My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

Post by Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:05 am
Gadianton wrote: It's not enough to convince me, and I'm one of those who hold the opinion of interstellar distances being too vast.
That's part of my attitude to any interpretation of these reports in terms of visits to our planet by extra-terrestrials. Basically, in order to interpret them as such, we need to make the following suppositions:

(a) We know enough about our own solar system to be pretty sure that it contains no technically advanced species other than our own. Any visiting extraterrestrials must therefore also be extra-solar. and thus have traversed distances from which light takes (at minimum) several years to reach us.

(b) Thus any supposed visiting ETs must have technology that enables them to travel at speeds that current physics says are impossible. But, even though they do not seem to have any wish to contact us, they still seem technically unable to avoid betraying their presence from time to time. Really? But they have still managed to avoid emitting any radio signals from their home planet that might reveal their presence, despite decades of careful searching on our part.

Basically, the supposition that these reports are simply do with features of our technology, our natural environment on earth, and the perceptions and witness statements of human observers that we do not yet fully understand is hugely less improbable that the 'interstellar visitors' supposition. But of course, the fact that the latter supposition is much more exciting than the first means that news organisations love to do 'what-ifs' about it, and people love to tickle their fancies by allowing themselves to believe it might well be the case.

Reality is sometimes a bit of a party pooper, I know ...
All very good points! As you indicated, the idea that beings so incredibly advanced as they would have to be compared to us would be technically unable to entirely avoid ever accidentally betraying their presence to us, despite not wishing to contact us seems so far fetched that this may be one of the most compelling arguments against the UFO sightings actually being evidence of extraterrestrial visitors from other solar systems.

The idea that something like the Alcubierre warp drive that would enable us to reach the stars might actually be possible might seem both appealing and exciting, but, so far, that doesn't seem to be anything close to becoming a reality.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I honestly don’t know what to make of some of these events. I do have a black triangle story, but never (that I recall) talked about it. I do wonder if what we’re seeing is some sort of natural phenomenon, perhaps quantum tunneling, or something extra-dimensional passing through 3rd dimensional space. To be honest, I know other dimensions are theoretically or mathematically possible, but do they actually exist in the sense that life occupies ‘space’ there? I have no idea.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Just so there is no mistake, let me state my bias. I want aliens and UFOs to be real. That's against my better judgment because if they are, humanity is assuredly screwed. But, that's my impulse. I'm really, really ready to give a good sighting the benefit of the doubt. These military videos are the only one's I've felt have even been worth looking at. I'm very interested in seeing how it develops.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a law of nature that dictates a proportional relationship between camera technology and saucer distances from people. It doesn't matter how cameras proliferate and increase in power, they can never get a clear picture of a saucer. If some of the pics taken relatively close in the 50s had been taken with a reasonable camera today, then we'd have the smoking gun.
Doc Cam wrote:some sort of natural phenomenon,
According to David, their radar was getting actively jammed. That was indicated by the 'vector' (?) reading of 99.9 as he explains in his walkthrough. I'd say that narrows it down to an elaborate government hoax or it rules out natural phenomena. A firmware bug that just so happens to display a tictac object for multiple fighters at the same time and shows up as jammed radar; hard to believe. I mean, that's a really serious security flaw to persist in fighters for 20+ years.

I'm jealous you saw a black triangle. I'd love to see one.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Does anyone have a link to the full 60 minutes broadcast? All I can find are clips.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:22 am
Doctor Todd Grande's take on the subject.
Did I get you hooked on Grande? ;-) He's taking a lot of heat in the comments for what he said about radar. Anyway, I've only watched the beginning of that commentary and will finish today.

(I want to say this again for folks new to Grande. He never used to make snarky remarks in this evaluations. I don't know why he's doing that now but I don't think they get in the way of his credibility with me. Maybe he just finally decided to let his sense of humor show on his channel.)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Gad,

Yeah, it was in northern Nevada in the late 90’s. It was unmistakable and astonishing. I just assumed it was some sort of test stealth craft. It flew silent, was very large, slow moving, and perpendicular to the ground holding steady as it drifted away. 20 years in MI, two tours to Iraq, worked with the alphabet agencies to include NSA MASINT, and never saw that kind of platform used. So, who knows.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

how clear was the body of the craft? did it have the 3 lights? how far above your head was it?

The "Phoenix lights" always seemed like it could have potentially been a good one but it fell short in a few ways for me so I wrote that one off long ago. Probably the most damning thing about it (to me, and given the modest evidence that I had considered) was this lady who was a key witness in favor of it being real spaceships said at one point, that you could only see the lights, not the body of the craft. That seemed to fall right in to the skeptics "flare" explanation.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:28 pm
how clear was the body of the craft? did it have the 3 lights? how far above your head was it?

The "Phoenix lights" always seemed like it could have potentially been a good one but it fell short in a few ways for me so I wrote that one off long ago. Probably the most damning thing about it (to me, and given the modest evidence that I had considered) was this lady who was a key witness in favor of it being real spaceships said at one point, that you could only see the lights, not the body of the craft. That seemed to fall right in to the skeptics "flare" explanation.
It was blackout, and very large. If I had to guess, something like 100M tip to tip. I forget what highway it was but the reservoir or body of water was to my right as we were descending in elevation next to it. It was at night, but very clear. I actually pulled the car over and got out and just watched it. It was probably about, I dunno, a mile away as the crow flies. That’s about all I got, and again I don’t know what to make of it. I’m an Occam’s razor kind of dude, so it could’ve been anything. Also, it wasn’t equilateral.

Ha. Googling ‘black triangle aircraft’ I came across this:

https://www.space.com/302-silent-runnin ... -rise.html
. They have become legendary in UFO circles. Huge, silent-running "Flying Triangles" have been seen by ground observers creeping through the sky low and slow near cities and quietly cruising over highways.

The National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS), has catalogued the Triangle sightings, sifting through and combining databases to take a hard look at the mystery craft. Based in Las Vegas, Nevada, NIDS is a privately funded science institute with a strong research focusing on aerial phenomena.The results of their study have just been released and lead to some unnerving, still puzzling conclusions.

The study points out: "The United States is currently experiencing a wave of Flying Triangle sightings that may have intensified in the 1990s, especially towards the latter part of the 1990s. The wave continues. The Flying Triangles are being openly deployed over and near population centers, including in the vicinity of major Interstate Highways."
edit: To give you an idea of what I saw, take this triangle, slice it down middle, take the left half of it, flip it over and then flip it to the right and that’s the shape.

- Doc
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:07 pm
I want aliens and UFOs to be real. That's against my better judgment because if they are, humanity is assuredly screwed. But, that's my impulse. I'm really, really ready to give a good sighting the benefit of the doubt.
OK.

But since you do think (at least I assume that you think) it is worthwhile to ascertain what is most likely to be the case, rather than what to go with would be exciting should it turn out to be the case, and given the extreme unlikelihood that a strange phenomenon observed near the surface of our planet is likely to be attributable to the activities of entities of immense technical sophistication from many light-years away who have inadvertently let their guard down for a few minutes ... I take it that even the fullest benefit of the doubt you are willing to grant will simply increase the likelihood of the "It's aliens!' option from zero to more like 0.0000000000000001% max.

Or am I wrong there?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Need more proof of UFOs? Trump put his pants on backward:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/06/06/donald-t ... -carolina/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace