"Are you on your period or something?" and other sexist remarks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: "Are you on your period or something?" a sexist remark made HERE.

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:34 am
Analytics wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:27 pm
Thank you, Doc.

Lem,

I’m sorry for what I said. I was having a frustrating day in the real world, was oversensitive, and wrongly made an offensive comment. Thank you for calling me out on it and for explaining in detail why it was offensive.

Sincerely,

Roger
:lol: It seems to me that there was a bit of "ovary-action" on both sides of this discussion. I'm pleased to see it was finally amicably resolved. It was, wasn't it? I would hate to see two of my favorite posters remain at odds with each other.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Lem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:43 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:02 am
The landscape of men and women being equal does not mean a featureless landscape where we are all the same.
Absolutely. Why, then, if we (including WOMEN) are not all the same, does Analytics think it is acceptable to say this to a woman?
Analytics wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 pm

Your thinking is cloudy today. Are you on your period or something?
Does a period render a female unable to function? Or to think? NO. Do all women have periods? For their entire lives? NO.

But Analytics, who knows nothing about me except that I am a female who knows statistics, has reduced me to a hormonal response. And even worse, he has reduced me to a woman who DOESN'T know statistics when he thinks I am having a period, and who he thinks has responded to his bad statistical analysis, not with a statistical opinion but with a hormone-driven opinion. (he is so wrong.)

The sexism is appalling.
I wasn't defending the argument made by Analytics. I was pointing out that just because women have been unfairly accused of having their judgement be impaired by their hormones doesn't mean that human beings aren't affected by hormones. Some women who are given testosterone for medical reasons complain that they can't stop thinking about sex. Some men who are given estrogen for medical reasons complain of emotional lability.

The point I'm trying to make is that hormones are a physiological component that tend to promote different characteristics. They are not an absolute predictor, but we should not ignore their influence.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:44 am

I wasn't defending the argument made by Analytics.
Oh good.
I was pointing out that just because women have been unfairly accused....
Yes. Women have been unfairly accused. Hence, the title of this thread.

Are you on your period or something?" a sexist remark made HERE.

Let’s just remember that the above was said to a woman here, when she expressed an opinion a man didn’t like. She didn’t say anything about his hormones, she simply responded to his comment, like an adult would. Did you miss that? SHE RESPONDED TO HIS WORDS, HE IS THE ONE WHO TOOK IT TO A SEXIST PLACE BY ASKING A WOMAN IF SHE WAS HAVING HER PERIOD, AND THEREFORE WAS INCAPABLE OF A CONVERSATION.

Your two-way street, MeDotOrg, isn’t really two-way, is it?

Any men lately who have been accused of letting their hormones get the best of them? No? Just the women? Got it.

Thanks for weighing in. Let’s be fair to men. Especially when a man isn’t fair to a woman.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

And we were doing so good on this thread. There was resolution. Apologies. Laughter even. And now? More contention.

Pro tip: There's a time to recognize the natural and positive conclusion on a discussion thread and just leave it the hell be.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:30 am
canpakes wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:34 am

:lol: It seems to me that there was a bit of "ovary-action" on both sides of this discussion.
I'm pleased to see it was finally amicably resolved. It was, wasn't it? I would hate to see two of my favorite posters remain at odds with each other.
Bull-damned-crap. A woman disagreed with a man’s post. She used words, concepts, ideas.

The man posted
“Are you on your period or something?"

For you to define that as ” a bit of "ovary-action" on both sides of this discussion” is offensive and insensitive.

But thanks for weighing in. As I said before,

”Let’s be fair to men. Especially when a man isn’t fair to a woman.”

Do I need to add the /s? Or do you get it?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Perhaps it was insensitive of me to laugh at and quote canpakes' pun, but I don't apologize for thinking there was at least a bit of overreaction on both sides. Can we just forgive each other and move on?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Lem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:04 pm
Moksha wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:55 pm
Could somebody draw up a list of expressions not to use?
Really? You need a list?
It would be helpful. Might help people from saying the wrong thing. If not a comprehensive list then a good general guideline.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:10 am
Perhaps it was insensitive of me to laugh at and quote canpakes' pun, but I don't apologize for thinking there was at least a bit of overreaction on both sides. Can we just forgive each other and move on?
Of course. A woman disagreed with a man’s post. She used words, concepts, ideas. And then the man posted
“Are you on your period or something?"

Then, a poster defined that as “a bit of "ovary-action" on both sides of this discussion.”

the woman in question says:
”Let’s be fair to men. Especially when a man isn’t fair to a woman.”

So of course. Let’s forgive the woman for pointing out that it was inappropriate for the man to comment in a sexist manner, while we similarly forgive the man for commenting in a sexist manner.

Seriously? You have got to be damned kidding me. Do you honestly think that a man saying “Are you on your period or something?" is on the same level as a woman saying that she thinks a man’s post is sexist?

Seriously?
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:18 am
Lem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Really? You need a list?
It would be helpful. Might help people from saying the wrong thing. If not a comprehensive list then a good general guideline.
If you need a list ask your Mommy. Or interact with human women.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Lem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:00 pm
Analytics wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:27 pm
Thank you, Doc.

Lem,

I’m sorry for what I said. I was having a frustrating day in the real world, was oversensitive, and wrongly made an offensive comment. Thank you for calling me out on it and for explaining in detail why it was offensive.

Sincerely,

Roger
Jersey Girl said I should read your last post, which I had not done before now.

Thank you. I apologize also for not more appropriately explaining my initial perception re: your comment about the missionary stats.
Thanks.

Referring to my ranking on this forum, I think I lost my cool as a sunbeam, and have now graduated to the Star A program. I'm hoping that means I just got baptized and my sins are washed away.