Daunte Wright, warrant for Aggravated Battery

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Daunte Wright, warrant for Aggravated Battery

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:40 pm
I have zero sympathy for Babbitt for a multitude of reasons, but she was, in fact not armed, could’ve been detained...

- Doc
I am curious about your comment that she could have been detained. It was my understanding that she pushed herself though a barricaded window, where a large group of others were intent on breaking through and were continuing their assault on the barriers. If I recall correctly, that barricade was the last before where the lawmakers were hidden, and the one who shot her was part of a group of officers who were the last defense.

Given that scenario, how could she have been detained without risking the group she was with breaking through that last barricade, and getting to the lawmakers?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Are extrajudicial killings cool as long as the person being killed is on the wrong side of the law or an ideology?
crickets
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The doors were barricaded pretty solidly. Here’s a video I googled of her getting shot:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/RzstProgramm ... 8798206978

Downthread there’s another video from a different angle:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/TaylerUSA/st ... 9898149888

From either video she didn’t make it through the window, but she could’ve been snagged and thrown to the ground or dragged away. Whether or not that would’ve been a deterrent or not for the people at the door is unknown.

Just so I’m being honest here, I would’ve shot the crap out of anyone, under similar a situation. But that’s not really the point, because the fact was she was unarmed, could’ve been detained, white, a woman, and was still put down.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 pm
The doors were barricaded pretty solidly. Here’s a video I googled of her getting shot:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/RzstProgramm ... 8798206978

Downthread there’s another video from a different angle:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/TaylerUSA/st ... 9898149888

From either video she didn’t make it through the window, but she could’ve been snagged and thrown to the ground or dragged away. Whether or not that would’ve been a deterrent or not for the people at the door is unknown.

Just so I’m being honest here, I would’ve shot the crap out of anyone, under similar a situation. But that’s not really the point, because the fact was she was unarmed, could’ve been detained, white, a woman, and was still put down.

- Doc
Was there someone behind her who could have detained her? I only saw video of seconds later when there were others in the staircase-could one of them detained her?

Just to note, I'm in agreement, I have no problem with her being shot as she broke through, as she was just the first wave of those pounding on the barricade.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

I think as she was ingressing through the window they could’ve executed a snatch and grab, or just knocked her out. This is kind of the problem with Monday morning quarterbacking things like this where we have the luxury of breaking down video and assessing the situation at our leisure. On one of the videos you can see a glimpse of a uniformed LEO, a guy in a suit and tie, and some heavily armed LEOs so I’m not sure what the make up of the crowd was regarding their propensity for murder. It’s highly unlikely that particular set of insurrectionists would’ve broken through the barricade especially given the heavily armed police literally standing on the steps a few feet away.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 pm
I think as she was ingressing through the window they could’ve executed a snatch and grab, or just knocked her out. This is kind of the problem with Monday morning quarterbacking things like this where we have the luxury of breaking down video and assessing the situation at our leisure. On one of the videos you can see a glimpse of a uniformed LEO, a guy in a suit and tie, and some heavily armed LEOs so I’m not sure what the make up of the crowd was regarding their propensity for murder. It’s highly unlikely that particular set of insurrectionists would’ve broken through the barricade especially given the heavily armed police literally standing on the steps a few feet away.

- Doc
Thanks, I see what you mean about the police behind her. One would hope the shooter knew they were there, but he may not have, right? No charges were issued against the shooter of the woman, If I recall correctly, so it seems they didn't consider his behavior inappropriate, even if a less deadly outcome could have happened. I have no problem with that, just to reiterate.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Yeah, I’m not sure how the Capitol police were communicating. I suspect there was some form of communication since police were pushing their way to Babbitt’s location. Also, from this Twitter video montage I guess there were five heavily armed police and one staffer - I think I mistook one of them for a regular uniformed Capitol LEO:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/bellingcat/s ... 77?lang=en

If I had to guess Ms. Babbitt saw her chance to go further was rapidly closing due to the 5 heavily armed police closing in on her position so she made the fateful decision to attempt an ingress.

- Doc
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 pm
Yeah, I’m not sure how the Capitol police were communicating. I suspect there was some form of communication since police were pushing their way to Babbitt’s location. Also, from this Twitter video montage I guess there were five heavily armed police and one staffer - I think I mistook one of them for a regular uniformed Capitol LEO:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/bellingcat/s ... 77?lang=en

If I had to guess Ms. Babbitt saw her chance to go further was rapidly closing due to the 5 heavily armed police closing in on her position so she made the fateful decision to attempt an ingress.

- Doc
and, may she rest in peace, in my opinion a singularly stupid decision on her behalf.
Last edited by Lem on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

It’s highly unlikely that particular set of insurrectionists would’ve broken through the barricade especially given the heavily armed police literally standing on the steps a few feet away.

- Doc
Going back to the Michael Brown case, does the police officer have to prove that he was in imminent mortal danger to avoid homicide prosecution for discharging his firearm? Were the police at the capital riot in mortal danger? Why didn't they have to prove that in court as officer Darrin Wilson did?
Last edited by ajax18 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Lem wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:24 pm
and, may she rest in peace, in my opinion a singularly stupid decision on her behalf.
As was her decision to place her trust in and devotion to Trump in the first place. It still boggles my mind how any human beings with enough intelligence to successfully balance and walk on two legs and feed themselves without drooling can fail to figure out what a corrupt, ignorant, narcissistic, utterly selfish and self-serving buffoon Trump is.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.