Biden Probable Winner according to FOX News

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Xenophon
God

Re: Biden Probable Winner according to FOX News

Post by Xenophon »

Most morbid meme I've seen so far:

Looks like Trump sure could have used 230k extra elderly voters.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:57 pm
Most morbid meme I've seen so far:

Looks like Trump sure could have used 230k extra elderly voters.
Oh God.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Some fun demographic shifts to consider given the razor thin margins in a few of these states. I'm looking forward to the deep dives in these key states but here are some high level exit poll numbers from the NYTimes:

Veterans shifted pretty dramatically in 2020, only 52% breaking for Trump this year vs 61% in 2016
Evangelicals are down to only 76% vs 81% in 2016
Self-described Independents went to Biden 54% vs 40% for Trump, 2016 was 48% trump and 43% Clinton
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here’s a link to what the AP did this year in lieu of traditional exit polls. https://www.npr.org/2020/11/03/92947837 ... ast-survey

All kinds of interesting stuff in there.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:34 pm
Here’s a link to what the AP did this year in lieu of traditional exit polls. https://www.npr.org/2020/11/03/92947837 ... ast-survey

All kinds of interesting stuff in there.
Took a quick look just now, RI. Thanks! I'll examine it more closely later or something. I'm all about seeking peace in my head today!

Maybe we'll know something more solid by tomorrow. It's out of our individual hands now. All that's left is the counting.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I am shocked and dismayed by the fact that a 55% majority of my fellow whites voted for Trump, and heartbroken about what that reveals about how much latent racial and ethnic bigotry still exists in my country. Make no mistake about it, Trump's success was due in large part to a blatant and unapologetic appeal to that latent bigotry, which the election of Obama, our first Black President led me to hope that we had finally turned the corner on, and were in the process of healing ourselves from. The fact that Trump's hateful attempt to divide us along racial, ethnic and cultural lines worked so well does not bode well for us as a nation. Apparently we still have a long way to go to purge this evil from our society -- much longer than I was willing to believe.

The fact that a majority of those who identify themselves as Christians, especially those belonging to the most fundamentalist and doctrinaire sects, voted for Trump, belies any claims that Christians are inherently more righteous, admirable, loving or free of prejudice than non-Christians. I think it is neither rational nor honest to deny that there are an awful lot of bigots among those who call themselves devout Christians. In fact I would argue that there is a positive correlation between the strength of one's religious devotion (whatever one's religion) and the likelihood of bigotry and intolerance.
Last edited by Gunnar on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:13 pm
Some fun demographic shifts to consider given the razor thin margins in a few of these states. I'm looking forward to the deep dives in these key states but here are some high level exit poll numbers from the NYTimes:

Veterans shifted pretty dramatically in 2020, only 52% breaking for Trump this year vs 61% in 2016
Self-described Independents went to Biden 54% vs 40% for Trump, 2016 was 48% trump and 43% Clinton
Concerning demographics. A friend of mine; an unhinged right-winger although he never mentions Trump and I never ask, has a great deal of contempt for California, and now and again shares dumb memes and observations about how crazy California is (because it's so liberal). He's been laughing about the (apparent) hordes of people leaving California. The way his right-wing sources spin this, is people can't stand the stifling taxes and liberal shenanigans and are leaving to Texas, AZ, NV. Well, given how absurd housing costs are in CA, and especially considering the coronavirus boost to working from home, it only makes sense to get 3-5x the house for your money elsewhere. Is there any reason to believe that as the hordes of liberals are freed from dense cities and relocate to red states and work from home where it's cheaper, that a gradual blue swamp will fill the lands everywhere?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:24 am
Xenophon wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Concerning demographics. A friend of mine; an unhinged right-winger although he never mentions Trump and I never ask, has a great deal of contempt for California, and now and again shares dumb memes and observations about how crazy California is (because it's so liberal). He's been laughing about the (apparent) hordes of people leaving California. The way his right-wing sources spin this, is people can't stand the stifling taxes and liberal shenanigans and are leaving to Texas, AZ, NV. Well, given how absurd housing costs are in CA, and especially considering the coronavirus boost to working from home, it only makes sense to get 3-5x the house for your money elsewhere. Is there any reason to believe that as the hordes of liberals are freed from dense cities and relocate to red states and work from home where it's cheaper, that a gradual blue swamp will fill the lands everywhere?
Yup. We’re colonizing red states.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I am shocked and dismayed by the fact that a 55% majority of my fellow whites voted for Trump, and heartbroken about what that reveals about how much latent racial and ethnic bigotry still exists in my country
Are you sure that's what it's about? Trump has successfully "united the right", I'd say. A very large swath of Republicans are simply fiscal republicans. The problem is, fiscal republicans don't have the numbers to reach their objectives. To get the numbers, you need a president who is king of publicity stunts to roundup all the deadbeat whites who aren't better served by the policies of their cousins, but are easily enough lied to. He simply learned to pander to various underdog groups and at least on paper stand for their cause, and blow smoke on Twitter or during campaign speeches.

It's hard to believe that fiscal republicans are so worried about taxes that they will look the other way not just on the racism, but unprecedented assault on science and truth. But I don't think you can say that looking the other way amounts to full participation.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:33 am
Are you sure that's what it's about? Trump has successfully "united the right", I'd say. A very large swath of Republicans are simply fiscal republicans. The problem is, fiscal republicans don't have the numbers to reach their objectives. To get the numbers, you need a president who is king of publicity stunts to roundup all the deadbeat whites who aren't better served by the policies of their cousins, but are easily enough lied to. He simply learned to pander to various underdog groups and at least on paper stand for their cause, and blow smoke on Twitter or during campaign speeches.

It's hard to believe that fiscal republicans are so worried about taxes that they will look the other way not just on the racism, but unprecedented assault on science and truth. But I don't think you can say that looking the other way amounts to full participation.
I don't think that's all that it is about, but I still think it is a dismayingly large part of it.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.