MeDotOrg Walgreens theft in San Francisco

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: MeDotOrg Walgreens theft in San Francisco

Post by Moksha »

Ajax, what would you like to see be done about black people?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

thanks Dr. Steuss.

Ajax, are you like so mentally impaired that it never occurs to you to look up something?
If the value of the stolen merchandise doesn’t exceed $950, it’s no longer a felony. Anything $950 and below is a simple misdemeanor. How sweet is that?
https://www.anthonycantrell.com/blog/20 ... ting-laws/

An overview of Texas shoplifting laws

Less than $100: Class C misdemeanor
Between $100 and $750: Class B misdemeanor
Between $750 and $2,500: Class A misdemeanor
Between $2,500 and $30,000: State jail felony
Between $30,000 and $150,000: Third-degree felony
Between $150,000 and $300,000: Second-degree felony
More than $300,000: First-degree felony

Simply put, if you ever have to get another job, no misdemeanor is sweet. if you don't, then what does it matter?

I'll wager that the high thresholds of Texas are meant to put the burden of security on businesses to keep taxes lower. Do you really want to pay to keep petty thieves in jail?
Would you shop at a store where this stuff goes on?

In other words Ajax, would you shop anywhere in Texas?

After reading this, don't you think it's fair to admit that you've been a moron, at least in this instance?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

It does nothing to address the underlying poverty that precipitates the action.
Well that's an honest take.

in my opinion there's plenty of people much poorer than this in the world who don't blatantly steal like this. I think this is more a symptom of a political ideology that attempts to justify and make excuses for this kind of behavior than it is due to poverty. California sure offers a more robust social welfare safety net for people like this than Florida or Texas. Thankfully this is not something we tolerate down south.

But if you're happier living that way in California, what does it matter if I like the way you run things. It's good that we can have separate states with separate laws and government policies.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:49 pm
This is an interesting take from an African American officer. Perhaps Walgreens still makes money there in spite of the shrinkage rate. It sure seems like anyone could walk in and take what they want without paying.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/sa ... d=msedgntp
What was your intent by pointing out her race?

- Doc
It's his love language.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I don’t know the full reasoning behind it, but here (in Satan’s buttcrack), friends who work at major grocery chains have told me they are instructed to not try to physically detain shoplifters.
Ben Shapiro pointed out that this is the policy at Walgreens in California as well. Do most people ride their bicycles down the aisles of a drugstore in California as well?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

I've lived within California for the majority of my life, but I have never been to San Francisco.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Ajax, what would you like to see be done about black people?
I'm not convinced that black people are the problem. It's the politics of California that breeds this kind of behavior. So I'd institute a remain in California policy for all Democrats. Don't New York my Florida and don't California my Texas.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:36 pm
and you're a stupid liar, lying again.
What exactly was the lie I told?
You're pretending to care about crime again, when we know you don't give a crap. You only care who commits the crime so you can jump on them if the scenario fits your idiotic narrative.
Thank you for coming to this country and voting for policies that created this type of environment.
Lying again. You simply can't help yourself.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:50 am
thanks Dr. Steuss.

Ajax, are you like so mentally impaired that it never occurs to you to look up something?
If the value of the stolen merchandise doesn’t exceed $950, it’s no longer a felony. Anything $950 and below is a simple misdemeanor. How sweet is that?

An overview of Texas shoplifting laws

Less than $100: Class C misdemeanor
Between $100 and $750: Class B misdemeanor
Between $750 and $2,500: Class A misdemeanor
Between $2,500 and $30,000: State jail felony
Between $30,000 and $150,000: Third-degree felony
Between $150,000 and $300,000: Second-degree felony
More than $300,000: First-degree felony

Simply put, if you ever have to get another job, no misdemeanor is sweet. if you don't, then what does it matter?

I'll wager that the high thresholds of Texas are meant to put the burden of security on businesses to keep taxes lower. Do you really want to pay to keep petty thieves in jail?
Would you shop at a store where this stuff goes on?

In other words Ajax, would you shop anywhere in Texas?

After reading this, don't you think it's fair to admit that you've been a moron, at least in this instance?
I couldn't help noticing that ajax had no comeback to this post. How about it, ajax? What is your response to the fact that Texas, a red state, is actually far more lenient in this respect than California?
Last edited by Gunnar on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The question is does any municipality or DA in Texas decline to charge and prosecute a shoplifter like San Fran does? Is a shoplifter just issued a citation?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.