In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

Post by Res Ipsa »

Chap wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:20 am
Thanks! You made my day, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Re: In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

Post by dantana »

Yeah, I know. This thread needs to die. Just a couple of things though. When I said that I hadn't read all the posts on this topic comprehensively, that was accurate but not really correct. I felt I had read the parts pertinent to my posting. See, I was mostly just attempting to extricate myself, (my 2nd attempt) and didn't expect to be flayed for it. I've just never been too keen on being held up as the example of how to post like an idiot.

Anyway, I thought there was a chance Mok's "continue our cruise on Haiphong Harbor pretending everything is normal despite the explosions." could be referencing Analytics posting along casually and then having Lem jump him. So I inquired as to that. Lem responded to me courteously with her take.

My response to Lem was my first attempt to get out... "Ok Lem, thanks for the explanation, I guess I was having some cog dis as to the odd behavior of the Mok"

Lem responded with "No problem, I'm happy to explain how it is that a crude sexist slur, made in a public conversation, caused a woman

"to take the great indignation that she responded with." :roll:

A couple of things wrong with that. (1) for some reason Lem conflated the two articles at the heart of this whole nonsense. Lem's first taking issue with an Analytics post, and Analytics 'period' response, with Lem wrongfully representing that I wrote she took 'great indignation' with the latter. Clearly I didn't. (2) Pretty goddamn snarky considering my post she was responding to was an attempt to curtail. I could see how a person could consider that 'asshole' behavior.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=780&start=70
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

dantana wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 am
This thread needs to die.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

This thread needs to die.

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, are we all agreed that when individual posters want a thread to die, that instead of not participating on the thread anymore, they can just spam the thread with images that tickle their fancy? Because if that's the case, I don't want to hear crap about crap when I start crapping up threads with unrelated images in an attempt to shut down the conversation.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:36 pm
So, are we all agreed that when individual posters want a thread to die, that instead of not participating on the thread anymore, they can just spam the thread with images that tickle their fancy? Because if that's the case, I don't want to hear crap about crap when I start crapping up threads with unrelated images in an attempt to shut down the conversation.

- Doc
Great. Now I'm being scolded and warned by Cam about the images I have posted. Fine.

Images do convey thought, do they not? A picture is worth a thousand words. That said, you yourself are posting about the nature of the thread instead of posting to the topic itself. So what's the difference between that and posting an image about it?

The truth is, that any one of the teeming masses here at MDB can fire up the thread again if they so choose and if they receive response. The truth is, that if we had a working mod team, the thread starter (or anyone else who objects to a post or spamming or crapping or whatever) could have the comments split off to maintain the integrity of the topic. But we don't have that.

Here's an attempt to fire it up.

Why did a male poster choose to describe a female poster as an "asshole"? Where I come from, the word asshole is typically reserved for males, as well is the word "bastard". The words "bitch" or "CUNextTuesday" are reserved for females.

Is the use of the word asshole in the context of this thread actually a nod to feminism? And if it is a nod to feminism, why lean over into using male insults towards a female? Is this a function of attempted feminism or simply a case of someone who doesn't know their bitch from their asshole?

There. Attempted firing up. And not only that, it's on topic.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

I wasn’t really scolding you, I had Chap in mind. It’s just hard to keep continuity when Mrs. Doubtfire is interrupting a conversation with god-tier English passive-aggressiveness.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:30 pm
I wasn’t really scolding you, I had Chap in mind. It’s just hard to keep continuity when Mrs. Doubtfire is interrupting a conversation with god-tier English passive-aggressiveness.

- Doc
Why weren't you scolding me? I can take it. Also with regard to to your crapping up threads. I'm probably your greatest fan. I freaking love it when you do that. It's like one of the best things that happens on this dull ass board. And if I didn't love it, I'd scroll on by or put you on ignore until you were done.

Some of your attack posts are damn artistic. Art is a form of self expression. So are photographic images.

So there.

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Why weren't you scolding me?
Probably because you only had two pic posts, and the second one was related to a previous pic post, so it was fairly contextual. Look. Imma just come out and say it. I’m going to post horse dicks on threads I want shut down.

Here’s a horse dick because this thread is basically over now:

Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.