Is the former President tweaking again, or:

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Is the former President tweaking again, or:

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:21 pm
I just read an article quoting Liz Cheney stating that she might subpoena the former President. I would literally pop some popcorn, sit down on my couch, and watch the circus if they sit his dumb ass down in front of Congress and is asked questions about his role in the January 6th insurrection. I think the Republicans question BC for 11 hours at one point, so I’d absolutely love watching Trump try to keep his story straight over the course of a day.

- Doc
Have you ever seen him give testimony? I don't know if "I don't recall", "No, I don't remember that", and "I can't see that without my glasses" and crap like that are popcorn worthy.
Trump loves to go off script and his lawyers know that he will immediately perjure himself on easily disprovable items. There are no lawyers whispering what to say into his ears at a Congressional hearing. Trump would grow weary whispering "I plead the fifth". Smart Congresspeople could trick him by offering him a cheeseburger if he would just describe things in his own words. My guess is that he will refuse any and all summons.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 am
It would be way better if we just impeached and jailed all the people we do not like until we were not in power and then they jailed us.
It would be better if those that are questioned gave truthful answers.

... then they jailed us.
DiscussMormonism.com's Spirit Prison!!!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:46 am
Especially truthful answers to untruthful questions.
That doesn't make sense.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:21 am
Especially truthful answers to untruthful questions.
That doesn't make sense.
It could make sense.

“How badly was the election in AZ stolen?”

“It wasn’t.”

:D
Bennett said his blockage from entering the audit building happened Friday after he shared sample data from the ballot box counts with election technology analysts Larry Moore and Benny White.

"I had promised that, you know, information would not be leaked to the press, but it indirectly got done so, and that's how I got barred from the audit," Bennett said, adding, "I remain fully committed to the audit, it is absolutely critical that, as I said earlier, we answer in the minds of people."

Fann said on July 13 that the number of Maricopa County ballots counted by Cyber Ninjas, the firm hired to lead the audit, differed from the number tallied by county officials from the 2020 general election. This led to another count of the ballots but not the votes for the contests.

However, the data Bennett provided Moore and White from the third ballot count showed the results from the count closely tracks with the county's tally, the Arizona Republic reported.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Well, another court loss this morning for Trump et al. The 2nd Circuit ruled he, his co. and his family can't force a lawsuit into arbitration that accuses them of fraud in promoting a multi-level marketing company.

Court docs here -

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... pinion.pdf
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:12 pm
Well, another court loss this morning for Trump et al.
It's good to hear that you can rely on at least some of the regularities of nature to follow their time-hallowed pattern.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Tweak THIS Trump! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Treasury must turn over Trump’s taxes to Congress, the Justice Dept. says.
July 30, 2021

WASHINGTON — The Treasury Department must turn over six years of former President Donald J. Trump’s tax returns to House investigators, the Justice Department said in a legal opinion issued on Friday that likely paves the way for their eventual release to Congress and potentially to the public.

The 39-page opinion from the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel dealt a sharp legal blow to a yearslong campaign by Mr. Trump to keep his tax information secret, reversing a Trump administration position that had shielded the documents from Congress.

Rejecting that view, the Biden administration opinion said that a request for the tax information first lodged in 2019 by the House Ways and Means Committee was legitimate and that the Treasury Department had no valid grounds to refuse it.

“The chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee has invoked sufficient reasons for requesting the former president’s tax information,” the opinion said. “Treasury must furnish the information to the committee.”

The Treasury Department planned to comply with the legal opinion and inform a Federal District Court judge here overseeing the dispute before the end of Friday that it had reached an agreement with the House to hand over the documents, according to Biden administration and congressional officials.

Democrats on Capitol Hill, who said they aim to examine the Internal Revenue Service’s presidential audit program and Mr. Trump’s conflicts of interest, hailed the decision as a victory for congressional oversight powers and for national security. The House had sued to enforce the request after the Trump Treasury Department objected, and litigation remains ongoing.

“The American people deserve to know the facts of his troubling conflicts of interest and undermining of our security and democracy as president,” Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a valedictory statement.

Yet even as the decision lowered a key barrier for Congress, it was unlikely to be the final word in the dispute. A highly litigious and determined protector of his financial records, Mr. Trump could seek an injunction in the coming days to try to stop their transfer, setting off a new round of legal wrangling that could take weeks or longer to resolve. Mr. Trump will have 72 hours to intervene after the Biden administration formally notifies the court of its intention.

Nor does the development ensure that if handed over to Congress, Mr. Trump’s tax information would become public immediately or at all. Rules governing the sharing of sensitive tax information with the Ways and Means Committee require the panel to vote on whether to share any of the information with the entire House or the public.

Democrats in charge of the committee did not disclose their investigative plans. They have previously indicated they intend to study the effectiveness of the I.R.S. audit program, including in reviewing possible conflicts of interest for Mr. Trump.

“As I have maintained for years, the committee’s case is very strong and the law is on our side,” Representative Richard E. Neal, Democrat of Massachusetts and chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, said in a brief statement. “I am glad that the Department of Justice agrees and that we can move forward.”

The Treasury Department declined to comment.

Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer Ronald Fischetti did not immediately return phone calls and emails seeking comment on Friday. Reached by phone, Phyllis A. Malgieri, Mr. Fischetti’s legal partner, said, “Knowing him for 32 years, the Italian in him, I’m sure he would have something to say” about the decision. Mr. Trump’s spokeswoman did not immediately return a request for comment.

Mr. Trump’s son Eric Trump and his allies in Congress recoiled at the prospect of his political adversaries gaining access to six years of his personal and business tax data, as well as related I.R.S. files. They accused Mr. Neal and House Democrats of lying about their real intentions, which they claimed were to embarrass and cudgel Mr. Trump.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/us/p ... gress.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

But ... but ... we know he couldn't release his tax records, like all Presidential candidates for many years had done before him because they were under audit, although we know he really wanted to, because as he said in the candidate debates the small amount of tax he paid would have proved that he was really smart.

Presumably they still are under audit, because he never released them, (though he really wanted to, as already stated). So surely the DoJ can't do anything about it?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I am getting my hands on this book. Release date is 21 Sep.

Bob Woodward’s third book in Trump trilogy to cover handling of pandemic
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... logy-books
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!