Is the former President tweaking again, or:

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Is the former President tweaking again, or:

Post by Atlanticmike »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:24 am
MSNBC is also a more reliable source of news, compared to FOX. It sometimes seems like FOX News is trying to push the limit on how egregious a lie they can get away with. The Democracy Now cable channel also has some excellent coverage and documentaries that are very informative and worth watching. CSPAN also often provides some very evenhanded and fair programming, presenting both sides of important issues. I also have a great deal of respect for the TYT network on the internet. Newsmax and OANN, on the other hand, tend to be some of the worst and most eager disseminators of disinformation -- even compared to FOX.

One problem with some of these channels (like CNN and MSNBC) is that sometimes, in their eagerness to seem fair to all sides, they tend to give more time to the more extreme conservative nonsense than they deserve, while at the same time unfairly downplaying some of the best progressive ideas. They are, after all, owned and controlled by huge corporate interests, which tends to cause them to damp down or avoid outright criticism of the wealthy corporate world that provides much of their funding. Like all news sources, they should be viewed at least somewhat critically. Unlike FOX, they seem willing to fact check themselves and retract mistaken reports and claims. I have seen them do so, and have rarely, if ever, seen FOX retract mistaken or untruthful claims. I have considerable respect for Chris Wallace, though. He is about the only at least halfway creditable and honest journalist left on FOX (which probably means his remaining days on FOX are numbered).
Get a life dude! Go outside. Learn how to smile again. Turn the TV off. Go for a walk. Help a neighbor. For Christ sake you guys are addicted to mainstream media. You left Mormonism and fell right into the lap of mainstream cult teachings, damn!!!!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gunnar wrote:

[...] It sometimes seems like FOX News is trying to push the limit on how egregious a lie they can get away with. [...] ( I have seen other networks) fact check themselves and retract mistaken reports and claims. [...] and have rarely, if ever, seen FOX retract mistaken or untruthful claims. I have considerable respect for Chris Wallace, though. He is about the only at least halfway creditable and honest journalist left on FOX (which probably means his remaining days on FOX are numbered).
That seems about right to me. Since all networks reporting on a fast-moving news cycle will sometimes get things wrong, a network that never says "Hey, we got that wrong. Here's a corrected version" is clearly more concerned with making money out of its loyal fanbase that in telling them the truth.

Remind me why the US repealed the law that used to mandate news channels to avoid bias in their reporting. Which political groups led the campaign for repeal, and why?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
MSNBC is also a more reliable source of news, compared to FOX.
Without question, although Fox doesn't set the bar very high (or off the ground at all).

I can't watch MSNBC though, because they, like Fox, seem eager to piss their viewers off over trivial things (although they don't outright fabricate BS to do it like Fox does). I've pretty much stopped watching the news and will only read about it. I don't need someone's twitterpated voice in my head trying to amp me up.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:12 pm
That seems about right to me. Since all networks reporting on a fast-moving news cycle will sometimes get things wrong, a network that never says "Hey, we got that wrong. Here's a corrected version" is clearly more concerned with making money out of its loyal fanbase that in telling them the truth.
Another news source of which I have a fairly high opinion is, of course, BBC. Do you agree?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:41 am
Chap wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:12 pm
Another news source of which I have a fairly high opinion is, of course, BBC. Do you agree?
Its news coverage is still pretty fair and objective.

For that reason, the Conservative governments over the last decade or more have done their best to cut its funding and generally try to scare it into not criticising ministers or (worse) laughing at the Prime Minister. But the fact that it has no advertising revenue from its UK operations still means that it is not dependent on audience share from week to week, which is a stabilising factor.

The BBC also broadcasts a wide range of non-news output that still serves many of the purposes it served when my ears were glued to what was then the 'Home Service' as a kid in a family with no tradition of education or schooling after 13: opening the riches of (non dumbed down) scientific thought, history, cultural complexity and careful analysis of current issues to anybody who listens to its programmes. It opened a new world to me, and still often does.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:00 am
The BBC also broadcasts a wide range of non-news output that still serves many of the purposes it served when my ears were glued to what was then the 'Home Service' as a kid in a family with no tradition of education or schooling after 13: opening the riches of (non dumbed down) scientific thought, history, cultural complexity and careful analysis of current issues to anybody who listens to its programmes. It opened a new world to me, and still often does.
Oh yeah! I certainly agree wholeheartedly with that! The quality of BBC's science, history and cultural programming is at least comparable to that of the very best that PBS has to offer! Indeed, PBS often airs content originated by BBC. Does BBC also sometimes air the best of PBS programming? I'm not sure if I have ever seen that happen.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

‘This just in’, and likely causing the Former Guy to tweak a little harder -
The Republican overseeing the controversial GOP-backed election audit in Arizona has reportedly been banned from entering the building where the recount process is ongoing, after he shared some data with experts that showed the results match the officially certified numbers in Maricopa County.

The Arizona Republic reported on Friday evening that Ken Bennett, Arizona's former Secretary of State who has been described as the audit's "director," was barred from entering the building on the state fairgrounds where the audit is moving forward. The newspaper reported that Bennett had shared some of the audit data with outside experts showing that the ballot recount was tracking "very closely" with Maricopa County's certified results.

Cyber Ninjas, the Florida-based company conducting the audit on behalf of the state's Senate Republicans, told the publication that state Senate President Karen Fann, a Republican, made the decision to block Bennett from the building. Newsweek reached out to Fann for further comment but did not immediately receive a response.
https://www.newsweek.com/arizona-gop-au ... ss-1612791
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

It could hardly become more obvious than it already is that the whole purpose of the exercise is not to reveal truth but to perpetuate a lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:46 am
It could hardly become more obvious than it already is that the whole purpose of the exercise is not to reveal truth but to perpetuate a lie.
Never forget when lying to the absolute brainlets who comprise the GQP, like the jackasses who’ve been posting lately, the enemy is both strong and weak. Oh, and the ‘struggle’ is real. The GQP needs this thing to keep going so they can create political fodder for their base. As long as they keep perpetuating the Big Lie, Fox News and social media will make hay out of it. We’re watching fascism emerge in real time and there’s not much we can do about it if people and organizations are determined to fan the flames.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:15 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:46 am
Never forget when lying to the absolute brainlets who comprise the GQP, like the jackasses who’ve been posting lately, the enemy is both strong and weak. Oh, and the ‘struggle’ is real. The GQP needs this thing to keep going so they can create political fodder for their base. As long as they keep perpetuating the Big Lie, Fox News and social media will make hay out of it. We’re watching fascism emerge in real time and there’s not much we can do about it if people and organizations are determined to fan the flames.

- Doc
You're just upset because you've had your ass handed to you the last week or so on this board.