Tucker Carlson: Expanding the envelope

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Tucker Carlson: Expanding the envelope

Post by MeDotOrg »

In the show Bojack Horseman, Keith Olbermann plays an over-the-top, self-righteous and vitriolic version of himself... as a whale.

In one show, he neatly pivots from reports about a popular TV star being a sex abuser to a report that Kanye West hates thin mints. You can bet we'll get to the bottom of this. This is the only thing I care about now!

So it's pretty easy to digest the diatribes of Tucker Carlson, as long as you watch social satire cartoons.

Let's go way back in history, to a time before Covid-19. If you saw someone wearing a protective mask, what did you think? If you're like me, not much. San Francisco's large Chinese community has a lot of residents who wore masks during cold and flu season. If I had to guess, it's because the population density of Chinese community necessitates stricter hygiene. You see a lot of people wearing masks on Public Transit.

I used to lead walking tours of Chinatown. One of the stops is Portsmouth Square, the backyard of Chinatown. It's a place for parents, children, and grandchildren. It was not uncommon in the winter to see kids playing while wearing masks. Again, just a proactive measure born in a culture with a lot of densely populated areas.

According to Tucker Carlson, if see a child playing while wearing a mask, you should call Child Protective Services and the Police.
As for forcing children to wear masks outside, that should be illegal. Your response when you see children wearing masks as they play should be no different from your response to seeing someone beat a kid in Walmart. Call the police immediately, contact child protective services. Keep calling until someone arrives. What you're looking at is abuse, it's child abuse, and you are morally obligated to attempt to prevent it.
Having your child wear a mask is child abuse and the moral equivalent of beating your child.

This is hysteria. Hopefully the lawyers at Fox might point out that urging people to call police and Child Protective Services because Tucker Carlson feels something should be against the law is not the way the American legal system works. Never mind that there could be other reasons (immunodeficiencies, etc.) for a person to wear a mask, the outrage of a Fox viewer should be the final arbiter.

For years, we have watched the network become a cartoon parody of itself, both figuratively and literally. Carlson now wants to enlist the police and child protective services against parents who have their children wear masks. He's now to masks what William Jennings Bryant was to the gold standard:

You shall not crucify mankind upon a mask of cotton!

If I had to guess, Tucker might be asked to take a 'vacation', a la Bill O'Reilly, but then the network is in a bind, because...you know...Hannity. If Fox starts having standards, who knows where it could end up?
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Tucker Carlson: Expanding the envelope

Post by Jersey Girl »

TC is a menace to society. He's a danger to himself and others.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:59 am

According to Tucker Carlson, if see a child playing while wearing a mask, you should call Child Protective Services and the Police.
As for forcing children to wear masks outside, that should be illegal. Your response when you see children wearing masks as they play should be no different from your response to seeing someone beat a kid in Walmart. Call the police immediately, contact child protective services. Keep calling until someone arrives. What you're looking at is abuse, it's child abuse, and you are morally obligated to attempt to prevent it.
A great idea to call the police on a mask-wearing child.

If you do that, experience suggests that there is a non-zero chance that the child will be rescued from its abusive situation by being shot dead.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:59 am
If Fox starts having standards, who knows where it could end up?
What are the chances of that happening?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

The popularity of Fox News should be a concern to every sane citizen. Their audience gets dumber every day.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I wonder how many of TC's viewers tune in to laugh at his idiocy, not necessarily because they actually believe his lies, which he himself apparently does not take seriously. Remember he successfully defended the defamation lawsuit against him by using the argument that no reasonable person would take what he says seriously. I am still amazed that that defense actually worked!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.