Gun Violence

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Gun Violence

Post by Atlanticmike »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:04 am
canpakes wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:49 pm

So, hire one of these guys as a school security guard for $5 a day, and be done with it.

Next question?
I’m perpetually astonished how someone’s brain fantasy somehow makes it into their reality. It’s really as simple as just thinking of the first thing that comes to their mind and then posting it. And then it’s, “Next!”

Furthermore, in order to disabuse them of their fantastically unthinking position you have to type a lot because *persuasive argument that requires reason and facts*. But they ain’t readin’ that crap. Perhaps a cartoon will work:

So you think it's safer for the students to be in a school and the only armed person is the individual who walked in the school with a gun and dead set on killing as many people as possible? Do you have a solution for school shootings you're willing to share?
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:49 pm
I ask again. Why is triage the approach to addressing our school children's safety? Why not approach it as preventative and a culture issue rather than one where applying a tourniquet is seen as reasonable? The entire premise of arming school teachers assumes we are in a unavoidable, perpetual crisis that demands emergency decision making and acceptable levels of collateral damage.

That's the real problem, in my opinion.
Preventive and cultural issues are very important when considering not just school shootings but other violent gun crimes also, I agree.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:33 pm
I can delete what I was going to write because pretty much dup to what Res said. I'd only add that school shootings are rare, even if not rare enough. Out of all of those teachers, a handful will ever be in the position where suddenly, 'active shooter' is announced over the intercom. Now, a teacher has to hunt down and kill a student, and without harming any other students, and with 9 other teachers walking the halls with guns.
Yes. Better than waiting 6 minutes for the police to show up in my opinion.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:37 am
So you think it's safer for the students to be in a school and the only armed person is the individual who walked in the school with a gun and dead set on killing as many people as possible? Do you have a solution for school shootings you're willing to share?
I thought you lived out here in the East, AM. Don't you already have armed security positions in public schools in your state?
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Lem wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:50 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:37 am
I thought you lived out here in the East, AM. Don't you already have armed security positions in public schools in your state?
I'm in Virginia and yes a lot of schools have a resource officer roaming the halls. Do you think that is a good idea?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here’s a pretty comprehensive list of mass shootings in the US this year:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting

How did all them auxiliary police stop them?

-_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:01 am
Lem wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:50 am

I'm in Virginia and yes a lot of schools have a resource officer roaming the halls. Do you think that is a good idea?
You didn't answer my question. Don't you already have armed security positions in public schools in your state?
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Lem wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:19 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:01 am

You didn't answer my question. Don't you already have armed security positions in public schools in your state?

Yes, I'm sure there's armed security in my state. In my area I've only seen resource officers that a lot of the time are traffic officers that needed a break or officers that like to interact with youth. They do a great job. Why do you ask?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:24 am
Vaccination does nothing once you've had the disease. It didn't help me nor any of the people I shared airspace with. It's a waste of time, money, and resources but I knew it wasn't going to hurt me either.
Quite likely, a good percentage of the over 600K Americans now dead from COVID would disagree with your reasoning. If only we could ask them.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:25 am
Lem wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:19 am

Yes, I'm sure there's armed security in my state. In my area I've only seen resource officers that a lot of the time are traffic officers that needed a break or officers that like to interact with youth. They do a great job. Why do you ask?
You are specifically making a recommendation of adding more guns into schools, which is why I asked my very specific question. Your comment above still didn’t clearly answer the question, unless you really just don’t know, so I will try a third time : Do you or do you not know whether you have armed security positions in public schools in your state?