"Are you on your period or something?" and other sexist remarks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: "Are you on your period or something?" a sexist remark made HERE.

Post by Gunnar »

Lem wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:27 pm
I agree Gunner. . .
I'm glad you agree, but my name is Gunnar, not Gunner. :) You are far from the first to make that mistake, however.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 pm
Lem wrote:
I agree Gunner. . .
I'm glad you agree, but my name is Gunnar, not Gunner. :) You are far from the first to make that mistake, however.
My apologies, Gunnar! I have corrected the error.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Lem wrote:
I agree Gunner. . .
When I noticed it was spelled that way, I started reading it with the emphasis on the second syllable rather than the first. Makes it sound exotic as well as helps me to remember it's not a military reference.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Lem wrote:
One last quote:
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:14 am
Or do you think I'm only calling you out so it's attacking you and I feel safe doing so because you're a woman? Maybe that's it. I am known for not getting into it with people unless I feel I can bully them around and have the crowd and popular opinion on my side.
:roll: maybe honorentheos revealed more than he realized with this post.
It seems this ping returned with a hit. Interesting. My second ping would be to probe if you believe your manner of responding to people on the related topics reflects how you believe men feel entitled to respond with hostility and attempted domination?

I doubt it will be anytime soon, nor likely be on this board when it happens. But I hope some day the idea that you are hiding bad behavior behind the cover of a sensitive subject doesn't justify the bad behavior will help.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:36 am
Gunnar wrote:

When I noticed it was spelled that way, I started reading it with the emphasis on the second syllable rather than the first. Makes it sound exotic as well as helps me to remember it's not a military reference.
Great advice! I'll give that a try.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:36 am
Gunnar wrote:

You assumed correctly. I do pronounce my name with the accent on the second syllable. Few people automatically make that correct connection like you did, without me correcting them first. The "ar" at the end of my name is pronounced more like the word "are" than like "er" as most people mistakenly do when they first meet me.

ETA: Incidentally, if I were Danish, instead of Norwegian, the accent would be on the first syllable. That's how my Danish friends and acquaintances pronounce it.
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:59 am
Can we perhaps do that now?
In a minute.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:39 am
Gunnar wrote:
In a minute.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:43 am
canpakes wrote:

In a minute.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed! Can we all be friends again now?
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

canpakes wrote:
Gunnar wrote:
In a minute.

:lol: too funny. (And for those women who don't bake, there is no rule that says you can't keep a rolling pin FOR ANY REASON YOU WANT. 8-) )