Heat Wave

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Brack
Deacon

Heat Wave

Post by Brack »

The Northwest has been experiencing an intense heat wave. Climate Change may be responsible for this.

Seattle and Portland endure another day of relentless heat gripping the Northwest
(CNN) - The mercury kept climbing Monday in heat-baked Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, again setting record highs.

Canada and US cities in the Northwest are all reporting their hottest temperatures on record in a wave that has more heat in store. More than 20 million people are under a heat warning or advisory, from the Canadian border to the Mexican border.

Seattle had topped its all-time record high Sunday when thermometers climbed to 104 degrees -- so hot that even the normally freezing temperatures above 10,000 feet on Mt. Rainier reached 73 degrees.

Portland was at 115 on Monday afternoon, three ahead of Sunday's mark.

It was the third day in a row when the heat was above 107 degrees.

In Multnomah County, home to Portland, the sheriff's office said it has responded to multiple heat-related calls and ambulances were stretched thin due to demand.

"We ask folks to postpone outdoor activities, find appropriate shelter, stay out of the heat until temperatures subside," the office tweeted.

Temperatures are expected to remain scorching in the area until Tuesday. That is when highs are supposed to dip to 93 degrees -- still far above the usual 75 at this time of year.

Lytton, British Columbia, holds the record for the hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada after topping out at 117.5 degrees on Monday. That eclipsed 116 degrees Sunday, when it was hotter in Lytton than in Abu Dhabi.

Record keeping in these areas dates back to the late 1800s, meaning temperatures like these haven't been seen in these regions for more than 100 years, said CNN meteorologist Michael Guy.

The heat wave is a clear example of the climate crisis affecting global weather. Climate change will also make record-breaking heat waves more frequent in the future -- and researchers and policy experts say the Pacific Northwest is not prepared.

By the middle of this century, the number of days that hit 90 degrees in the Pacific Northwest is expected to increase from a current average of around six to 16 a year, according to a study from the Union of Concerned Scientists.

The previous record high for Portland, Oregon was 107 degrees. The city's new record high is now at 116 degrees.

"The high temperature at Portland International Airport reached 116 degrees by around 4 p.m., according to the National Weather Service." - Link
Moksha
God

Re: Heat Wave

Post by Moksha »

How much longer can Republicans ignore global warming?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:07 am
As long as Mormons ignore Book of Mormon problems? Problems? There ain't no stinkin problems!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:07 am
All Bible believers know that global heating is a wicked anti-Christian lie, because God's Word assures us that he will never allow such a disaster as the total disruption of the climate to take place:

Genesis 8
20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. 21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
So nothing important will change in our environment. All this global heating fake news is a hoax to distract us from the Deep State plot to invade our country with communist LGBTQ perverts from Guatemala.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

That’s the arctic circle in Russia, by the way. I read an article or perhaps a Reddit post about seven years ago from a climatologist who was severely depressed, admittedly so, who explained how we already passed the point of no return regarding carbon PPM, and that the inevitable release of trapped carbon caches in the arctic’s permafrost are going to cause the runaway greenhouse effect scientists have been warning us about for years. There’s really no way to adequately explain the crap show that’s coming down the line, but we’ve now taken the first few steps inside this new global heating era and we’re not adapted to climate changes that happen this rapidly.

For example, here in the US we should have massive investment into solar energy that helps dwelling owners install panels that’ll ease stress on our energy grid - no national strategy nor coordinated action is taking place. We should also have a national floodwaters redistribution grid in place to move excess waters from megastorms ‘there’ to drought stricken areas of the country ‘here’ - no national strategy nor coordinated effort is in place. So and and so forth. It’s genuinely alarming just how psychologically frozen we are on every level that prevents us from acting in our own best interests.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Seattle hit a record high of 108 degrees yesterday. Link
This is one degree higher than the 107 degrees record high for Salt Lake City, which was set back on July 13, 2002 and again recently on June 15th of this year.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

We lived in Tacoma for 8 years and it's so hard to believe the record breaking temps there right now. When we lived in the area, it got hot some days but nothing like this. Not even close! Ironically, at the same time, it's been unusually cool here in CO. Temps in the 60's during the day and below 50 at night. We've actually had to run the heat a bit in early morning. Those are fall temps for this area. :shock: We've had rain like we haven't had in probably 25 years and very thankful for that!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm
We've had rain like we haven't had in probably 25 years and very thankful for that!
I wish you could send some of that rain to California!

There are a number of interesting articles about the Heat Dome effect causing this rare phenomenon (including the one I just linked you to). It is, of course, aggravated by the global warming that Conservatives still refuse to acknowledge, and is likely to become less rare in the future because of it.
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:40 pm
For example, here in the US we should have massive investment into solar energy that helps dwelling owners install panels that’ll ease stress on our energy grid - no national strategy nor coordinated action is taking place. We should also have a national floodwaters redistribution grid in place to move excess waters from megastorms ‘there’ to drought stricken areas of the country ‘here’ - no national strategy nor coordinated effort is in place. So and and so forth. It’s genuinely alarming just how psychologically frozen we are on every level that prevents us from acting in our own best interests.

- Doc
And people like ajax still obstinately and tragically cling to the conclusion that green energy and environmentalism will destroy our economy, when the truth is there is no hope of preserving or saving our economy without it! The potential for job creation and economic growth that would be made inevitable by transitioning to renewable energy sources is nothing short of incredible, as would be the resulting tragedy of failure to do so. One of my biggest worries, as you obviously share, is that we may already be too late in doing so.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm
We've had rain like we haven't had in probably 25 years and very thankful for that!
I wish you could send some of that rain to California!

There are a number of interesting articles about the Heat Dome effect causing this rare phenomenon (including the one I just linked you to). It is, of course, aggravated by the global warming that Conservatives still refuse to acknowledge, and is likely to become less rare in the future because of it.
The link is 404’ing for me.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.