On audits, elections and public trust

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Re: On audits, elections and public trust

Post by jpatterson »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:58 pm
I have no regrets for my vote (I own multiple small businesses and I buy fuel)
Adding you to the increasingly long list of people I know who admit that their primary reason for voting for Trump is/was naked self-interest. Screw democracy I need a good first quarter!!

I'd say that's one of the biggest fault lines -- people who vote for the common good vs people who are only looking out for themselves. Trump does a really great job attracting the latter because he's the paragon of self interest.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

jpatterson wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:35 pm
Mayan Elephant wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:58 pm
I have no regrets for my vote (I own multiple small businesses and I buy fuel)
Adding you to the increasingly long list of people I know who admit that their primary reason for voting for Trump is/was naked self-interest. Screw democracy I need a good first quarter!!

I'd say that's one of the biggest fault lines -- people who vote for the common good vs people who are only looking out for themselves. Trump does a really great job attracting the latter because he's the paragon of self interest.
Some months ago I posted an experience I had with a client of mine who is a doctor and he insisted I should vote for Trump for one reason and one reason only. His precious tax cut. He was a doctor, but apparently a moron when it came to taxes. He didn't understand that the 3% tax increase proposed under Biden applied to the income over $400k. And now ME seems like a moron who thinks fuel prices are determined by who is President.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:33 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:20 pm
It’s no surprise to me that ME prefers a dictator to a democratically elected official. Republicans prefer tyranny.

- Doc
Liar.

That is not what I prefer and not what I said.
Haven't you been advocating for an unelected Trump to be placed in office by virtue of the Big Lie that the election was stolen from him?

by the way, Trump has accrued the world record for most recorded lies told by a world leader. My guess is that future Republicans will try to equal that record since it seems to energize the Trump base. With a little help from Moscow, they just might make it.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Mayan Elephant
CTR A

Post by Mayan Elephant »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:32 am

Haven't you been advocating for an unelected Trump to be placed in office by virtue of the Big Lie that the election was stolen from him?

by the way, Trump has accrued the world record for most recorded lies told by a world leader. My guess is that future Republicans will try to equal that record since it seems to energize the Trump base. With a little help from Moscow, they just might make it.
So. You lied about me. Followed by that.

Moksha. Most people have never met Trump. I have not. Most people have met a POS liar like you. Meaning, someone who lies to them and about them without any awareness whatsoever, like you just did. Just like you. The fault lines and divides are getting deeper and and wider. The polarization is getting worse. Frankly, that is a good thing if the alternative is to put up with sht like this from a POS like you - someone that would lie to someone just for a handjob from his online pals. I hope they did ya right.
"Everyone else here knows what I am talking about." - jpatterson, June 1, 2021, 11:46 ET
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:01 pm
Moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:32 am

So. You lied about me. Followed by that.

Moksha. Most people have never met Trump. I have not. Most people have met a POS liar like you. Meaning, someone who lies to them and about them without any awareness whatsoever, like you just did. Just like you. The fault lines and divides are getting deeper and and wider. The polarization is getting worse. Frankly, that is a good thing if the alternative is to put up with sht like this from a POS like you - someone that would lie to someone just for a handjob from his online pals. I hope they did ya right.
Most people have met a POS liar like you.
The fault lines and divides are getting deeper and and wider.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Mayan Elephant
CTR A

Post by Mayan Elephant »

Icarus wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:51 am
jpatterson wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:35 pm

Some months ago I posted an experience I had with a client of mine who is a doctor and he insisted I should vote for Trump for one reason and one reason only. His precious tax cut. He was a doctor, but apparently a moron when it came to taxes. He didn't understand that the 3% tax increase proposed under Biden applied to the income over $400k. And now ME seems like a moron who thinks fuel prices are determined by who is President.
Voting for one's own interest is not exclusive of voting for the greater good. Taking care of yourself is not exclusive of taking care of your family. In fact, if more people voted in their best interest, collectively that is better for the greater community. They are not exclusive. This does not apply only to voting or economics. It can also apply to things like mental health and physical health. It can apply to education and trade skills. By getting a better education and bettering oneself, that is additive to the greater good of the community and family.

Who is president does not determine fuel prices. What a president does can influence a lot of things, including but not limited to commodity prices and inflation. It seems that it is more important for you to insult people and make generalizations than it is to deal with facts. On this particular issue, perhaps you are unaware of the effect that raising transportation prices for commodities would have on the retail price of the same commodity. It was more important for you to call someone a moron than to consider the facts, if that helps your feelings, I am happy to have contributed.

