My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

Post by Gadianton »

Cam,

Pretty cool. suppose somebody showed up and started telling you that you're lying, or that it was an illusion, or just made fun of it or whatever. On a scale of 1 to 10, how badly would that bother you?

Chap,
I take it that even the fullest benefit of the doubt you are willing to grant will simply increase the likelihood of the "It's aliens!' option from zero to more like 0.0000000000000001% max.
I'm not capable of comprehending probabilities that small or probabilities too granular. I'm not sure I could tell, subjectively, the difference between something I give 10% possibility or something I give a 20% possibility. To give anything a chance at all, I'd probably have to give it 5% at least. So I'd say the chances of alien tech (not necessarily biological alien beings) is 5%, for the fighter-jet videos. I'd say the chance of the restoration of the gospel is 0%, subjectively.

I think that gamblers get into trouble in part because odds that are subjectively exaggerated. I think that I vastly overrate, subjectively, my chances of catching Covid. Not a bad thing, as post 2nd vaccination I still wear and N-95 mask; but I feel like the odds are 30%, and I think they are much lower. But even then, I can guide my subjectivity a little better if there are actual hard numbers.

At the end of the day, the jet-fighter phenomena is necessary to explore on its own terms and hopefully those in charge of the research have zero vested interest in aliens. I commend you if your subjective impulse puts aliens at 0%. All I said is that I must disclose my bias. I can't force myself to believe something less than I do. All I can do is be honest about it and acknowledge it, so that you're all duly warned that I might be too optimistic about evidence that seems favorable to alien tech.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:00 pm
Cam,

Pretty cool. suppose somebody showed up and started telling you that you're lying, or that it was an illusion, or just made fun of it or whatever. On a scale of 1 to 10, how badly would that bother you?
Could we take it down to a half star? But seriously, I’d get it. Back in 2019 I came across this website by some guy, I have no idea who he is or how I stumbled across his musings:

https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/are ... e-of-2018/

https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/are ... ve-desert/

Both links are good for a read, topically. Anyway, I sent him this note 7/7/2019:

“ Message Body: I tried sending you a message a week or so ago, but it didn't process. Bottom line, I was stationed at Ft. Irwin in the 90's and saw a BIG one flying perpendicular to the ground as I was driving through Nevada. It was going slowly, totally blacked out, and it was silent. It was incredible.”

He responded:

“ Hi ———

Because apparently spamming contact forms is a thing, I had to implement
filter to get rid of all the idiots. You may have used one of the filter
words inadvertently so the form dumped your message.

Yep, slow moving big black triangles were really a thing in the 1990s. I
haven't heard many reports lately. Now the really fast moving black
triangles....I have no idea what those are.

If it was flying perpendicular to the ground, it may have been in radar
"antenna mode" at that moment. I've heard reports of their shuttling
between the China lake area and Area 51, but nothing recent.”

Then I responded:

“ Hi —-,

Thanks for getting back to me! Yeah, the incident was in '96 or '97 if I recall correctly.

So, I spent 20 years in MI (SIGINT and then CI), and 7 years in USASOC where I was in Iraq twice. The only platforms I ever saw were conventional and drones. JSOC worked closely with the NSA and CIA using various SAPs to collect intel and target HVIs. Unfortunately, I never saw that particular aircraft in use. I'm not into the alien conspiracy stuff, but recently watched a Bob Lazar interview on Joe Rogan's podcast, and it led me down a Google rabbit hole which brought me to your website.

Anyway. It's interesting, and a little validating, to see that others have noted seeing something similar. If you by chance have any good resources for that surveillance platform I could read about I'm all eyes. It was certainly unexpected since I was driving on a highway in the middle of the night with my then wife; but unlike you mentioned it was somewhere around the northern Nevada, I think, Hwy 93, but I’m a little fuzzy on the exact location.

Respectfully,

————

eta: He didn’t respond.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Thanks for explaining that, Doc. By half star did you mean 1/2 out of 10?

If so, to me that's the right attitude.

I think the reason the apologists are so touchy about their testimonies and so on, is because they have very low confidence in their experiences.

I can't speak for everyone, but for adults living in the real world and more or less independent and successful in life, I'd say there is really only one way to approach something like seeing a black triangle. You have to first consider how you would react to somebody else's experience, had you not had yours, and realize that you'd not just go all-in with belief either. And those who might, do so often for the wrong reasons. That kind of self-awareness implies that you're going to set expectations anytime you decide to bring it up. I'm very jealous you've seen a black triangle. I'd love to see one. And personally, if I did and and if I ever told people about it who gave me crap, I wouldn't care because I'd just be happy I saw it. I'd know that convincing people isn't even necessarily a good thing. It's not just believing something that is right, but believing it for the right reasons.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:27 am
Thanks for explaining that, Doc. By half star did you mean 1/2 out of 10?
It was an attempt at referential humor, ie, Peterson’s Rotten Tomatoes obssession.

