On Sensitivity and Specificity

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Re: On Sensitivity and Specificity

Post by Morley »

Chap wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:23 am

Why does everything have to 'belong' to some currently identifiable and presently existing group? Pretty well every aspect of the culture I was brought up in has been appropriated by people in other parts of the world and adapted for their own purposes, and do you know what? I simply couldn't give a damn about it.
Everything doesn't "have to 'belong' to some currently identifiable and presently existing group." Cultural diffusion is a wonderful thing. In some disciplines, like art history, however, it's a sensitive subject. I"ll write more about this when I'm able.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:15 am
Perhaps one of the most implausible things I found about the series was the idea that someone like Trump would have knowingly appointed someone as inherently principled and decent as Naird, rather than General Grabaston to head the Space Force.
LOL... that's pretty funny, Gunnar.

It definitely is a plot hole.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Morley wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:23 pm
Cultural diffusion is a wonderful thing. In some disciplines, like art history, however, it's a sensitive subject.
Yup. I had sort of noticed that.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Chap wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:49 pm
Morley wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:23 pm
Cultural diffusion is a wonderful thing. In some disciplines, like art history, however, it's a sensitive subject.
Yup. I had sort of noticed that.
I think it's because, while white supremest ideology is a thing, so are its more secretive siblings, whom, like Voldemort, do not wish to be named. Racist tropes depend on the concept that the culture of one group (in this case, Europeans) is superior to every other marginalized, colonized, and ignored group. This is done, in part, by saying that all the valuable and good aspects of culture are were invented by us. Another way this is accomplished is by adopting what we see as the desirable aspects of another culture and saying, "See, we took this and improved on it!"

I imagine that this tendency is an especially sensitive subject when it presents around indicators of culture like art, literature, and music.

Morley
God

Post by Morley »

But then, Chap, I know you already know this stuff, as the following comment suggests:
Chap wrote:
* By which, of course, I mean not just sitting isolated in an Anglophone bubble of 'ex-pats', but actually interacting with the population around you and (shock!! horror!!!) taking at least the trouble to learn the elementary forms of respectful communication in the majority language of the culture in question.
So, I'm basically preaching to the Imam.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Morley wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:23 pm
But then, Chap, I know you already know this stuff, as the following comment suggests:
Chap wrote:
* By which, of course, I mean not just sitting isolated in an Anglophone bubble of 'ex-pats', but actually interacting with the population around you and (shock!! horror!!!) taking at least the trouble to learn the elementary forms of respectful communication in the majority language of the culture in question.
Well, why don't we just say that we feel the same way and would like to share with others the delights that await those who try it for themselves?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, in a nutshell, what’s the difference between cultural fusion and cultural appropriation for us plebians?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:49 pm
So, in a nutshell, what’s the difference between cultural fusion and cultural appropriation for us plebians?

- Doc
In my experience, those are not the names of two separate things with a well-defined and objective content. They are just a couple of verbal gestures used by people with different rhetorical aims. Speaking personally, I have no use for either.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Chap wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Morley wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:23 pm

Well, why don't we just say that we feel the same way and would like to share with others the delights that await those who try it for themselves?
I thought we were. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Chap wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:58 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:49 pm

- Doc
In my experience, those are not the names of two separate things with a well-defined and objective content. They are just a couple of verbal gestures used by people with different rhetorical aims. Speaking personally, I have no use for either.
When is culture "well-defined and objective"? You're kidding me.