But, you just keep on twisting and insulting with reckless abandon. It seems important to you and I do not want to get in your way. Maybe, if you keep it up, you too can get some adoration from your friends for your brave defense of the fault lines in your bubble. Stunning bravery. So brave.

I never said screw democracy and I am unaware of anyone that has said that, particularly in relation to a quarterly financial result. But you just keep on lying like that if that helps. I prefer democracy. I fear the powder keg and consequences of undermining the core foundation in the republic or democracy which is credible elections. I think a monarchy or dictatorship is a better alternative than a republic without credibility. I prefer democracy. I will not participate in a process that validates something that is not credible or real. Y'all get to have it your way, which, in the single acceptable ideology on this board, is to vote by mail without ID and without signature verification and without custody verification and without election laws and with dueling media cabals. I am giving you what you want, right? You are getting no contest from me in the selection of your candidates in the republic. All you have to do is make sure that there is voting by mail and no voter ID, and I will never vote. Is that not beneficial to having your people in office if me (or anyone like me) bows out of the contest? Or, do you need me to vote like you and be like you and talk like you and applaud your stunning lies and stunning bravery for lying to feel some validation for your choice?
"Everyone else here knows what I am talking about." - jpatterson, June 1, 2021, 11:46 ET
Mayan Elephant
CTR A

Post by Mayan Elephant »

Icarus wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:51 am

He was a doctor, but apparently a moron when it came to taxes.

And now ME seems like a moron who thinks fuel prices are determined by who is President.
Icarus, do tell. What is your profession? What is your experience? What makes you an expert on taxes and commodity prices?

You seem to be qualified to know that a doctor is a moron, and that someone who was one of the top ranked oilfield service analysts in the wall street journal during a bear market is a moron. You must have some incredible profession and qualification other than just reading the opinions of your peers here in this silo of backslappers, yes? You must have one hell of a background to know so much about these professions, taxes, economies, commodities, tax law, business ownership, partnerships and people to make these assignments of moronnesses, yes?

I can call you a POS a crap liar when you lie to me and about me. You are that, though I respect your stunning bravery in the face of maybe not getting some love from your buddies. I cannot credibly call you a moron about things I know nothing about, nor would it be helpful me to lie about what you have said and done and then call you a moron as if my lies were foundational truths rather than just ideological nonsense. But when you lie to me about me - I can certainly call you a POS liar.

So, tell us. Since you know more than all these other professionals, what is your qualification or experience and how is that you can also decipher such insight into these other people?
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:42 pm
I never said screw democracy and I am unaware of anyone that has said that
It's amusing how often you hide behind literalness in order to avoid taking responsibility for your stances.

"I never explicitly said 'screw democracy' so I don't know how you could possibly think that I support a President who is willing to tear gas his own citizens who are exercising their first amendment rights just so he can take a photo opp."

Trump gave a middle finger to the constitution that day and you still voted for him. Because...fuel prices.

You're a gem, ME. Never change.
Mayan Elephant
CTR A

Post by Mayan Elephant »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:26 pm
Mayan Elephant wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:42 pm
I never said screw democracy and I am unaware of anyone that has said that
It's amusing how often you hide behind literalness in order to avoid taking responsibility for your stances.

"I never explicitly said 'screw democracy' so I don't know how you could possibly think that I support a President who is willing to tear gas his own citizens who are exercising their first amendment rights just so he can take a photo opp."

Trump gave a middle finger to the constitution that day and you still voted for him. Because...fuel prices.

You're a gem, ME. Never change.
Oh, oh, oh, oh oh oh oh the irony.

What you are actually saying here is that you would like me to ignore the facts and accept your interpretation that is not based on facts. You are suggesting that literalness is not relevant when ideology and interpretation suits your needs. You are suggestion that your confirmation bias of what you want to interpret is more factual to you than the literalness of anything that was actually said.

In support of your bias, you made up a quote of something not related to anything we were talking about as a means to further blur reality and literalness to validate some sort of victimization. I actually have no idea where you got that quote. Without attribution, I must accept that you made it all up. I did not vote for anyone that gave a middle finger to the constitution. And, in fact, I have no idea what the hell you are referencing with that suggestion. Nobody does.

If you are suggesting in this post that I said that quote, you are a POS liar. If you are just not very good at this, that is fine too.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:42 pm
And, in fact, I have no idea what the hell you are referencing with that suggestion. Nobody does.
Everyone else here knows what I'm talking about.

But again, keep hiding behind pedantics.