Republican state representative charge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Republican state representative charge

Post by Chap »

Republican who let violent protesters into Oregon state capitol is charged

State representative Mike Nearman was charged with official misconduct and criminal trespass over December 2020 incident

Watch the security footage. Open and shut case. Jail time coming?
Prosecutors have levelled two criminal charges against a Republican member of the Oregon house of representatives who let far-right rioters into the state capitol in December.

Mike Nearman was charged with official misconduct in the first degree and criminal trespass in the second degree. Oregon state police struggled to force the rioters out of the Capitol, which was closed to the public, on 21 December as lawmakers met in emergency session to deal with economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

The Marion county deputy district attorney, Matthew Kemmy, told Nearman’s attorney, Jason Short, in a letter his client must appear in court on 11 May or face arrest.

Short was out of his office late on Friday and not available for comment. Nearman did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Nearman was seen on security cameras letting violent protesters into the Oregon state capitol. They attacked authorities with bear spray. Outside the building, some protesters assaulted reporters and broke glass doors.

In January, after Nearman’s role became clear from the security footage, the state house speaker, Tina Kotek, called for his resignation and stripped his committee assignments.

“Representative Nearman put every person in the Capitol in serious danger,” Kotek said on 11 January.

She also referred to the deadly storming of the US Capitol days before, on 6 January, by supporters of then-president Donald Trump.

“As we tragically saw last week during the insurrection at the United States Capitol, the consequences [here] could have been much worse had law enforcement not stepped in so quickly,” Kotek said.

According to court records, the misconduct charge alleges Nearman, from the town of Independence west of Salem, “did unlawfully and knowingly perform an act … with intent to obtain a benefit or to harm another”.

The charge is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum 364 days in prison and a $6,250 fine. The trespass charge accused him of unlawfully letting others into the Capitol. It is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum of 30 days in jail and a $1,250 fine.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Republican state representative charge

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

[image deleted]
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Speaking of States, Trumpism, and rabid insanity amongst Republicans, Senator Mitt Romney was roundly booed out of the Utah State Republican Convention. There were shouts of traitor and communist hurled at Romney (the fascists have traditionally hated the communists). The Chairman finally settled them down before Romney walked off the stage.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Moksha wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:57 am
Speaking of States, Trumpism, and rabid insanity amongst Republicans, Senator Mitt Romney was roundly booed out of the Utah State Republican Convention. There were shouts of traitor and communist hurled at Romney (the fascists have traditionally hated the communists). The Chairman finally settled them down before Romney walked off the stage.
Of the two current Utah senators, only Romney has even so much as an ounce of moral integrity.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 am
Of the two current Utah senators, only Romney has even so much as an ounce of moral integrity.
I think that ounce compelled him to reject Trump.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Moksha wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:26 am
Gunnar wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 am
I think that ounce compelled him to reject Trump.
No doubt!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

The current GOP is a cancer-riddled appendage that will not be cured without amputation.

I don't see their BS eradicated without a ton of bloodshed and death. They're damned nuts and can't be reasoned into clarity.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

in my opinion one of the biggest, if not the biggest, parts of the problem is that most top Republican elected officials almost certainly know as well as anyone that the claim that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump was a gargantuan lie, but are afraid to publicly admit it because they fear they will be primaried out if they do, because there are so many rank and file Republican voters who still profess to believe that lie.

One of the main litmus tests for gaining and/or retaining status as a loyal Republican has now become how willing they are to continue promoting what most of them know to be a lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Two Republican county conventions within Utah have voted to censure Mitt Romney. So they are hopelessly lost to the fascist tide which will someday destroy America.