Sheldon Whitehouse for President!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Sheldon Whitehouse for President!

Post by Gunnar »

Another brilliant presentation by Sheldon Whitehouse.
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) gives away how dark money led to two recent and outrageous Supreme Court decisions. It all leads back to the GOP push to capture the courts.
One of the commentators, Jessica Oppegard wrote:
I get so angry that they are always doing “Polls”to see what people wants. Then we the people NEVER get what we want! Almost NONE of the politicians work for the people! It’s infuriating!
She is so right. Time and again polls indicate certain preferences for which the American populace expresses overwhelming support that the politicians currently in power (particularly Republican ones) adamantly oppose. This is enraging!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

It's a cycle. The GOP base is compelled to whine about how bad the government is, then vote in GOP politicians to make sure they always have that thing to complain about.

Nobody ever accused the GOP base of being rational or logical.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:43 pm
I can't understand what there is about Trump that makes him seem at all believable even to some of the most poorly educated and informed among us, let alone anyone with a higher, university education…

I wonder how many of those who voted for and still support Trump are also flat-earthers. I would not be greatly surprised if Trump himself turned out to be a flat-earther.
If there were enough voting flat earthers, Trump would declare himself a flat earther.

It’s not so much that people believe Trump so much as they want to believe that whatever they think is true. Trump recognizes that if he mirrors back the beliefs of the most vocal voting block, he’d likely be assured the necessary votes to win. Trump himself has few actual convictions and he’s not going to publicly reveal any of them if they’d prevent some vocal, angry and/or insecure cohort from supporting him.

In this way, Trump is the ultimate politician. Between this and his preoccupation with money and grift, he’s one of the most corruptible candidates we’ve seen in the past few decades.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:22 pm
If there were enough voting flat earthers, Trump would declare himself a flat earther.
I have not the slightest doubt about that. This is rather worrisome considering fact that, according to several sources I have looked at, the number of flat earth believers has actually been growing since 2009. I think Trump would rather appeal to conspiracy nuts like flat earthers than to people who tend to base their beliefs on sound, scientific evidence and reality, because the former are far more adamant in their beliefs than the latter, and thus harder to dissuade from mistaken beliefs once they have latched on to them. This is what Trump absolutely depends on--a base that is absolutely impervious to any evidence and reason that casts legitimate doubt on whatever he tells them. I suspect there are probably more flat earthers amongst Trump supporters than we realize, and their number is more likely to grow than shrink.
It’s not so much that people believe Trump so much as they want to believe that whatever they think is true. Trump recognizes that if he mirrors back the beliefs of the most vocal voting block, he’d likely be assured the necessary votes to win
To be sure! And the more he mirrors back those beliefs, the more confident they become in those beliefs, and the more people come to share them, and the more sycophantic supporters he acquires to whom he can reflect them back. Thus it like a malicious and destructive positive feedback loop.
Trump himself has few actual convictions and he’s not going to publicly reveal any of them if they’d prevent some vocal, angry and/or insecure cohort from supporting him.

Yes, this is why he invents and double and triple downs on so many lies. Hardly anything is more inconsequential to him than the truth, sometimes even when the truth actually helps him. All he is concerned about is what will get him elected and increase both his wealth and power. The lies are so obviously working for him.
In this way, Trump is the ultimate politician. Between this and his preoccupation with money and grift, he’s one of the most corruptible candidates we’ve seen in the past few decades.
So obviously true that it never ceases to amaze me how many (though still a minority) still can't or won't see that! That has been working so well for him, that he hardly even tries to hide it!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse: ‘It Looks Like Mitch Just Folded’

The more I see and hear of Sheldon Whitehouse and what he has to say, the more favorably I am impressed by him. His facts and logic about the dangers of dark money and hard right conservatives' relentless efforts to stack the courts from the lowest to the Supreme Court itself with judges beholden to anti-democratic, powerful and extremely wealthy corporate interests and players are simply unassailable and alarming. I am convinced he would make an excellent President. I would rather see him as the Democrat nominee in the next Presidential election than Joe Biden -- partly because of Biden's age and decreasing likelihood of living through a second term, but not only that. I doubt that there are very many people currently in government better informed on the dangers and needs facing our nation than Whitehouse, or more intelligent than he is. I hope he runs and that Biden sees the wisdom of stepping aside and letting younger but well qualified people like Whitehouse have a crack at it. I would surely vote for him, especially over any currently conceivable Republican candidate!
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Post by Tinfoilhat »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 am
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse: ‘It Looks Like Mitch Just Folded’

The more I see and hear of Sheldon Whitehouse and what he has to say, the more favorably I am impressed by him. His facts and logic about the dangers of dark money and hard right conservatives' relentless efforts to stack the courts from the lowest to the Supreme Court itself with judges beholden to anti-democratic, powerful and extremely wealthy corporate interests and players are simply unassailable and alarming. I am convinced he would make an excellent President. I would rather see him as the Democrat nominee in the next Presidential election than Joe Biden -- partly because of Biden's age and decreasing likelihood of living through a second term, but not only that. I doubt that there are very many people currently in government better informed on the dangers and needs facing our nation than Whitehouse, or more intelligent than he is. I hope he runs and that Biden sees the wisdom of stepping aside and letting younger but well qualified people like Whitehouse have a crack at it. I would surely vote for him, especially over any currently conceivable Republican candidate!
Sheldon is actually a woman. Don't tell anyone.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:45 am
:lol: Even that is no crazier than some of the other conspiracy theories and misinformation currently being pushed QAnon, Trump supporters, Fox News, Newsmax, OANN and some other hard right news right sources.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:48 pm
Tinfoilhat wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:45 am
:lol: Even that is no crazier than some of the other conspiracy theories and misinformation currently being pushed QAnon, Trump supporters, Fox News, Newsmax, OANN and some other hard right news right sources.
Ridiculous
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Senator Whitehouse's speech on ending kleptocracy.

As with everything else I have seen or heard by, his views are so right on and clearly presented and meticulously researched, this presentation is yet another evidence that Sheldon Whitehouse would make an excellent President. It is both surprising and dismaying to me that he is not generally ranked higher on the list of potential alternatives to Joe Biden, should Biden decide to step aside and let someone else run in his stead. He should at least be among the top ten contenders, and even higher.

It may be, though, that he considers his legislative efforts in the U.S. Senate to be of greater value to the common good than what he could accomplish as President.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

How old is Sheldon Whitehouse?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace