Liberals force Americans to drink beer made from plants

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Liberals force Americans to drink beer made from plants

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 pm
All animals either eat plants or other animals that eat plants. If you go far enough down the food chain you will inevitably come down to plants. Thus every animal and all its byproducts, including urine, is directly or indirectly based on plants. Right? That's all I'm saying.
Absolutely. I just wouldn't call urine "plant-based" any more than I'd call milk, eggs or cheese plant-based. It's just a communication thing.
I'm not denying that some animal byproducts, though ultimately derived from plants through various intermediate stages, can be harmful to us humans.
Especially piss.
Nor can it be denied that land used to produce crops directly consumable by us can feed many times more of us than land used to raise meat animals.
No doubt. I wasn't being this serious. We are in total agreement on this issue.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:21 am
You know, of course, that everything we eat is plant-based, either directly or indirectly. Right? ;)
Not always. Good right-wing fans of Trump enjoy starting their day with a hearty bowl of warm asbestos, so that they can own the libs first thing in the morning.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:31 am
No doubt. I wasn't being this serious. We are in total agreement on this issue.
That goes without saying. That's what made it fun!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
asbestosman
Nursery

Post by asbestosman »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:46 am
a hearty bowl of warm asbestos
:shock: :o
𐐷𐐨 𐑇𐐰𐑊 𐐺𐐨 𐐰𐑆 𐑀𐐪𐐼𐑆
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Finally, an argument I can really sink my teeth into.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

OK Gunnar, upon further reflection, I have another question for you.

We know that animal feces is used for plant fertilizer. Does that make plants animal-based? We sort of end up with a chicken and egg thing here (if you ignore that fertilizer is not the same thing as food... so not really, but I think you see what I'm driving at).

Point is, it's all part of the circle of life, biological interconnectivity, and my point about everything being indirectly everything-based. Life is a huge molecule stew.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm

We know that animal feces is used for plant fertilizer. Does that make plants animal-based? We sort of end up with a chicken and egg thing here (if you ignore that fertilizer is not the same thing as food... so not really, but I think you see what I'm driving at).

Point is, it's all part of the circle of life, biological interconnectivity, and my point about everything being indirectly everything-based. Life is a huge molecule stew.
Dammit. Now I have a Lion King ear worm.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm

I don't deny any of that, but I think most biologists would agree that the earliest plant species appeared before the earliest species that fit the prevailing definitions of "animal." On the other hand, earliest living organisms on earth
were probably not plants either, by currently prevailing definitions of "plant."
Archaea may have been the earliest form of life on Earth. They live in extreme environments such as hot springs and deep sea vents. The conditions in these environments resemble conditions that existed early in the Earth's history. Stromatolites are layered structures of sediments that form in shallow bodies of waters.
But I suspect you already knew that, at least as well as I do. I suppose it is possible that primitive organisms that we might call "proto-animals" that could have subsisted on these earliest living organisms could have emerged even before true plants were available to feed them.

I remember a time decades ago when I was still in elementary school when biologists relegated all life to just two kingdoms--plant and animal, and everything that wasn't animal was some kind of plant. Now we know that is way too simplistic.

But, are we in danger of getting too off-topic here?
Last edited by Gunnar on Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

If you get your food from plants without animals intervening significantly in the chain of conversion of solar energy to useful carbohydrates and proteins (etc.), then you will get a lot more food per acre of land with less damage to the planet.

Am I more or less and on the whole right in asserting that?

If not, please correct me.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:56 pm
Alright, you asked for it. We are now going to debate whether piss is plant-based or not.
*elbows my way into the covo*

Because of the Haber Process, your piss is actually likely air-based.