- Doc

PS- 1/2 is accurate
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

A fantastic experience Doc... I'm with Gad, seeing something like that would rock... er, I think anyway. As long as it didn't attack me - GRIN! I'd hate to have to give an alien a left hook to the jaw.... :D

On the June 25th report coming out, I have to say, I truly don't expect all that much out of it. It will deny and yet not explain much is what I am suspecting. I mean, it IS coming from the government...

If Rogan is right in some of his vids with these UFO guys (I have watched almost 12 hours worth now this last week), then this paper won't be anything like an expose all let alone sharing much information. They just don't do that. If all this stuff is under the control of private enterprise, it is even less likely to have much to sink our teeth into. We shall see...

I hope I am not over doing Rogan this, Rogan that, but he does seem to have the best approach as far as a mix of skepticism and possibility in reality being changed. He's attempting to take a middle road, and I find myself in that boat also... I am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on this.

I mentioned in my vid I might share my interview with the woman who was abducted, and a few have expressed interest in it. I went back through it today. I am surprised at my response to myself after all these years. I did such a lousy job! Lol..... hey I was young and inexperienced, I chock it up to that.

I promised I was gonna make a vid of it, and I will, but the nice thing now is I can add my hind sight to it after lo these 30 years later, which I think could be valuable.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:09 pm
Does anyone have a link to the full 60 minutes broadcast? All I can find are clips.
Someone in the comments section of my vid gave them... hope that helps.
Here is the Rogan link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco2s3-0zsQ

And Google 60 Minutes, I do believe the full version is there. The link in the comments on my vid is only a clip also, darn it.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:00 pm
I'd say the chances of alien tech (not necessarily biological alien beings) is 5%, for the fighter-jet videos. I'd say the chance of the restoration of the gospel is 0%, subjectively.

[...]

At the end of the day, the jet-fighter phenomena is necessary to explore on its own terms and hopefully those in charge of the research have zero vested interest in aliens. I commend you if your subjective impulse puts aliens at 0%. All I said is that I must disclose my bias. I can't force myself to believe something less than I do. All I can do is be honest about it and acknowledge it, so that you're all duly warned that I might be too optimistic about evidence that seems favorable to alien tech.
Thank you for your frank and courteous response. As I have said, there are basically two options facing us, apart from the "those guys are all making stuff up, or maybe they had been smoking something weird" option, which I leave out to simplify the discussion. And of those options, the "It's the aliens" involves so many huge improbabilities compared to the "Someone on the earth is doing stuff they are not telling us about" option and the "unexplained natural/medical phenomena" option that the only reason for continuing to entertain the "aliens" option is because it's more fun.

And frankly, having a little harmless fun on such a topic is no big deal compared to pandemics and attempts to subvert US democracy by violence or by passing modern versions of the Jim Crow laws. So have fun!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I've been paying as much attention to this UFO stuff as I have the Wuhan lab stuff.

I'll be interested when there's something concrete in which to take interest. I generally find these conversations as fun as conversations about when Jesus is coming back or the divinity of Joe Smith.

I think the odds are in favor of us not being alone in the universe, but the odds are outrageous folks from any two worlds with life will meet each other. From a tech standpoint, humanity is way more likely to blow itself up than to harness light speed travel.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 pm
I've been paying as much attention to this UFO stuff as I have the Wuhan lab stuff.

I'll be interested when there's something concrete in which to take interest. I generally find these conversations as fun as conversations about when Jesus is coming back or the divinity of Joe Smith.

I think the odds are in favor of us not being alone in the universe, but the odds are outrageous folks from any two worlds with life will meet each other. From a tech standpoint, humanity is way more likely to blow itself up than to harness light speed travel.
I would so love it if you were wrong, but, yeah, I'm right there with ya more or less. I suspect it is part of the reason why I really am hoping there is something real here. We humans probably won't make it on our own, so if the aliens are helpful that would be a good thing. Of course, I assume aliens.... yeah.......problematic as all get out I admit....
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:21 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:09 pm
Does anyone have a link to the full 60 minutes broadcast? All I can find are clips.
Someone in the comments section of my vid gave them... hope that helps.
Here is the Rogan link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco2s3-0zsQ

And Google 60 Minutes, I do believe the full version is there. The link in the comments on my vid is only a clip also, darn it.
You're the only good one around here Philo Sofee. Thank you!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!