Makiah Bryant - Unbelievable

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Makiah Bryant - Unbelievable

Post by ajax18 »

Maybe more counseling or mental health services will nip this in the bud since the adults in these kids’ lives are Crap at parenting or mentoring or even knowing what they’re up to.
Ma'Khia Bryant's family is looking to sue the taxpayer. I'm not sure if that's the police department or the foster care system. Someone has to be held responsible they say. I'm sure any kind of personal responsibility is out of the question.
The family of Ma’Khia Bryant, the teenager a policeman shot and killed Tuesday in Ohio, is reportedly considering taking legal action.

Bryant called police when two women came to her foster home in Columbus and began fighting with her, according to Deja Torrence, who is a cousin, Insider reported Friday.

“Torrence said her mother, Hazel Bryant, and Bryant’s biological mother, Paula, had spoken throughout the week, including Friday morning. They are talking with a lawyer and want to take legal action,” the outlet continued.

The cousin stated someone must be “held accountable” because “The family just doesn’t want this to be another senseless killing that goes under the rug and gets overlooked.”

However, Torrence did not say who family members want to take legal action against or detail a timeline for those plans, but claimed the foster system failed her cousin.

“There’s been some talk about the foster family in the past, of how she’s had issues with the foster family. So as a family, we’ve tried to kind of navigate that over the years,” Torrence commented.

“I haven’t been in contact with them, but I want people to know that we should be holding somebody accountable for the 16-year-old kid’s death,” she said.

The Columbus Division of Police released bodycam video showing the shooting of the teenager who appeared to be armed with a knife.

“The video appears to show the girl fighting with another girl as the officer opens fire,” Breitbart News reported Tuesday.

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO

A neighbor of the teenager reportedly said video footage captured by his security camera made him believe the officer had no choice but to shoot.

“It was violent and all just happened so fast,” Donavon Brinson told reporters.

The police officer was later identified as Nicholas Reardon. He was removed from street duty as the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation looked into the shooting, the Insider article concluded.
https://www.breitbart.com/health/2021/0 ... al-action/
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:29 am
Imnsho, if Leftists and BLM types are going to protest every shooting then we’re just going to have more “kids” knife fighting as they’re apparently known to do, and law enforcement will have to resort to less effective means to prevent a murder from happening - In other words, more victims are going to die. Maybe more counseling or mental health services will nip this in the bud since the adults in these kids’ lives are Crap at parenting or mentoring or even knowing what they’re up to.
[My emphasis added]

I think you would find that even in the US many police officers would agree with the UK police chief I quoted earlier, who said that so far as crime reduction is concerned, he'd like 80% of any investment to go into dealing with poverty and its consequences, because he believes that would be much more effective in terms of crime reduction than using all the money on more policing.

Just about the worse way of reducing inter-youth violence is having an overstressed police officer rush to the scene with a lethal weapon and make a split-second decision about:

(a) Is there a risk of serious or fatal bodily injury being imminently inflicted by one of the people I see in front of me?
(b) If so, is there someone I ought to shoot in order to prevent such serious or fatal bodily injury being being inflicted?

But if that's all you've got, that's what you'll get.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I think you could spend 100% of the money spent on policing on social welfare programs and you would see even more poverty than before. I don't even want to think about the amonut of crime once the police are abolished and the 2nd amendment repealed.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:37 pm
I think you could spend 100% of the money spent on policing on social welfare programs and you would see even more poverty than before.
Do you? Personally I prefer to follow the view of an experienced police chief in a high crime area when he says that given five billion pounds to spend he would allocate 80% to poverty reduction. Optometrical experience somehow seems a lot less of a base on which to express an opinion.
ajax18 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:37 pm
I don't even want to think about the amonut of crime once the police are abolished and the 2nd amendment repealed.
Yeah, yeah. As if either measure was a serious possibility in the years of the Biden presidency. Calm down.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

essentially, Chap wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm
[to reduce violent crime to reduce poverty]
this
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Morley wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:04 pm
essentially, Chap wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm
[to reduce violent crime to reduce poverty]
this
Yep verily.

(Reducing poverty can also reduce non-violent crime, at least those in the Les Misérables/Jean Valjean vein.)
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

The Chinese thinker and teacher Meng Ke lived about 320 BC and is traditionally regarded as being the successor to Confucius. He said something that amounted to:

"Basically, people are born OK and will stay that way, so long as you don't screw up the circumstances under which they have to live their lives. If you do, don't be surprised if they go wrong."

There's a lot in that, I think.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I mean, if were talking about a Confucianist he’s probably saying something to the effect of don’t be a crappy parent.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:46 pm
I mean, if were talking about a Confucianist he’s probably saying something to the effect of don’t be a crappy parent.

- Doc
Actually, a lot of what he said was addressed to the rulers of his age. He was concerned, amongst other things, about rulers who were primarily concerned with making money at the expense of basic decency, and the effect that this example would have on the ways their subjects lived their lives.

How different his world was from ours ...
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:21 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:46 pm

- Doc
Actually, a lot of what he said was addressed to the rulers of his age. He was concerned, amongst other things, about rulers who were primarily concerned with making money at the expense of basic decency, and the effect that this example would have on the ways their subjects lived their lives.

How different his world was from ours ...
Sure. I was thinking of this quote
The root of the kingdom is in the state. The root of the state is in the family. The root of the family is in the person of its head.
regarding the foundations of power within Confucianist thought. I believe, and I could be wrong, they thought the individual was primarily responsible for their life and that flows upward just as much as bad policy (kings) flows downward. I’m not sure how much ‘meng ke’ was devoted to Marxist political theory.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.