My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
DrW
Priest

Re: My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

Post by DrW »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:53 am
Should we be worried that hamburgers are shaped like flying saucers and are also America's favorite food item?
If so then, we should also worry about that fact that:

some UFOs are also shaped like hot dogs.

others are shaped like Doritos.

Some are shaped like fried eggs (sunny side up).

and of course, don't forget about tic-tacs.

Food for thought.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

DrW wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:12 pm
Food for thought.
I see what you did there.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

DrW wrote:

Food for thought.
To me, that one looks more like a double A or triple A battery than like a hot dog.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:34 am
DrW wrote:
Food for thought.
To me, that one looks more like a double A or triple A battery than like a hot dog.
You're right. The two ends look to be nearly flat instead of rounded.
However, it's the closest shape I could find to a tube steak.
Cylindrical UFOs with rounded ends like hot dogs have often been referred to as "cigar shaped" in the past.

However, a Google search for a cigar shaped UFO image now is likely to return “Oumuamua”.
The more current cylindricals with rounded ends have a smaller aspect ratio and the Navy pilots call them "tic-tacs".
Navy pilots refer to the saucer shaped UFOs, that often rotate to the vertical to accelerate, as "gimbals".

Sometimes it's hard to keep up.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:19 am
I liked your video, Philo. I wasn't even aware that one of the pilots was hitting the podcast circuit. So I watched David Fravor on Joe Rogan afterwards.
David Fravor and the Navy UFO videos shouldn't be taken seriously.

"Nimitz FLIR1 "Tic-Tac" UFO Video - No Sudden Moves!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1di0XIa9RQ
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

It's interesting to think about UFOs in the context of SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrials). The idea that 2 life forms from different parts of the Universe could make a connection through space and time is nearly miraculous. The idea that the planet earth would be subject to repeated probes would mean either one life form sent repeated probes or more than one life source in the Universe that has discovered life on earth.

Think of the amount of time humanity has been able to actually conceptualize the idea of of whether or not there is extraterrestrial life. A few thousand years? And in our human hubris we expect the answer to a question stretching across the space and time of the Universe can be answered in our lifetimes.

Yes, the answer may be out there, but it's not concerned with human timetables.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Gunnar wrote:
DrW wrote:

Food for thought.
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the alien ship from Arthur C Clarke's Rama series.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Father Francis wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:01 pm
Gunnar wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the alien ship from Arthur C Clarke's Rama series.
Given the direction of the conversation, I first read that as Clarke's Ramen series.

But then, there is also the Flying Spaghetti Monster with its Noodly Appendages, so.... :lol:
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:45 pm
Given the direction of the conversation, I first read that as Clarke's Ramen series.

But then, there is also the Flying Spaghetti Monster with its Noodly Appendages, so.... :lol:
Praise his Noodly Appendages! Have you read His Gospel, by the way? It has something to say about how to handle LDS missionaries.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Father Francis wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:37 pm
Praise his Noodly Appendages! Have you read His Gospel, by the way? It has something to say about how to handle LDS missionaries.
What does it say?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024