Pulmonary Artery Blood Clot Images Courtesy of the Vaccine Hesitant

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
DrW
Priest

Pulmonary Artery Blood Clot Images Courtesy of the Vaccine Hesitant

Post by DrW »

The image below is for those who may be hesitant to take one of the Covid-19 vaccines. It shows two blood clots removed from the pulmonary arteries of Covid-19 patients.

The MD who sent these to me said that his team has been able to save the lives of several Covid-19 patients who had already coded for lack of oxygen. These were removed by emergency use of recently available interventional radiology tools for in situ aspiration of the clots. That's right. They cut a hole in the inner thigh, run a catheter from your leg up into your pulmonary artery and aspirate the whole thing. Sort of makes you glad you've been vaccinated, doesn't it?

If you have not been vaccinated please know that the needle is thin and shot is near painless. Think about how much pain and anguish something like this would cause, especially to your family, if a physician who was equipped to take care of this was not available when you came down with a severe case of Covid-19. There have been many tens of thousands in the US who were not. If that's not important enough, think about the hospital bill - or the funeral costs.

If you have not been vaccinated, you are at increased risk every day, especially from the new variants now causing outbreaks in the US and elsewhere. If not for yourself, think about others. You could be an asymptomatic carrier and kill your grandmother or even your mom or dad.

Edited several times in an attempt to remove the logo. No luck. It will disappear eventually, I'm told.
Last edited by DrW on Fri May 07, 2021 8:09 am, edited 9 times in total.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Pulmonary Artery Blood Clot Images Courtesy of the Vaccine Hesitant

Post by Res Ipsa »

Damn, DrW. That really hammers it home. Thanks!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jesus God Almighty. But thank you for posting it for us, Dr. W., that really hits home.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

With regard to vaccine hesitancy I wanted to post something here and apparently I failed to keep it. I've searched high and low in the Internet and still cannot find it.

It was 5 points (or facts?) to share with those who are vaccine hesitant. One of the points/facts was that 90% of doctors have taken the vaccine. Another was something to the effect that the vaccine itself (mRNA) leaves your body once it stimulates a response from the immune system.

Has anyone see it? If so, could you please link it here? I believe the author was named Tom or Tim? I think it would perfectly fit this thread. I'll keep searching as I have time.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I got my first shot last week (already scheduled for my second one at the end of May) and I have to say that the sense of security that comes with it was completely unexpected. It's like I'm rediscovering a lost portion of life. I've become so used to keeping my distance with people and avoiding contact that I've almost forgotten what normal living is. I'm still being careful because, well, why wouldn't I, but I must say that I'm feeling a confidence about being out in public that I haven't felt in over a year now.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

People feel strongly about this. Hundreds gathered in Moroni, Utah to burn a giant syringe as part of their anti-vaccination beliefs.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxxan/ ... the-desert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xFabyn7Iw
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

In the dialect of British schoolboys in the first half of the 20th century, a mild term of abuse for someone perceived to be acting foolishly might be used thus:

"Bunter, you clot!"

Large stocks of this retro epithet - obviously now due for a comeback - are available for world-wide export.

It is however being made available free to US customers on a trial basis for a limited period only - try it on your local antivaxxer and enjoy their expression as it bites home after the initial moment of incomprehension!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

To the Vaccine Hesitant:

The cumulative death rate for those who tested positive for Covid-19 here in Florida is 1.57%. (It's slightly above national average here in God's waiting room). Very roughly 10.7% of the State population has tested positive Covid-19. More than 35,500 have died from the disease.

When making a decision as to whether to get the vaccine or not, the rational individual would consider the cost and then look at the risks and benefits. Vaccination is free, so the cost is not a factor. The shot is relatively quick (15 minute line), and painless as far as I'm concerned, so no risk or downside there.

What is the worst that could happen if vaccinated?
The answer is a greatly diminished risk of infection. If by some outside chance you are infected, the case will be mild, not requiring hospitalization. Bottom line: if vaccinated you will not die from Covid-19.

What is the worst that could happen if not vaccinated?
In the present environment the likelihood of contracting Covid-19 for those not taking precautions is on the order of 5% to 12 %, and higher with some behaviors or in some areas with outbreaks. The likelihood of becoming a non-symptomatic carrier and unknowingly infecting others who are not vaccinated is also increased.

If not vaccinated there is the risk of death from Covid-19. If one does contract Covid-19 the risk of death is about 1.2% nationwide.

And that is what makes failure to vaccinate such a bad decision. The downside risk may seem low, but the potential downside consequences could not be worse.

Don't get (or be) a clot. Get the vaccine.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. W I mentioned on my ongoing vaccine and therapeutics thread that one of my husband's friends, his wife is right now hospitalized with Covid. She has got to be early 70's I think. The situation as it stands right now is dire. This is a family who refused to wear masks and vaccinate. I am hoping that having the wife and mother on a Covid unit, hearing her cry into the phone (which she is) from loneliness and desperation because she cannot breathe, will make believers out of them. But so far as I know, none of them are putting themselves in self quarantine.

After a year of information output on this virus, I find this indefensible however I feel horribly sorry for them. She is not doing well.

Slava Ukraini!
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:25 pm
Dr. W I mentioned on my ongoing vaccine and therapeutics thread that one of my husband's friends, his wife is right now hospitalized with Covid. She has got to be early 70's I think. The situation as it stands right now is dire. This is a family who refused to wear masks and vaccinate. I am hoping that having the wife and mother on a Covid unit, hearing her cry into the phone (which she is) from loneliness and desperation because she cannot breathe, will make believers out of them. But so far as I know, none of them are putting themselves in self quarantine.

After a year of information output on this virus, I find this indefensible however I feel horribly sorry for them. She is not doing well.
Sorry to hear about your husband's friends. Upon his return from Thailand in January of 2020, my son (the one who sent the clot images) called me and reported that that the corona virus numbers locally available in Asia at that time were in the sweet spot for a global pandemic (highly infections as an airborne virus with a hospitalization / death rate in the 10% range).

As you know, the sweet spot is when a pathogen (especially a virus) is infectious enough to spread rapidly, but with a morbidity and mortality rates in the range to do a lot of damage (death or lengthy hospitalizations consuming medical resources) without quickly killing off its hosts and consequently burning out like Ebola does.

I started checking the internet and in a week or so was convinced. I emailed our teams in the US, Canada and the UK and asked them to take this seriously, to get up to speed on the data and take precautions for themselves and anyone else who would listen. All are now vaccinated and we have had no infections. However, we did lose a significant deal because of counterparty principals who were infected and hospitalized.

The "bloody minded" (as Chap might put it) stupidity of Trump, his gang of idiots, anti-vaxxers and the vaccine hesitant have cost hundreds of thousands of lives in this country. On the other side, there must have been hundreds of thousands of people in this country who saw this coming by the middle of February of 2020. Because the Trump administration had thrown away the Obama administration pandemic playbook and decided to worry about their own re-election instead, half a million people would die.

Last report on Monday from our team in Canada, which was fortunate enough to have competent governance in 2020, was a total of two dozen cases or so in the entire Province and one reported death.

The vast majority of who recognized what was coming, but had little power, could do nothing about it but protect those around them who would listen. As will be made clear in an upcoming book and documentary on the pandemic, we owe the great (late) progress that has been made to a very few dedicated professionals who were able to get things done on a national level in spite Trump and his criminal cabal.

What we are starting to see now with the pop-up outbreaks in preeminently red counties around the country is Darwinian evolution at work.