Is the former President tweaking again, or:

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Is the former President tweaking again, or:

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Learned to Love Adderall Again

Good Lord.

So. Apparently the walls are closing in on the Trump crime family. Well. On Trump. I don’t really know what that means until an indictment actually happens, but for anyone casually interested the fact the NY AG and the Manhattan DA are essentially working together is highly unusual and probably necessary to sludge through the layers of malfeasance. I kind of lost interest in the whole affair since Trump is kind of irrelevant again until he went all Jack Kerouac and freeform shat out that ‘tweet’ or whatever they’re calling his public farts on his platform.

Anyway. If this thing develops I’ll revisit this thread to discuss the going-ons.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Is the former President tweaking again, or:

Post by Jersey Girl »

He's FOS.

NYPD Announces Citywide Crime Statistics for March 2021
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/news/p04 ... march-2021
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu May 20, 2021 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

He's FOS.
Conviction on campaign finance, tax evasion, and other charges

In August 2018, it was reported that investigators were in the final stages of their investigation.[164] Cohen officially surrendered to the FBI on August 21, 2018.[165] That afternoon, Cohen pleaded guilty to eight criminal[166] charges: five counts of tax evasion, one count of making false statements to a financial institution, one count of willfully causing an unlawful corporate contribution, and one count of making an excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate (Trump) for the "principal purpose of influencing [the] election".[167][168][169]

After Cohen's conviction, his personal lawyer Lanny Davis stated that Cohen was ready to "tell everything about Donald Trump that he knows".[170] Davis alluded to Cohen's knowledge that could be used against Trump, and hinted that Cohen had knowledge of whether Trump knew in advance about the computer hacking that was detrimental to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, as well as knowledge of the meeting at Trump Tower in June 2016.[171] He later added that he believed Cohen would agree to testify before Congress, even without immunity.[172]

Responding to speculation that President Trump might issue a pardon for Cohen, lawyer Davis said on NPR, "I know that Mr. Cohen would never accept a pardon from a man that he considers to be both corrupt and a dangerous person in the oval office. And [Cohen] has flatly authorized me to say under no circumstances would he accept a pardon from Mr. Trump."[173] In his interview to Sky News, Davis said the turning point for his client's attitude toward Trump was the Helsinki summit in July 2018, which caused him to doubt Trump's loyalty to the U.S.[174]

The New York Times reported on August 22, 2018, that Cohen court documents revealed that two senior Trump Organization executives were also involved in the hush money payments, and that Cohen "coordinated with one or more members of the campaign, including through meetings and phone calls" about the payments.[175]

By mid-October 2018, Cohen had sat for at least 50 hours of interviews with Mueller's investigators and other investigators, although he had no formal cooperation agreement with prosecutors.[176] Cohen also cooperated in a separate investigation by New York State investigators regarding the Trump Organization and Trump Foundation.[177]

On December 12, 2018, U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III sentenced Cohen to three years in prison and a $50,000 fine, and additionally ordered Cohen to pay $1.4 million in restitution and to forfeit $500,000.[178][179][180] At his sentencing hearing, Cohen stated: "I take full responsibility for each act that I pled guilty to: The personal ones to me and those involving the president of the United States of America."[178] Cohen said Trump was "the man that caused me to choose the path of darkness" and do "dirty deeds".[180][181] Before passing sentence, Judge Pauley said, "each of these crimes is a serious offense against the United States. Mr. Cohen pled guilty to a veritable smorgasbord of fraudulent conduct."[178]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_C ... stigations
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

I'm a guy who used to have one of those It's Mueller Time T-shirts, so I'm cautious about looking too far down the road, but a couple of things feel different. They have his tax records. He doesn't have Bill Barr and the cover of the Justice Department. They don't yet have Weisselberg, but with all of the ways the feds could make it difficult for Weisselberg's family, I think the odds favor Weisselberg flipping sometime in the next few months, perhaps sooner. And if that happens, I think we're getting close to Mueller Time.

Some people say there is a provision in Florida law that would allow DeSantis to shield Trump from being extradited, but even if he did, it would have no chance of surviving a Supreme Court Challenge.

You also wonder about the talent pool of lawyers for Trump. He doesn't need a show trial lawyer. He's going to need a big legal team able to sift through a TON of discovery. Most high profile firms would see a lot more downside than upside to defending Trump.

So when people talk about Trump's influence the 2022 midterms, it is certainly not inconceivable that he could be facing jail time by then. I HOPE that might diminish his influence, but I've underestimated the man before.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:10 am
Some people say there is a provision in Florida law that would allow DeSantis to shield Trump from being extradited, but even if he did, it would have no chance of surviving a Supreme Court Challenge.
As it turns out there is not a shred of truth to the claim DeSantis could delay extradition. One wonders where such blatantly false claims originate from.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
I just want to point out that he's in North Jersey right now and will be there all summer. Fleeing the heat in Florida, I assume. Anyway, if anything goes down this summer he's a stone's throw from Manhattan.

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
I just want to point out that he's in North Jersey right now and will be there all summer. Fleeing the heat in Florida, I assume. Anyway, if anything goes down this summer he's a stone's throw from Manhattan.
Trump could always fly to Russia and completely escape extradition. The Federales captured El Chapo Guzmán, but he had not yet fleed to Russia.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
Absolutely right. I started reading one of the articles about how Trump would be extradited from Florida, and got sidetracked. Here's a better explanation:
MSNBC wrote:Citing an obscure provision of Florida law that allows the governor, upon receiving an extradition request from another state, to investigate "whether the person ought to be surrendered,” the argument goes that this provision gives DeSantis the chance to play hero with the former president’s supporters by dragging his feet.

The legal reality is decidedly to the contrary. If Trump is indicted in New York, both the U.S. Constitution and a federal statute dating to 1793 require DeSantis (or the governor of whatever state Trump is in at the time) to hand him over. And if DeSantis still refuses, a 1987 Supreme Court decision makes clear that federal courts can order him to comply. Unlike in cases of international extradition, where treaties often leave significant room for political and diplomatic machinations and maneuvering, the law of interstate extradition is both clear and straightforward.
Anyway, the fact that he's in New Jersey makes it moot at this point. If he gets extradited, maybe he can hope for traffic problems in Fort Lee on the George Washington Bridge to prevent it from happening.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:41 pm

Anyway, the fact that he's in New Jersey makes it moot at this point. If he gets extradited, maybe he can hope for traffic problems in Fort Lee on the George Washington Bridge to prevent it from happening.
Oh the infamous Bridge Gate. :lol: Anyway. He'd be going through the tunnel.

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

The longer this nonsense goes on, the more incredible it seems that so many Republican politicians are still eager to hitch their wagons to the increasingly obviously doomed Trump train.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.