Peterson and faith - No Scholarship, just truthiness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Peterson and faith - No Scholarship, just truthiness

Post by _Mercury »

d like to speak with you today about some of the evidences for the Book of Mormon. I think the primary evidence for the Book of Mormon will always be what it always has been, namely the spiritual witness that people receive when they pray sincerely and in faith about the Book of Mormon. But there are other things that can be said about it, and I'd like to talk about some of the more recent evidences and interesting scholarly developments on the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon, it seems to me also, is one of the chief evidences of the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith, perhaps with the temple. There is a great deal that is happening with Book of Mormon studies right now that I think is of interest, or should be of interest, to members of the Church and those investigating the Church.

This first paragraph on Peterson's "evidence" for the Book of Mormon contains a striking admission. The strongest evidence he proposes for teh Book of Mormon is, get ready for it, "because he says so".

I have spoken at length on Truthiness a year or more ago.

Essentially peterson believes that praying to a nonexistant god is good enough evidence for things countered by simple historical documentation and clear character issues with the original "witnesses". Supposed Spiritual eyes aside, what if anything does this prove?

If I were to say that the Satanic Bible is a correct document because I prayed to satan and I recieved a witness, what if anything does this prove?

Yes this is something that has been hashed over many times but I still cannot see why this man is taken seriously as an academic. What, if anything does this display of truthiness teach us besides the laughable assertion that a con man and his cronies were telling the truth and therefore you too should consider the Book of Mormon a correct account of the american continent and its history?

Dannyboy, your a shill for MormonCorp.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_rcrocket

Re: Peterson and faith - No Scholarship, just truthiness

Post by _rcrocket »

VegasRefugee wrote:Dannyboy, your a shill for MormonCorp.

I think that the word is "you're," which is a contraction of "you" and "are."

A common error.

rcrocket
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

rcrocket wrote:

A common error.

rcrocket

Wow, no response. Wassamatter? pissed that you have no integrity or character?
Lost in time
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

rcrocket wrote:

A common error.

rcrocket

Sorry, I hit the submit key from the link for Fortigum's post, just to see what it would do http://www.mormondiscussions.com/discuss/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=23366
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Gotcha moksha.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Vegas,

Can you provide a link to Peterson's article?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

vegas

Post by _Gazelam »

Did you ever get anyone to pray about the Book of Mormon on your mision? I did, and each of them who actually tried to pray got an answer.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Did you ever get anyone to pray about the Book of Mormon on your mision? I did, and each of them who actually tried to pray got an answer.

I got two people to pray about it. One got the "Right" answer, joined (and became inactive in a couple of months), the other got a "no" answer.

My sister also got a "no" answer. I got a "yes" answer.

The FLDSers who practice polygamy have testimonies of that. I just finished reading a book about Joseph Smith's youngest son David, and learned about the strong testimony he and his brother Joseph had of the RLDS.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: vegas

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:Did you ever get anyone to pray about the Book of Mormon on your mision? I did, and each of them who actually tried to pray got an answer.

You are assuming this is a proper test of truth.

Its not.

Its a function of truthiness. Look it up.
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

beastie wrote:Vegas,

Can you provide a link to Peterson's article?

Its off his main site. Click on evidences for the Book of Mormon
Lost in time