Will Biden lock up more black people?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Brack wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:54 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 pm
If Rodney King had been beaten and George Floyd had been killed in the 1950's, that news would have been ignored, because there would have been no video documentation. With the invention and ubiquitous use of cell phones, the planet now has a billion news cameras ready to document what is happening. We are provided with a daily vlog of human behavior that has not had video documentation until now. It's all photographed, edited, and downloaded in a matter of minutes. As a species, we have seemingly grown a new set of nerve endings in a generation.
We no longer have any privacy when we are out in public.
Public is the opposite of private. Anything you say or do in public has always been fair game in lawsuits or newspaper reporting or whatever. The difference now is that it’s easy to both record public behavior and distribute those recordings.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” -- Voltaire
honorentheos
2nd Counselor
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by honorentheos »

The OP assumed criminal behavior would be ignored in the interest of taking a side based on racial prejudices.

That's just plain stupid. Well, I guess some police departments have operated under that premise so it's not unrealistic someone in power might behave that way. But it's still stupid thinking.
User avatar
ajax18
High Priest
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by ajax18 »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:53 am
The OP assumed criminal behavior would be ignored in the interest of taking a side based on racial prejudices.

That's just plain stupid. Well, I guess some police departments have operated under that premise so it's not unrealistic someone in power might behave that way. But it's still stupid thinking.
If Biden writes a hate crime statute for crimes against Asians and it ends up that by percentage more black people are incarcerated by this law, is this evidence of systemic racism in the law?
Analytics
Sunbeam
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by Analytics »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:31 am
Brack wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:54 pm


We no longer have any privacy when we are out in public.
Public is the opposite of private. Anything you say or do in public has always been fair game in lawsuits or newspaper reporting or whatever. The difference now is that it’s easy to both record public behavior and distribute those recordings.
I interpreted Brack's comment as being ironic.

I've started reading Barack Obama's A Promised Land (highly recommended, by the way). He talks about how, after the speech he gave at John Kerry's national convention, he would be out in public and people recognized him and wanted to say hi and get photographs with him and such. He said that he immediately began to miss the anonymity he previously had in public. Great choice of words.
Analytics
Sunbeam
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by Analytics »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:15 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:53 am
The OP assumed criminal behavior would be ignored in the interest of taking a side based on racial prejudices.

That's just plain stupid. Well, I guess some police departments have operated under that premise so it's not unrealistic someone in power might behave that way. But it's still stupid thinking.
If Biden writes a hate crime statute for crimes against Asians and it ends up that by percentage more black people are incarcerated by this law, is this evidence of systemic racism in the law?
It wouldn't be evidence of systemic racism in the law. It might be evidence of systemic racism in how the law is enforced. It depends upon whether the law is enforced fairly or not.
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Just as an example, the OP and others are making public claims that black folks commit a disproportionate number of hate crimes against Asians. If that leads police to focus on, say, patrolling areas where black folks live to protect Asians, they are more likely to arrest a disproportionate amount of black on Asian hate crimes. To a significant degree, the crime that police find is the crime that they are looking for. Minor drug possession charges are a prime example. The proportion of black folks arrested for minor drug possession as compared to white folks is way out of line with actual drug use by white and black folks. Why, because of how the police look for minor possession crimes. That's how systemic racism works. Nobody has to hate black folks for this to happen.

Now, assume Biden was racist against blacks. He could promote a special hate crime law that applies only to crimes against Asians, believing, as claimed in the OP, that it would result in mostly black people being arrested. But that's not systemic racism in the law -- it would be actual, subjective racism in Biden.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” -- Voltaire
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Analytics wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:31 am


Public is the opposite of private. Anything you say or do in public has always been fair game in lawsuits or newspaper reporting or whatever. The difference now is that it’s easy to both record public behavior and distribute those recordings.
I interpreted Brack's comment as being ironic.

I've started reading Barack Obama's A Promised Land (highly recommended, by the way). He talks about how, after the speech he gave at John Kerry's national convention, he would be out in public and people recognized him and wanted to say hi and get photographs with him and such. He said that he immediately began to miss the anonymity he previously had in public. Great choice of words.
That’s a great distinction to keep in mind: privacy v. anonymity.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” -- Voltaire
User avatar
ajax18
High Priest
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by ajax18 »

It wouldn't be evidence of systemic racism in the law. It might be evidence of systemic racism in how the law is enforced. It depends upon whether the law is enforced fairly or not.
Is it possible that more black people violently attack Asian people? Or can the racial disparity in the results only be due to some form of white on black racism?
User avatar
Moksha
Savior (resurrected state)
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 am
Location: Koloburbia

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:11 pm
Is it possible that more black people violently attack Asian people?
It's possible. Armed with that information, does it help in race-baiting outside this board?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
User avatar
ajax18
High Priest
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by ajax18 »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:31 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:11 pm
Is it possible that more black people violently attack Asian people?
It's possible. Armed with that information, does it help in race-baiting outside this board?
Congratulations Penguin, you just had your Twitter account suspended for admitting that!
Post Reply