Will this Kind of Outrage Never Stop?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Will this Kind of Outrage Never Stop?

Post by Gunnar »

I think it should go without saying that the prosecutors in charge of the case against Officer Chauvin deserve kudus for their excellent and competent presentation of their case, but I also think that Chauvin's defense team deserves considerable praise as well. I think they did their level best to give their client the best available benefit of the doubt, and to make sure that the rights of the defendant were also protected. Without the efforts of those competent defense attorneys, true justice could not have been fully served, in my opinion. That their best efforts to overcome the prosecution's case failed, only helped confirm the justice of the final verdict. Do any of you here who are lawyers disagree with that?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 am
I think it should go without saying that the prosecutors in charge of the case against Officer Chauvin deserve kudus for their excellent and competent presentation of their case, but I also think that Chauvin's defense team deserves considerable praise as well. I think they did their level best to give their client the best available benefit of the doubt, and to make sure that the rights of the defendant were also protected. Without the efforts of those competent defense attorneys, true justice could not have been fully served, in my opinion. That their best efforts to overcome the prosecution's case failed, only helped confirm the justice of the final verdict. Do any of you here who are lawyers disagree with that?
I'm not an attorney but here's my opinion anyway. Let's not forget that the defense was outnumbered and outfunded by the State of Minnesota. The prosecution had 4-5 attorneys in court each day, each of whom had the luxury of specializing in pieces of the case and enough money to pay the best experts they could find. One expert (the pulmonologist) testified without compensation (though his travel expenses might have been covered) and in my view, his was the most compelling testimony of all.

Eric Nelson, attorney for the defense, took it all on himself. I don't know if there were other attorneys behind him, but he was the only one in court each day. Given the overwhelming evidence in the case, he served his client well. He must be exhausted tonight. Job well done.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:42 am
Eric Nelson, attorney for the defense, took it all on himself. I don't know if there were other attorneys behind him, but he was the only one in court each day. Given the overwhelming evidence in the case, he served his client well. He must be exhausted tonight. Job well done.
Indeed! I didn't follow the case closely enough to know that he "took it all on himself." If so, all the more impressive.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:42 am
Indeed! I didn't follow the case closely enough to know that he "took it all on himself." If so, all the more impressive.
There were no other defense attorneys in court. That's all I know.

Go to bed, Gunnar. ;-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 am
Go to bed, Gunnar. ;-)
You too! ;)
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Frankly, given the overwhelming nature of the evidence against Chauvin, who shamelessly and mercilessly committed the murder on video in front of a group of people who, like the victim, implored him repeatedly to desist, and the paucity of the evidential or even rhetorical basis for constructing a defence, one defence lawyer was all that the circumstances required.

Any further lawyers for the defence would have been able to do no more than twiddle their thumbs and nod sagely from time to time.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Did you know Chauvin had 9 counts of tax evasion under his belt?

https://apnews.com/article/56bea6e3d1ea ... 22df43294f

Did you know that in 2017 Chauvin pinned a 14-year old boy for 17 minutes with his knee while ignoring the boy's pleas that he could not breathe? The boy briefly lost consciousness. In the same incident he hit the kid in the back of the head with his flashlight, threw him to the ground, and put his knee on the kids neck for 17 minutes, after which he started bleeding from the ear.

Did you know he had 18 complaints already against him? How many times did he do something where no complaints were filed? He had issues, and it makes sense, the sheer hubris of knowing he was being filmed, people begging him to get off Floyd’s neck, to just carry on. Why wouldn’t he? He had been getting away with his sadism for God knows how long.

On the upside the MPD is now hiring. Anyone up for a career in law enforcement in Minneapolis this year?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Don’t ever call the police. They are first responders and code enforcers for the state. They are not tasked to protect your community.
That actually sounds like some pretty good advice.

If it's a black suspect, it needs to be a black police officer that is tasked with arresting him. If you're white and you're tasked with arresting a black man or even worse a black woman, just let them go.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Did you know Chauvin had 9 counts of tax evasion under his belt?

https://apnews.com/article/56bea6e3d1ea ... 22df43294f

The complaints allege that from 2014 through 2019, the Chauvins underreported their joint income by $464,433.
That's some big money. Did he make that from private details?
Did you know that in 2017 Chauvin pinned a 14-year old boy for 17 minutes with his knee while ignoring the boy's pleas that he could not breathe? The boy briefly lost consciousness. In the same incident he hit the kid in the back of the head with his flashlight, threw him to the ground, and put his knee on the kids neck for 17 minutes, after which he started bleeding from the ear.
The knee to the neck is part of the Minneapolis police department procedure. It's not forbidden. I'm not sure if they changed it yet or not.
Did you know he had 18 complaints already against him? How many times did he do something where no complaints were filed? He had issues, and it makes sense, the sheer hubris of knowing he was being filmed, people begging him to get off Floyd’s neck, to just carry on. Why wouldn’t he? He had been getting away with his sadism for God knows how long.
Sean Hannity agreed with you on this.
On the upside the MPD is now hiring. Anyone up for a career in law enforcement in Minneapolis this year?
Hey that's my line. Wait till they put away the three officers who were helping Chauvin. I just don't understand what motivates these guys to do this job. Rusty Shesskey is back out on patrol in Kenosha, WI. Is having to deal with knife wielding rapists like Jacob Blake (and the powerful media mob who supports him) really worth retiring at 50 on an $8,5000/month pension? I can't believe Rusty is back doing that job.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:42 pm

The knee to the neck is part of the Minneapolis police department procedure. It's not forbidden. I'm not sure if they changed it yet or not.
According to law enforcement who testified under oath, right up to the Chief of Police and at least one national expert, Chauvin violated this training re: subdual restraint.

Slava Ukraini!