Liberals force Americans to drink beer made from plants

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Liberals force Americans to drink beer made from plants

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:25 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:56 pm
Alright, you asked for it. We are now going to debate whether piss is plant-based or not.
*elbows my way into the covo*

Because of the Haber Process, your piss is actually likely air-based.
*takes elbow to ribs*

I had to google "Haber Process" because I'd never heard of it, and I trust you know what you're talking about. I think you're likely right in the same way Gunnar is right.

But the more I think about it, aren't we ignoring the obvious? Piss is mostly water.
Gunnar wrote:But, are we in danger of getting too off-topic here?
It feels like we've been both on and off topic the whole time.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:56 pm
I had to google "Haber Process" because I'd never heard of it, and I trust you know what you're talking about. I think you're likely right in the same way Gunnar is right.

But the more I think about it, aren't we ignoring the obvious? Piss is mostly water.
Gunnar wrote:But, are we in danger of getting too off-topic here?
It feels like we've been both on and off topic the whole time.
Keeping with the topic of being off topic...

Fritz Haber (one of the co-creators of the process) is actually a really interesting person when it comes to the duality of our natures. He's both responsible for saving countless lives through boosting agricultural potential, and for taking millions of lives (directly in WWI via chlorine gas, and indirectly after his death via Zyklon B).
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:45 pm
If you get your food from plants without animals intervening significantly in the chain of conversion of solar energy to useful carbohydrates and proteins (etc.), then you will get a lot more food per acre of land with less damage to the planet.

Am I more or less and on the whole right in asserting that?

If not, please correct me.
Of course you're right! Didn't we already establish that earlier in the thread?
Gunnar wrote:All animals either eat plants or other animals that eat plants. If you go far enough down the food chain you will inevitably come down to plants. Thus every animal and all its byproducts, including urine, is directly or indirectly based on plants. Right? That's all I'm saying. I'm not denying that some animal byproducts, though ultimately derived from plants through various intermediate stages, can be harmful to us humans. Nor can it be denied that land used to produce crops directly consumable by us can feed many times more of us than land used to raise meat animals.[/quote]
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Keeping with the topic of being off topic...

Fritz Haber (one of the co-creators of the process) is actually a really interesting person when it comes to the duality of our natures. He's both responsible for saving countless lives through boosting agricultural potential, and for taking millions of lives (directly in WWI via chlorine gas, and indirectly after his death via Zyklon B).
You are so right! He was also a Jew; one of the very few Jews Hitler allowed to remain in civil service to the German State when Hitler rose to power in 1933, due to Haber's over the top patriotic role during WWI in producing both explosives and poison gases for the war effort.

The Tragedy of Fritz Haber: The Monster Who Fed The World

Though he was permitted by Hitler to remain in Germany's civil service, he resigned when he was forced to dismiss the 75% of his employees who were also Jewish.
Life became worse for Haber and the rest of the world as Hitler became chancellor in 1933. The Nazis soon issued an order that no Jews would be allowed in civil service. Haber was exempt from this due to his civil service during The Great War. However, his employees were not. 75% of them were Jewish, and would have to be dismissed. Haber took a stand and resigned. He’d grown up in Kaiser Wilhelm’s Germany, where he’d only wanted one limit; the limit of his ability. He believed the same for his employees. It didn’t matter who their parents and grandparents were.

Haber left, believing that he’d lost his homeland. He roamed around Europe, eventually taking a professorship at Cambridge in England. There he was shunned by the British, who along with the French considered him a repulsive war criminal. A pariah, he wandered through Europe aimlessly, his health worsening. On his way to Switzerland to recuperate in a sanitarium his heart failed. Fritz Haber died alone in a hotel in 1934. At the end of his life, he repented for using his mind and his talents for waging war.
Haber was long dead by the time the next world war began. But many of his creations were still in use, including a hydrogen-cyanide pesticide called Zyklon. When the Nazis rediscovered this invention, they realized it would fit their needs perfectly. All that was required was a small change in the formula. They had their chemists remove the noxious smell that warned the user not to inhale it.

This was to stop Fritz Haber’s nieces, grandnephews, friends, and millions of other Jewish people from panicking as they fell to their knees, drowning in the air as Zyklon-B poured into Auschwitz’s gas chambers.
The fate of his once devoted wife (who was also Jewish), was particularly tragic and heartbreaking.
On the evening of April 22, 1915, Haber was ecstatic at the 6,000 men laying dead across the battlefield. The Allied line was broken. However, the Germans did not exploit the opportunity. This had just been a test run. No one had prepared for an advance and the Allies quickly regained their front. Still, Operation: Disinfectant earned Haber a promotion to Captain. A newly crowned hero in the eyes of his countrymen, he went home to spend a few days with his family in Berlin. On May 1st a dinner party was thrown at his villa in honor of his newfound success and rank.

Clara was not in a mood to celebrate.

During the party she confronted him and an intense argument erupted. Clara told her husband that he was morally bankrupt. That what he was doing was monstrous. Haber ignored her. Surrounded by friends praising his patriotic deeds, he saw nothing vile about serving his country. Haber accused her of being an enemy of Germany and something snapped in Clara. She could no longer live by her principles married to such an evil man. That night, while Fritz Haber was asleep, Clara took his army revolver, walked outside to the garden, and shot herself in the chest. She was found by her 13 year old son, with the life about to run out of her.

The next morning, Haber went back to the Eastern Front to direct more gas attacks. His son Hermann was left alone to deal with his dead mother. In the late 1930’s Hermann would immigrate to America, where he would later kill himself.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Do you think some of the Fox writers were trying to make Larry Kudlow seem like he had dementia because they knew he would read the garbage they put up on the prompters without thinking about it? They probably thought the talking heads at Fox News had it coming with meat-based beer. They were right.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Mystery Solvent
@MysterySolvent
The one-time leader of the free world who now lives alone in a hotel sharing buffets, common areas, and staff with strangers, yearns for attention and relevance so badly, he now stands on a patio step every night ranting to tens of people about a 6-month-old election that he lost
0:38
2.1M views
11:33 AM · Apr 30, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Though he was permitted by Hitler to remain in Germany's civil service, he resigned when he was forced to dismiss the 75% of his employees who were also Jewish.
Isn't this what Hitler was griping about with regard to Jews in Germany? That their gatekeeping basically locked down various industries and froze out ethnic Germans? Trust me, I'm not a Nazi apologist, but that figure caught my eye.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:33 pm
Trust me, I'm not a Nazi apologist

'Course you aren't.

But when he read your post, down there in hell he smiled a little. And worse, so did some of his friends who are still out there trying to make more friends for him.

But hey, what's that to you?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Wut.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hey Gunnar and Steuss.

I heard a podcast episode on Fritz Haber a while back. Radiolab, I think. His life is a fascinating story. And so ironic.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.