar amongst the Christian community and so I decided that I would read them with her so I could oversee the content. JK Rowling created a complex world with it's own language, it's own customs and societal issues, and once we boarded the train to Hogwarts together, we never came back. I'm talking two adults who now start the series all over again at the start of the Hogwarts school year every year and have traveled to Wizarding Worlds on both coasts. We're sick with it. :-)

I'm loving the audio book. It is content rich, takes you to a place in time where you've never been, and the character development (so far) is such that you feel you are coming to know them. I have no idea where the story goes or how it ends. I'll get there eventually!
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

A corollary. I told my husband my summer library story, and he had one of his own. He and his twin brother, and various multiples of his other siblings, would spend the summer with their bachelor Uncle in the woods. One summer, one of his aunts called his mom in shock, stating that she had visited the uncle, and found that the twins were reading-gasp- MAD magazine!!! Keep in mind, the twins were children 7 and 8 of 9. His Mom laughed and said "at least they are reading!"
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:02 am
A corollary. I told my husband my summer library story, and he had one of his own. He and his twin brother, and various multiples of his other siblings, would spend the summer with their bachelor Uncle in the woods. One summer, one of his aunts called his mom in shock, stating that she had visited the uncle, and found that the twins were reading-gasp- MAD magazine!!! Keep in mind, the twins were children 7 and 8 of 9. His Mom laughed and said "at least they are reading!"
I puffy heart this so much! I'm going to have to ask the big guy and even my children what their memories of the library are.

Speaking of woods. It is one of my dreams to go to Walden Pond in Autumn and sit under a tree while reading Walden (Life in the Woods) by Thoreau preferably by the site of his cabin. I'm dead freaking serious.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:06 am
Lem wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:02 am
I puffy heart this so much! I'm going to have to ask the big guy and even my children what their memories of the library are.

Speaking of woods. It is one of my dreams to go to Walden Pond in Autumn and sit under a tree while reading Walden (Life in the Woods) by Thoreau preferably by the site of his cabin. I'm dead freaking serious.
Do it! I walked around Walden Pond years ago and sat at the cabin site. It was a neat experience.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks for sharing your library stories. I don’t remember going to the public library as a kid, but I always raided the school library for books. My folks were both readers, so it was just what we did.

I love the story about the water-soaked book, Lem. The image of your somber trip to see the librarian is priceless!

Libby is my friend now, so I haven’t been to the library in ages.
he/him