The MCU

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

The MCU

Post by Some Schmo »

Anyone here a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

My wife wanted Disney+ exclusively because of the Hamilton movie, so we bought a year of it (I know - it doesn't take a year to watch one movie. It was like 60 bucks for a year, so what the hell). I figured there would likely be enough to justify it. I kind of wanted to watch The Mandalorian anyway (which is great, by the way. If you're a Star Wars fan, it's made for you). I'm also a fan of every Pixar movie ever made.

Anyway, one of the things Disney+ has is most of the MCU movies. I recently watched all the movies in chronological order, and I've got to say, it's effin brilliant. It's like watching a long, complex series all in movie form. We recently purchased a 65" Samsung 4K QLED TV, and since all those movies are streamed in 4K, the movies really show off the TV (or the TV really shows off the beauty of those movies).

Anyway, I have to admit a guilty pleasure for super hero movies, and the fact that all those movies are connected and have a running theme makes them extra entertaining. I'm regularly impressed by the acting talent they enlist for those movies. Big names like Michael Douglas, Samuel Jackson, Rene Russo, Natalie Portman, Michelle Pfeiffer, Lawrence Fishburne, Robert Downey Jr, Anthony Hopkins, Jude Law, Jeff Bridges, Jeff Goldblum, Kurt Russell, Bradley Cooper, and Don Cheadle, to name a few.

Martin Scorsese said he didn't think they were real movies. Obviously, he's entitled to his opinion, and his opinion should be heard, given the movies he's made, but I still think he's wrong. If the point of movies is entertainment, the MCU delivers in spades.

Lately I've been watching the Marvel series on Netflix. I finished all three seasons of Daredevil (damned great) and I'm about halfway through season 2 of The Punisher (also very entertaining). I sure hope Marvel Studios gets the rights to those eventually, because I'd like to see them continued (all of those Netflix series have been cancelled, including Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, etc.).

Anyway, I was just curious if there were any other fans here.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: The MCU

Post by Res Ipsa »

I want to be. I think I would really like it. I just need some kind of pocket dimensions at right angles to our time dimension so I can take all the time I want to watch the movies and series. :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Hands down, my favorite superhero movie is Logan. Second is The Dark Knight. But the MCU has a consistency that other superhero franchises lack, and a few are genuinely surprising in different ways. But I think where they really shine is in their casting. RDJr was born to play Tony Stark. Tom Holland embodies Spiderman in a way no previous iteration quite captured. Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johansson, Chadwick Boseman, and on and on and on...the actors aren't just talented they fit the character in ways that make it hard to imagine anyone else being able to fill the role. In the case of Spiderman and Hulk, there are comparisons readily available that highlight this difference, too.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I've enjoyed most Marvel movies that I have seen, but by the Hoary Host of Hoggoth and the Eye of Agamotto, I would really enjoy another Dr. Strange movie. I enjoy that teaming up concept. Strange, Thor, and the Hulk would be fun.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:13 am
I want to be. I think I would really like it. I just need some kind of pocket dimensions at right angles to our time dimension so I can take all the time I want to watch the movies and series. :lol:
Yeah, I took a few weeks to go through them all. It's a commitment but such a good time. I actually want to do it again, because I know there are things I missed.
honor wrote:Hands down, my favorite superhero movie is Logan. Second is The Dark Knight.
I haven't seen Logan; I'll have to check it out. And yes on The Dark Knight. Nobody comes close to Christian Bale's Batman. I liked all three of those movies.
honor wrote:But the MCU has a consistency that other superhero franchises lack, and a few are genuinely surprising in different ways. But I think where they really shine is in their casting. RDJr was born to play Tony Stark. Tom Holland embodies Spiderman in a way no previous iteration quite captured. Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johansson, Chadwick Boseman, and on and on and on...the actors aren't just talented they fit the character in ways that make it hard to imagine anyone else being able to fill the role. In the case of Spiderman and Hulk, there are comparisons readily available that highlight this difference, too.
Absolutely agree with all of this. I really wasn't expecting to enjoy the Thor movies, but Chris Hemsworth is perfect for that role. The Thor movies were among my favorites. I love when Thor meets up with the Guardians of the Galaxy. He and Chris Pratt are hilarious together. That's another thing about these movies - they're consistently funny.

And I have to say, Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda... OMG I love that woman. What an actor. WandaVision is excellent.
moksha wrote:I would really enjoy another Dr. Strange movie.
Yeah, I'm with you, and I'm pretty sure one is in the works. Benedict Cumberbatch is also great.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.