New Faith-Based Threads Rule = Mormon NON-Discussions Board

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

New Faith-Based Threads Rule = Mormon NON-Discussions Board

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

There is a new feature in the Celestial Kingdom which I feel is antithetical to the purpose of this board. Take notice of the new sticky announcing the creation of "Faith Based" threads. "Faith Based" threads may now be made in the Celestial forum which will not allow for contradictory views. Follows a direct quote culled from the sticky atop this forum page:

If you would like to instigate a Faith Based thread, please indicate that the thread is Faith Based in the thread title.

If you indicate this, then the thread is off limits as far as being challenged or derailed. [bold mine]

Never did I imagine opposing views wouldn't be allowed on this board! We can all agree that it is sometimes frustrating when threads become derailed. And, yes, the Celestial forum should be free of personal attack and vulgarity, but to make challenging views "off-limits"? That effectively quashes discussion! If one wants nothing more than a back-patting session, those can be found on other boards. Like MADB.

I would like to strongly voice my opposition to the new "Faith Based" board rule. It is in direct opposition to the stated purposes of this board.

Kimberly Ann
_Infymus
_Emeritus

Post by _Infymus »

This should make Nehor and Bourne ecstatic. They can now sit and write happy messages about how everything is wonderful and perfect in their closed-in world of the Cult.

MDB started as a refuge for those kicked out of FAIR/MAD. On the Mormon Curtain I purposefully do not direct anyone to this site who is looking to recover from Mormonism. Look at this place, mods who are all Mormon, Lapdog Cult members who attack anyone who says anything contradictory about their Cult - and they do so by calling names and making kindergarten statements such as "Have your mommy change your diaper", etc, etc.

No, I think it's par for the course here on MDB. It is moving more and more to a pro-Mormon site to discuss only Mormonism. I'm pretty sure the Cult members here (including the Moderators) will move this site into another MAD board.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Infymus wrote:This should make Nehor and Bourne ecstatic. They can now sit and write happy messages about how everything is wonderful and perfect in their closed-in world of the Cult.

MDB started as a refuge for those kicked out of FAIR/MAD. On the Mormon Curtain I purposefully do not direct anyone to this site who is looking to recover from Mormonism. Look at this place, mods who are all Mormon, Lapdog Cult members who attack anyone who says anything contradictory about their Cult - and they do so by calling names and making kindergarten statements such as "Have your mommy change your diaper", etc, etc.

No, I think it's par for the course here on MDB. It is moving more and more to a pro-Mormon site to discuss only Mormonism. I'm pretty sure the Cult members here (including the Moderators) will move this site into another MAD board.

Huh?

I totally disagree with your characterization of the direction of this board. It has and is always a place of discussion. Everyone has a chance to voice the opinion they hold, Mormon or not. If you want an all-exmo/nomo board RFM is willing to provide that. Good luck with THAT.

The flux inherent here at MDB is what makes it worthwhile. in my opinion I think we do need to clarify the new rule or get rid of it but it is not the end of the board. last time I checked your board was not nearly as busy as Shady Acres, so possibly you could take some notes on how to run a message board.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Yoda

Re: New Faith-Based Threads Rule = Mormon NON-Discussions Bo

Post by _Yoda »

KimberlyAnn wrote:There is a new feature in the Celestial Kingdom which I feel is antithetical to the purpose of this board. Take notice of the new sticky announcing the creation of "Faith Based" threads. "Faith Based" threads may now be made in the Celestial forum which will not allow for contradictory views. Follows a direct quote culled from the sticky atop this forum page:

If you would like to instigate a Faith Based thread, please indicate that the thread is Faith Based in the thread title.

If you indicate this, then the thread is off limits as far as being challenged or derailed. [bold mine]

Never did I imagine opposing views wouldn't be allowed on this board! We can all agree that it is sometimes frustrating when threads become derailed. And, yes, the Celestial forum should be free of personal attack and vulgarity, but to make challenging views "off-limits"? That effectively quashes discussion! If one wants nothing more than a back-patting session, those can be found on other boards. Like MADB.

I would like to strongly voice my opposition to the new "Faith Based" board rule. It is in direct opposition to the stated purposes of this board.

Kimberly Ann

OK, KA, I'm sorry, but you're creating a straw man here.

