In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:08 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:00 am
If there aren't any, what the hell are you two doing?
Pulling teeth, mostly.

RI this is what happens when a thread goes long. The discussion begins. People participate. The thread branches off into sub-threads--reference to the old threaded formats which I would prefer to this linear format--and then, as the thread has long passed it's expiration date, it evolves into the meta discussion as honor noted.

As I mentioned previously, this board used to observe a thread starter rule where the thread started had control over the topic and could ask people to stay on topic and/or ask moderators to split off the off topic comments. And they did.

As it stands right now, we don't even have a regularly working moderator to ask to make the splits.

So. Here we are.

The other thing is this. While I can well understand why you don't want people to discuss exchanges that have taken place between you and Lem, I've always operated under the theory that if someone has put a thing on the table then it's fair game. Just like Lem v. Analytics. Just like Cam v. Moksha. And all of the other posters who chose to comment on those sub-threads and then partake of the meta discussion.

And around and around and around it goes. The horse is beaten, buried, dug up, beaten, buried, dug up, wash, rinse, repeat, stinking carcass included. I'd personally love it if the thread starter could request that a thread be locked. But that can't happen now. I don't think it's even possible to make a motion to the board and get a timely response, much less a ruling.

I'm not going to discuss the exchanges that honor offered as examples, because that is really not what I wanted when I made my request.
I understand. That's why I added the sugar on top. ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Thinking About Feminism

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:49 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:14 am
Over the course of multiple threads I've found myself thinking, "If Lem didn't act like an asshole towards people it would probably make the conversation go better." But then, what do I know. I'm a guy and apparently being an asshole towards an individual due to pent up anger and frustration is not questionable because guys have been pricks towards women forever. So to speak about individual behavior is off limits.

I think that's an insurmountable problem in these threads.
This is my post you quoted. I assume you know you can click on the arrow in the quote and be taken to it? I referenced the exchange that happened above it - again, which you quoted - as the specific and most recent exchange that motivated me to engage. If you want to be walked through it I'll revisit later. I thought that was pretty straight forward.
I want you to do what I asked you to do when I couldn't find what you referenced. I want you to link and quote it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Re: In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 am
Hmmm. Another conundrm. On the one hand, I think you're right. In fact, I thought your point was right before you said it.

BUT, and it's a big but, I didn't see you consider that using other people's unpleasant experiences was possibly a sucky thing to do to someone to explore broad topics like the ones behind this great train wreck that I'm just doing the fun work of setting fire to the remains.

Message boards like this aren't good vehicles for abstract discussions about the topics of these threads where people end up engaged personally. Sucks it happened to you, Res. But that's how these things go. It's a good example, and for the good of society you're getting your turn on the shame shelf.

Sorry. But hey, maybe we'll all end up moving the needle a bit? You'll be fine. Right? It's good. Character building or something.
Honor, I honestly don't understand what you are talking about. This is a choice you and Jersey Girl are making. I asked. Both of you said no. It's fine. We're good. And I don't feel any shame. Why would I?
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:17 am
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 am
Hmmm. Another conundrm. On the one hand, I think you're right. In fact, I thought your point was right before you said it.

BUT, and it's a big but, I didn't see you consider that using other people's unpleasant experiences was possibly a sucky thing to do to someone to explore broad topics like the ones behind this great train wreck that I'm just doing the fun work of setting fire to the remains.

Message boards like this aren't good vehicles for abstract discussions about the topics of these threads where people end up engaged personally. Sucks it happened to you, Res. But that's how these things go. It's a good example, and for the good of society you're getting your turn on the shame shelf.

Sorry. But hey, maybe we'll all end up moving the needle a bit? You'll be fine. Right? It's good. Character building or something.
Honor, I honestly don't understand what you are talking about. This is a choice you and Jersey Girl are making. I asked. Both of you said no. It's fine. We're good. And I don't feel any shame. Why would I?
I said no to what, please?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you said you wouldn't discuss what Honor had given you so far for reasons of your own. It sounded like "no" to my request.

ETA: And this sounded like "no' as well:
The other thing is this. While I can well understand why you don't want people to discuss exchanges that have taken place between you and Lem, I've always operated under the theory that if someone has put a thing on the table then it's fair game. Just like Lem v. Analytics. Just like Cam v. Moksha. And all of the other posters who chose to comment on those sub-threads and then partake of the meta discussion.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:00 am
Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you said you wouldn't discuss what Honor had given you so far for reasons of your own. It sounded like "no" to my request.
Stop talking to me. I'm dead. :lol:

If I'm not going to discuss it, aren't I still meeting your request? Stop discussing me not discussing it.
That's not a no. It's a statement of principle and a side of commentary on thread evolution.

I'm off to continue being dead now. Stop talking to me. :lol:

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:10 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:00 am

If I'm not going to discuss it, aren't I still meeting your request? Stop discussing me not discussing it.

That's not a no. It's a statement of principle and a side of commentary on thread evolution.

If you're dead, you can't hear me. Unless you're a ghost. OK, now I'm scared. Bye!
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:15 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:10 am

If you're dead, you can't hear me. Unless you're a ghost. OK, now I'm scared. Bye!

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:18 am

“…To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart, I stab at thee; for hate’s sake, I spit my last breath at thee.”
- Moby-Dick, quoted by Khan Noonien Singh
he/him

Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.