Sheldon Whitehouse for President!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Sheldon Whitehouse for President!

Post by Gunnar »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 pm
How old is Sheldon Whitehouse?
He was born Oct. 20, 1955 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Whitehouse, so he will turn 67 this year. In 2024 he will be 69. If he is still healthy and vigorous at that time, he could serve two terms as President and still be younger and probably healthier than Biden is now. It may still be advantageous, though, for someone younger who is as well qualified as him to run in 2024. I think it would be hard to find someone even better qualified, though.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:06 am
Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 pm
How old is Sheldon Whitehouse?
He was born Oct. 20, 1955 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Whitehouse, so he will turn 67 this year. In 2024 he will be 69. If he is still healthy and vigorous at that time, he could serve two terms as President and still be younger and probably healthier than Biden is now. It may still be advantageous, though, for someone younger who is as well qualified as him to run in 2024. I think it would be hard to find someone even better qualified, though.
Is Whitehouse still a member of the all white yacht club?

That would make total sense for the Democrats to nominate a US Senator that is a member of a whites only yacht club. They nominated Biden and he loved that segregation and segregationists.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
It may still be advantageous, though, for someone younger who is as well qualified as him to run in 2024. I think it would be hard to find someone even better qualified, though.
I think Pete Buttigieg is smarter, more honest, and harder working than any other potential candidate. However, Utah would sucede from the Union and possibly the planet if Buttigieg became President. However, with the new Republicanism, the dissolution of the America and the formation of a fascist dictatorship seems inevitable.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:48 pm
Gunnar wrote:
It may still be advantageous, though, for someone younger who is as well qualified as him to run in 2024. I think it would be hard to find someone even better qualified, though.
I think Pete Buttigieg is smarter, more honest, and harder working than any other potential candidate. However, Utah would sucede [sic] from the Union and possibly the planet if Buttigieg became President. However, with the new Republicanism, the dissolution of the America and the formation of a fascist dictatorship seems inevitable.
I certainly don't have any objections to Buttigieg. If he were the nominee in 2024, I would gladly vote for him. I agree that he may well be second to no one in the positive attributes you listed for him. But I also agree with you that the backlash from Republican, hard right conservatives, including most Utahns would be brutal, and could lead to violence and possibly even to calls for secession from the union. How about a ticket with both Whitehouse and Buttigieg on it, with either one of them as President?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:50 pm
How about a ticket with both Whitehouse and Buttigieg on it, with either one of them as President?
Sounds good. Biden seems like a decent person who is due for a well-earned retirement.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:55 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:50 pm
How about a ticket with both Whitehouse and Buttigieg on it, with either one of them as President?
Sounds good. Biden seems like a decent person who is due for a well-earned retirement.
Any updates on his all-white club memberships? Or, was it Whites-only? I
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Binger wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:32 pm
Moksha wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:55 pm

Any updates on his all-white club memberships? Or, was it Whites-only?
Are you aware of the fact that when the Rhode Island senator, who was first elected in 2006, initially ran for his office, he disavowed his membership and pledged to quit the club?
Reached for comment by The Post, Whitehouse senior spokeswoman Meaghan McCabe said that the country club was not all-white, but declined to provide further information or proof.

“The club has no such restrictive policy. The club has had and has members of color,” McCabe said, “The Senator has dedicated his entire career to promoting equity and protecting civil rights, as his record shows.”

Efforts to reach management at Bailey’s by phone were unsuccessful. The individual who answered refused to transfer the call and said the club was declining to comment.

Picture of Whitehouse in Congress.
While Whitehouse appeared to dismiss the club’s circumstances, his wife, Sandra Whitehouse, is one of the three largest shareholders in the club.

GoLocal pressed Whitehouse and his office over his membership multiple times in 2017, noting that more than a decade had passed since his unkept campaign promise was made.

After the lawmaker repeatedly declined requests for comment on his involvement in the club, a GoLocal reporter confronted Whitehouse at a Newport-based event in late August of that year.

“I think it would be nice if they changed a little bit, but it’s not my position,” the left-wing senator told the outlet.

Asked that same year if he intended to pressure the club to do better on diversity, Whitehouse replied, “I will take that up privately,” before declining to comment on the matter further.

It is not clear if or how he has taken the matter up with his better half.

GoLocal reported back in August of that year that for both Sheldon and Sandra, membership in Bailey’s “goes back generations.”

“Their parents, both of them, and their children summered at the ultra-exclusive club and had access to socializing and building contacts with some of the wealthiest families whose ranks include multiple billionaires.”
Nevertheless, I admit that I find his and his wife's association with such an exclusive club at least somewhat disturbing and off-putting, if not dismayingly hypocritical, if it really is true that it denies membership on the basis of race or ethnicity.

ETA: I will say this much, if Whitehouse does run for President in 2024, I will be less inclined to support him as the Democrat nominee if he has not yet honored his pledge of 2006, and the club has not yet moderated whatever racial or ethnic restrictions it is alleged to have. But if Trump is the GOP nominee, Whitehouse would still be almost infinitely preferable to him!
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:42 pm

“Their parents, both of them, and their children summered at the ultra-exclusive club and had access to socializing and building contacts with some of the wealthiest families whose ranks include multiple billionaires.”
Oh. Well if they got to socialize with wealthy whites then I am sure they liked it a lot.