Vogel's new book on Abraham

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Vogel's new book on Abraham

Post by Philo Sofee »

I truly am looking forward to reading your book Dan. Thank you for writing it. Too bad you didn't get John Gee to endorse it on the back cover, that would have made it sell by the millions.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So this is what you've been doing the last few years. I have been wondering as you kinda went silent. Did Metcalfe help you with any of it or contribute anything? I have waited for him to publish for decades, and he never has. He is a mountain of evidence (and man....LOL!).

I truly do hope you got the snout issue in there since it's a quite alarming discovery for apologists, no doubt. But I know how meticulous you are, so this is gonna be great to read! I think you were very wise waiting until the church brought out the Book of Abraham in the Joseph Smith Papers project. It's his own materials, it just can't get better than that. And the witnesses, man the way apologists have cheated with the witnesses to the papyri I hope you crucify them sideways with it all. Anyway, this is exciting!

I actually do hope you mentioned Shulem asking for literally the last TEN YEARS about the King in Facsimile 3. No one has bothered to ever even answer. It IS significant! In my opinion.
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:26 am
Does your new book examine the evidences that Anubis (a god of Egypt) is missing his snout in Facsimile No. 3 and that the lead plate (not woodcut) shows that an original snout was scraped out and the person was reformed to suit Smith's revelation of a slave?

Ugh, that was a big question. What's the answer?
No, I deal mostly with what are called the Kirtland Egyptian Papers. I only deal a little with Egyptology.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

dan vogel wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:48 am
No, I deal mostly with what are called the Kirtland Egyptian Papers. I only deal a little with Egyptology.

Then you have seriously dropped the ball.

I can't begin to say how disappointed I am.

:?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Buying it and cannot wait to read.
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:53 am

Then you have seriously dropped the ball.

I can't begin to say how disappointed I am.

:?
I'm mostly interested in historical issues surrounding Joseph Smith's production of the text, particularly its chronology. Understanding the documents and the order of events destroys Nibley/Gee/Muhlestein reverse-translation theory.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

dan vogel wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:22 am
I'm mostly interested in historical issues surrounding Joseph Smith's production of the text, particularly its chronology. Understanding the documents and the order of events destroys Nibley/Gee/Muhlestein reverse-translation theory.

Well, then, you are doing what your passion leads you to do. I'm sure there are significant contributions in your work. I for one will want to see what you've produced. I know how it is. I've spent countless hours, day and night, exploring and pondering those curious documents.

That is something we have in common.

:)
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I will be buying this and devouring it. Congratulations Dan Vogel on what I am sure will be yet another great book exposing Mormon apologetic weaknesses.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dan,

Do you have an opinion of when the doodling on the paper backing of the original papyrus vignette of Facsimile No. 1 was drawn and who drew it? I'm now convinced that it happened in Nauvoo. Is there reason to believe otherwise?

I've been discussing this in the Shout Out to Shulem! thread. I've also raised up the idea that Smith got information from the Masons regarding Anubis.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

dan vogel wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:22 am

I can appreciate that. It's vitally important that in the process of of explaining how the Kirtland Papers were developed and in what order and by who, it's critical to show that those involved LOVED that work and that it was SACRED in every respect. Those who produced it did so because they felt moved by the Holy Spirit and had every confidence they were working in a spirit of revelation with Joseph Smith leading the way.

I hope you expressed those things in your work rather than just an academic explanation of piecing together the collection.

Also, the Kirtland Papers were considered so sacred that President Willard Richards took personal responsibility in bringing them back west in his luggage, wherein they would be kept secure in the vault of the First Presidency.
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

Dan
I will definitely read your new book- i applaud you for being the most thorough historian on things Mormon!

Can you tell us who the "bad "guys are in your book so we can await a hit piece on you from Interpreter?

k