Heat Wave

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Heat Wave

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:38 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 pm

I wish you could send some of that rain to California!

There are a number of interesting articles about the Heat Dome effect causing this rare phenomenon (including the one I just linked you to). It is, of course, aggravated by the global warming that Conservatives still refuse to acknowledge, and is likely to become less rare in the future because of it.
The link is 404’ing for me.

- Doc
Sorry :oops: try this: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180978085/

I corrected the link in the post you quoted also.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Brack wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 pm
Seattle hit a record high of 108 degrees yesterday. Link
This is one degree higher than the 107 degrees record high for Salt Lake City, which was set back on July 13, 2002 and again recently on June 15th of this year.
It was pretty miserable. Today was cooler, and night time temps are in the 60s.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:36 am
Brack wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 pm
Seattle hit a record high of 108 degrees yesterday. Link
This is one degree higher than the 107 degrees record high for Salt Lake City, which was set back on July 13, 2002 and again recently on June 15th of this year.
Thanks! I was looking forward to you weighing in on how you were doing in the heat wave. Is your home without central air conditioning like the majority of Seattle homes?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Brack wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:45 am
The Northwest has been experiencing an intense heat wave. Climate Change may be responsible for this.

Seattle and Portland endure another day of relentless heat gripping the Northwest
(CNN) - The mercury kept climbing Monday in heat-baked Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, again setting record highs.

Canada and US cities in the Northwest are all reporting their hottest temperatures on record in a wave that has more heat in store. More than 20 million people are under a heat warning or advisory, from the Canadian border to the Mexican border.

Seattle had topped its all-time record high Sunday when thermometers climbed to 104 degrees -- so hot that even the normally freezing temperatures above 10,000 feet on Mt. Rainier reached 73 degrees.

Portland was at 115 on Monday afternoon, three ahead of Sunday's mark.

It was the third day in a row when the heat was above 107 degrees.

In Multnomah County, home to Portland, the sheriff's office said it has responded to multiple heat-related calls and ambulances were stretched thin due to demand.

"We ask folks to postpone outdoor activities, find appropriate shelter, stay out of the heat until temperatures subside," the office tweeted.

Temperatures are expected to remain scorching in the area until Tuesday. That is when highs are supposed to dip to 93 degrees -- still far above the usual 75 at this time of year.

Lytton, British Columbia, holds the record for the hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada after topping out at 117.5 degrees on Monday. That eclipsed 116 degrees Sunday, when it was hotter in Lytton than in Abu Dhabi.

Record keeping in these areas dates back to the late 1800s, meaning temperatures like these haven't been seen in these regions for more than 100 years, said CNN meteorologist Michael Guy.

The heat wave is a clear example of the climate crisis affecting global weather. Climate change will also make record-breaking heat waves more frequent in the future -- and researchers and policy experts say the Pacific Northwest is not prepared.

By the middle of this century, the number of days that hit 90 degrees in the Pacific Northwest is expected to increase from a current average of around six to 16 a year, according to a study from the Union of Concerned Scientists.

The previous record high for Portland, Oregon was 107 degrees. The city's new record high is now at 116 degrees.

"The high temperature at Portland International Airport reached 116 degrees by around 4 p.m., according to the National Weather Service." - Link
Lytton Unfortunately broke Canada's all time temperature record a third time at 121 degrees before a forest fire came through and destroyed most of the town. This temperature is higher than some southern states have ever recorded like Utah. The records being broken here are not being broken by a little, but in some cases over 10 degrees Celsius. The North west has never seen anything like this.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:55 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:36 am

Thanks! I was looking forward to you weighing in on how you were doing in the heat wave. Is your home without central air conditioning like the majority of Seattle homes?
Yup. No AC. Just fans. Lots of fans…
he/him

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Themis wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:53 am
Lytton Unfortunately broke Canada's all time temperature record a third time at 121 degrees before a forest fire came through and destroyed most of the town. This temperature is higher than some southern states have ever recorded like Utah. The records being broken here are not being broken by a little, but in some cases over 10 degrees Celsius. The North west has never seen anything like this.
To potentially put this into perspective:

The current official record high temperature for Las Vegas is 117 degrees.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Have any Republican politicians yet commented on the evidence of historically unprecedented global heating coming in some areas of the North American continent?

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "no" (apart from maybe mumbling about "thoughts and prayers").

After all, Canada is a country to the north of the US. The fact that a town up there in the north experienced appallingly high temperatures and then effectively burst into flames tells us nothing about what might be expected to happen further south. So nothing to worry about.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap’s not kidding. That town is gone. Just … poof. Gone in minutes. Nearly 122 degrees. In British Columbia. 100 miles into Canada. On the upside, this scared the crap out of me and my wife and we’re getting solar panels installed because ‘no one drop blames itself for the flood’. Well. This drop understands he’s part of the flood, so I’m going to do something about it, even if it’s too late.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:55 pm
Chap’s not kidding. That town is gone. Just … poof. Gone in minutes. Nearly 122 degrees. In British Columbia. 100 miles into Canada. On the upside, this scared the crap out of me and my wife and we’re getting solar panels installed because ‘no one drop blames itself for the flood’. Well. This drop understands he’s part of the flood, so I’m going to do something about it, even if it’s too late.

- Doc
**applause**

We always, always, planned to have solar panels on our house once we settled down for the duration. We never got around to it. We recently discussed it on a drive where we remarked on how many homes are being built with solar. Now mister over here is opposed to it? Huh? :shock:

I admire you both for going solar. Good on ya!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The destruction of Lytton is a real gut punch for me. That stretch of the Fraser River Canyon is beautiful, and I’ve been through it many times on my way to visit family in Alberta. The Trans-Canada Highway no longer goes through the Canyon, but I would rather take the slow, winding old road through the Canyon.

My house isn’t situated well for solar. But I’ll never buy a car powered by an internal combustion engine. And I’m commuting by bus, to be replaced by light rail in 2024. And I’m thinking about a bike for those trips to the board game pub.
he/him