I'm not talking about turning the whole Celestial Forum into a back patting section, and I'm not advocating challenging views being off limits.

The only place where the Faith Based rules apply is IF a thread originator places "Faith Based" in the title of a thread in Celestial!

This is NOT, I repeat NOT, a blanket policy for the entire Celestial Forum.

If you don't want a faith based thread, don't create one. If you don't like the idea of participation in a Faith Based thread, then don't participate in one. If someone creates a Faith Based thread and on one participates, guess what happens? It dies on the vine. It moves down the board as other threads are created and dies in its' own right, anyway.

So far, no one has even created a Faith Based thread. This experiment may be a failure before it starts. All we were trying to do was create an option for those who desired it. That's it. This is not some covert plan to change the direction of the board.

Shades, please speak up here if I am stating things out of line.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

KimberlyAnn wrote:There is a new feature in the Celestial Kingdom which I feel is antithetical to the purpose of this board. . . Never did I imagine opposing views wouldn't be allowed on this board!

Allow me to clarify: Opposing views are just as allowable now as they ever were. The only difference is that a thread starter may now set down certain parameters for his/her own thread.

In other words, if someone posts his or her testimony of Christ or the divine calling of Joseph Smith, you can't challenge that testimony in the thread itself. You are perfectly free to challenge everything he or she said, but you'll merely have to start a new thread about it in the Terrestrial Forum is all. Title it something like, "Challenge to ___'s testimony in the Celestial Forum" or something like that.

So you're still free to say whatever you want. Thread starters in the Celestial Forum are simply allowed a little more leeway to determine the venue is all.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

liz3564 wrote:OK, KA, I'm sorry, but you're creating a straw man here.

No, I'm not. I quoted you, Liz, and included the caveat that the words "Faith Based" would need to be included in the thread. I never claimed the entire Celestial Forum would be free from dissenting views. Only "Faith Based" threads. No straw man there.

On a board where we don't have an ignore feature because it effectively silences people and where we may not have smilies because they're annoying, I find it incredibly odd that a rule allowing posters to effectively ban opposing views from their threads would be acceptable.

KA
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

KimberlyAnn wrote:
liz3564 wrote:OK, KA, I'm sorry, but you're creating a straw man here.

No, I'm not. I quoted you, Liz, and included the caveat that the words "Faith Based" would need to be included in the thread. I never claimed the entire Celestial Forum would be free from dissenting views. Only "Faith Based" threads. No straw man there.

On a board where we don't have an ignore feature because it effectively silences people and where we may not have smilies because they're annoying, I find it incredibly odd that a rule allowing posters to effectively ban opposing views from their threads would be acceptable.

KA

Does Shades' clarification help things? You can still oppose someone's view. The only difference in the case of a Faith Based thread is that you would create a new thread to do it. It wouldn't be any different than what happens when threads are sometimes split now.
Last edited by _Yoda on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Dr. Shades wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:There is a new feature in the Celestial Kingdom which I feel is antithetical to the purpose of this board. . . Never did I imagine opposing views wouldn't be allowed on this board!

Allow me to clarify: Opposing views are just as allowable now as they ever were. The only difference is that a thread starter may now set down certain parameters for his/her own thread.

In other words, if someone posts his or her testimony of Christ or the divine calling of Joseph Smith, you can't challenge that testimony in the thread itself. You are perfectly free to challenge everything he or she said, but you'll merely have to start a new thread about it in the Terrestrial Forum is all. Title it something like, "Challenge to ___'s testimony in the Celestial Forum" or something like that.

So you're still free to say whatever you want. Thread starters in the Celestial Forum are simply allowed a little more leeway to determine the venue is all.

OK. So what you're saying is that folks are now free to bear their testimonies unhindered in the Celestial forum and that if anyone wants to disagree with them, a NEW thread must be started in the Terrestrial forum? That is cumbersome and utterly unnecessary in my opinion.

Posters may block challenging views from their own threads. Sorry, but I find the new rule absurd.

KA
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

liz3564 wrote:Does Shades' clarification help things?

No.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

Infymus wrote:This should make Nehor and Bourne ecstatic. They can now sit and write happy messages about how everything is wonderful and perfect in their closed-in world of the Cult.

Umm, I think only Liz is still Mormon...where did you get that all the mods are Mormon??
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo