A paddling at Central Elementary School

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: A paddling at Central Elementary School

Post by Moksha »

I had a teacher who drilled indentations in his paddle to increase the sting of being hit. It had something to do with decrease air resistance plus increased joy with swatting the kids.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Moksha wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 am
I had a teacher who drilled indentations in his paddle to increase the sting of being hit. It had something to do with decrease air resistance plus increased joy with swatting the kids.
I had a teacher do that too. I attended a small private school in Alabama. No black kids allowed, as a "segregation academy." They only started allowing black kids sometime later during the 90's and now it is a "Christian" school run by the same jagoffs. But getting a "lick" is what everyone called being paddled during the 80's when I attended. It was always one lick unless you did something crazy stupid. One lick was usually all it took to light you up. This was done primarily by the male teachers and coaches who took pride in doing it. They'd laugh sometimes trying to get kids to do something dumb just so they can say "That's a lick" and then everyone cheered in excitement knowing someone was about to get it.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Couldn't figure out why Ajax would post something like this since it didn't belittle minorities in any way, but then I saw that the mother was someone who didn't speak English, and so... there it is.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Icarus wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:08 am
Couldn't figure out why Ajax would post something like this since it didn't belittle minorities in any way, but then I saw that the mother was someone who didn't speak English, and so... there it is.
Actually, he said what happened to the kid was an outrage.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The principal is an ignorant and unprofessional, unskilled, power mad bitch. My opinion.

Corporal punishment re:students in Hendry County district was banned in 2016. Fact.

Principal should go to jail for assault on a child. My opinion.

Mom claims a language barrier was the source of her confusion as to what was happening so she decided to film it instead. Fact.

Language barrier and being confused as to what was happening is no excuse for a parent sitting there filming one adult restraining her child while another adult assaults her child. Mom deserves no type of settlement should she sue for damages. My opinion.

Corporal punishment re:students should be outlawed nationwide. If not, then take child abuse law off the books in all states that allow corporal punishment of students by persons in a position of trust and authority. My opinion.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Ajax appears more outraged at the prospect of tax dollars going to someone who doesn't speak English.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Anyone who thinks hitting children is an effective form of discipline needs to be strung up like a piñata and whipped bloody just to experience how effective it is.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

The six year-old's mother, who has not been named, said she was called to her daughter's school after the officials complained she had caused damage to a school computer.

The mother, who does not speak fluent English, claims she was confused by the allegations made against her daughter as she arrived at the school to pay a $50 fine.

She claims she was taken to the principal's office where her daughter was waiting.

Carter then brought out a wooden paddle and smacked the girl on the behind as she wailed.

The mom secretly filmed the incident but did not intervene, later claiming she was confused due to the language barrier.

She filed a police report and her attorney Brent Probinsky accused Carter of committing child abuse and aggravated battery.

But prosecutors said Friday their probe found no crime had been committed.

According to statements by Carter and another staff member Cecilia Self, the first-grader's mom was called by the school telling her about her child damaging the computer and that she would have to pay a fine.

The mom told Self her daughter was breaking things at home as well but that she was scared to spank her daughter at home because the girl had threatened to call authorities, according to the memo.

The mother is an undocumented immigrant and was fearful of reprimand.

The school staff told investigators that the mom asked if the school could spank the child for her, according to the memo.

Rivera was reportedly told she would have to come to the school to request such discipline, and must be 'present during the spanking if she wished for school staff to do it for her,' the memo reads.

'According to both Ms. Carter and Ms. Self, Ms. Rivera then arrived at the school and made that request.'

Prosecutors said it appears that Rivera filmed the incident without the knowledge of anyone else in the room.

In the video, Carter is seen explaining to the child what was about to happen and why.

The little girl can be heard whimpering and crying as she is beaten with the paddle at school

Carter was under investigation by police after she was filmed spanking the crying girl with a paddle in a classroom on April 13. Carter left and another staff member Cecilia Self right

Self and Carter then appear to position the girl in a way she can be safely spanked without causing her injury, prosecutors said.

The girl was then spanked three times then told to apologize to her mother and that the same punishment would happen again if she continued to misbehave.

Both staff members appear to 'treat the child and her mother with respect throughout the process' with Self translating to Spanish for the benefit of the mom on several occasions, the State Attorney's Office said.

At no point did the mom object to what was going on and when she left with her daughter she said 'thank you' to the two staff members, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors said the two staff members' versions of events also matched their interview with the child.

Deputy Chief Assistant State Attorney Abraham Thornburg concluded that 'the evidence in this case appears clear that the child's mother sanctioned and consented to the spanking of her daughter as discipline for misbehavior.

'A parent has a right to use corporal punishment to discipline their children and similarly has the right to consent that others do so on their behalf.'

'Based upon the evidence reviewed, the actions of Ms. Carter in this case do not meet the elements of any criminal offense in the State of Florida,' the State Attorney's Office added.

The office also said that edited clips of the video had been released to local media which had led to an 'incomplete and misleading account of the incident.'

The DA's decision came after county investigators reached a similar conclusion.

The mother had told investigators she had been 'confused' because of the language barrier and didn't know what was going on.

She claimed she feared getting in trouble, or having her immigration status questioned if she tried to stand up for her daughter.

She later took her daughter to a doctor, and documented red marks and bruises made by the paddle.

She later told local media she had offered the youngster as a 'sacrifice' and filmed the spanking to show what was happening at the school.

She said she was now worried about what psychological harm has been caused to her child.

Florida is one of 19 states that still allows corporal punishment in schools, but the practice is banned in Hendry County school district - which includes Central Elementary School.

Corporal punishment is legal in 19 US states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming.

But certain school districts in those states have banned the punishment.

In 2011, New Mexico became the most recent state to outlaw the practice.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pr ... d=msedgntp
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I know suspending students from school isn't effective at changing behavior either. You're not allowed to put them in the hall when they disrupt the class because that would mean they're unsupervised. They say if a punishment doesn't result in zero recurrences than it should be discontinued because it doesn't work. I suppose you could say that about any punishment.

If paddling is illegal in Hendry county are they still allowed to paddle with the parents consent? I wonder if this illegal immigrant mother actually did tell the school that she was afraid to spank her daughter for breaking stuff because her daughter might call child protective services. I'm having a hard time buying her story that she didn't understand the conversation especially when the vice principal, a native spanish speaker, was translating that into spanish for her.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Xanax,

You’d have better luck sticking to one topic like BLM. If you focused your energies on showing how it’s a terrorist organization, or hypocritical, or fascist, or degenerate, or criminal, or whatever you might have better luck and achieve psychological release. For example, this dude got out to yell at BLM protestors who were blocking a highway in, I think Plano, and a BLM protestor pointed a pistol at him:

That picture is nicely in line with your worldview in that a black person is pointing a gun at a white man, “terrorizing”, and it’s ironically next to the rainbow flag which is supposed to denote acceptance or whatever. You then could provide some social commentary instead of copypasting some cockholster opining away on some Conservative website.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.