Gun Violence

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Gun Violence

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:03 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:40 pm
Lets say a typical school has 30 teachers and 6 staff members. Arming 10 of those individuals would decrease School shootings down to almost nothing in my opinion. What if we did this across the country?
… rather than assuming armed teachers will conveniently offer any special protection for the kids.
-_-

Good, Lord. How many times do the not-insane have to explain to these people why arming educators with weapons is bananas? I can’t even.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I can delete what I was going to write because pretty much dup to what Res said. I'd only add that school shootings are rare, even if not rare enough. Out of all of those teachers, a handful will ever be in the position where suddenly, 'active shooter' is announced over the intercom. Now, a teacher has to hunt down and kill a student, and without harming any other students, and with 9 other teachers walking the halls with guns.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:27 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:03 pm
… rather than assuming armed teachers will conveniently offer any special protection for the kids.
-_-

Good, Lord. How many times do the not-insane have to explain to these people why arming educators with weapons is bananas? I can’t even.

- Doc

You guys crack me up😂. Do you realize right now as you're reading this there's 10s of 1000s of reserve and auxiliary police officers on patrol or helping to serve warrants? Some are paid ok money, but there's also a large portion who volunteer for as little as $5. Most take the same training as a full time officer. They have a regular full time job and they come from all walks of life including lawyers, doctors, plumbers, shoe salesman, and guess what!! Even TEACHERS!! 🤯🤯
Let's say we gave teachers the option to go to the police academy and take the exact same classes and training that full time police officers do? If they make it through the academy they're LEO certified and have the power of arrest. While in school these teachers can wear a gun and a badge as long as they are update on all of their ongoing training including weapons training.
Basically, all I've suggested is to have qualified people in a school with weapons to help deter school shooters and if one does come in and starts shooting, they will provide protection for the students. The problem we're having now is if there's a school shooting, by the time the 911 call is made it could be 2 to 8 minutes before an officer shows up in the parking lot. He will usually wait for a backup officer and now 10 minutes have passed. That's not an ideal situation. Have you ever noticed that when a school shooting happens lots of people (officers) with guns rush to the school!! That's right!! People with guns rush to the scene!! All I'm proposing is to have fully trained people with guns in the building incase a shooter comes in. In a school shooting every second counts.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:23 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:27 pm

-_-

- Doc

You guys crack me up😂. Do you realize right now as you're reading this there's 10s of 1000s of reserve and auxiliary police officers on patrol or helping to serve warrants? Some are paid ok money, but there's also a large portion who volunteer for as little as $5. Most take the same training as a full time officer. They have a regular full time job and they come from all walks of life including lawyers, doctors, plumbers, shoe salesman, and guess what!! Even TEACHERS!! 🤯🤯
Let's say we gave teachers the option to go to the police academy and take the exact same classes and training that full time police officers do? If they make it through the academy they're LEO certified and have the power of arrest. While in school these teachers can wear a gun and a badge as long as they are update on all of their ongoing training including weapons training.
Basically, all I've suggested is to have qualified people in a school with weapons to help deter school shooters and if one does come in and starts shooting, they will provide protection for the students. The problem we're having now is if there's a school shooting, by the time the 911 call is made it could be 2 to 8 minutes before an officer shows up in the parking lot. He will usually wait for a backup officer and now 10 minutes have passed. That's not an ideal situation. Have you ever noticed that when a school shooting happens lots of people (officers) with guns rush to the school!! That's right!! People with guns rush to the scene!! All I'm proposing is to have fully trained people with guns in the building incase a shooter comes in. In a school shooting every second counts.
Uh, serving a warrant is nowhere near the same thing as trying to to find and shoot the guy with a gun in a crowded school. Yes, it's true that some people with guns rush to the scene of a school shooting. What's the total number of those individuals that have shot a school shooter?

Even fully trained LEO's make mistakes that kill innocent people, including kids. Teacher is a full-time job. Good teacher is more than a full time job. No teacher, let alone a good teacher, is going to be able to be as well trained as the average LEO. Have you done the math on the rate of accidental police shootings vs. the rate of school shootings? That would be a natural starting point.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I ask again. Why is triage the approach to addressing our school children's safety? Why not approach it as preventative and a culture issue rather than one where applying a tourniquet is seen as reasonable? The entire premise of arming school teachers assumes we are in a unavoidable, perpetual crisis that demands emergency decision making and acceptable levels of collateral damage.

That's the real problem, in my opinion.
Last edited by honorentheos on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
You guys crack me up😂. Do you realize right now as you're reading this there's 10s of 1000s of reserve and auxiliary police officers on patrol or helping to serve warrants? Some are paid ok money, but there's also a large portion who volunteer for as little as $5. Most take the same training as a full time officer. They have a regular full time job and they come from all walks of life including lawyers, doctors, plumbers, shoe salesman, and guess what!! Even TEACHERS!!
So, hire one of these guys as a school security guard for $5 a day, and be done with it.

Next question?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

canpakes wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:49 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
You guys crack me up😂. Do you realize right now as you're reading this there's 10s of 1000s of reserve and auxiliary police officers on patrol or helping to serve warrants? Some are paid ok money, but there's also a large portion who volunteer for as little as $5. Most take the same training as a full time officer. They have a regular full time job and they come from all walks of life including lawyers, doctors, plumbers, shoe salesman, and guess what!! Even TEACHERS!!
So, hire one of these guys as a school security guard for $5 a day, and be done with it.

Next question?
I’m perpetually astonished how someone’s brain fantasy somehow makes it into their reality. It’s really as simple as just thinking of the first thing that comes to their mind and then posting it. And then it’s, “Next!”

Furthermore, in order to disabuse them of their fantastically unthinking position you have to type a lot because *persuasive argument that requires reason and facts*. But they ain’t readin’ that crap. Perhaps a cartoon will work:

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Suppose that every cop and every national guard person has what it takes to hunt down a student in a crowded school along with 9 others all dressed casually; able to kill the perpetrator with hesitation; able to keep the firearm safe at all times. Totally unrealistic but suppose that much is true.

The original figure was 1 out of 3 teachers are armed. When hiring teachers, while i'm sure some SWAT personnel might know their history and have a ton of patience for middle-schoolers, in general, I've got a big hiring problem. If I have 2 applicants, one is super qualified as a teacher but the other is far less qualified, yet is a crack shot and a machine on the battle field, then I'm often going to have to pick substandard teachers just to get the firearm expertise. That's pretty ridiculous.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

honor wrote:I ask again. Why is triage the approach to addressing our school children's safety?
Because the other options require firearm restrictions. If I can't have 132 semi-auto AR-style rifles with deep magazines, which are much more fun to shoot than some old-school '.06, then my pleasure as a gun enthusiast is significantly capped. The only viable options are those that maximize the proliferation of the most efficient guns for killing humans. in order to keep costs down and ensure plenty of variety.