Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Gunnar »

47% of Trump supporters and 41% of Republicans in general are anti-vaxxers. I wonder what percentage of them are anti-vaxxers because of Trump and what percentage of them would have been anti-vaxxers even without Trump. Anti-vax was a growing movement among some extremist groups, both right wing and left wing, even before Trump, and I'm sure that at least some who were already anti-vaxxers were attracted to Trump, in part, because they thought Trump also endorsed that view, and may be more passionately anti-vax than they are pro-Trump, and would even abandon Trump if they found that he encouraged getting vaccinated.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I'm glad that almost of us here reporting on their covid-19 vaccine experiences have suffered only mild symptoms so far. All of my household will be fully vaccinated by mid April. Half of us already are, including being 2 weeks past our second dose (or, in my case, only 2 days short of that).
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Brack wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:17 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:52 pm

Fabulous! How'd you do re: side effects, Bracki?

I have been having a bit of a sore arm and shoulder along with a mild headache. Other than that, I am doing pretty good.
Oh that's not too bad. You can hack it I am sure!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 pm
I'm glad that almost of us here reporting on their covid-19 vaccine experiences have suffered only mild symptoms so far. All of my household will be fully vaccinated by mid April. Half of us already are, including being 2 weeks past our second dose (or, in my case, only 2 days short of that).
I really appreciate hearing everyone's story about their vaccine experiences. I've only heard 2 "kicked my ass" accounts in real life and both were Moderna on the second shot. Not so here! Looks like everyone is doing just fine! :)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:41 pm
47% of Trump supporters and 41% of Republicans in general are anti-vaxxers. I wonder what percentage of them are anti-vaxxers because of Trump and what percentage of them would have been anti-vaxxers even without Trump. Anti-vax was a growing movement among some extremist groups, both right wing and left wing, even before Trump, and I'm sure that at least some who were already anti-vaxxers were attracted to Trump, in part, because they thought Trump also endorsed that view, and may be more passionately anti-vax than they are pro-Trump, and would even abandon Trump if they found that he encouraged getting vaccinated.
It's really hard to tell since Trump himself got the vaccine before leaving D.C. and that's been publicized. He recently made a pro-vax statement but he didn't really put his back into it like he could have.

I might copy some of the posts I'm seeing on our health department Facebook page so you guys can see what is being shoved in my face day after day and often multiple times a day.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Same two guys every single blessed day. Bear with me. I'm just gonna slap it here. If you want to use the links, just copy and paste them. There's a zillion of these under every single post the CDPHE makes so I'll just post a few. Some folks have resorted to verbally abusing these guys now. All they're doing is spamming the hell out of the Facebook page.

Experimental vaccines require informed consent. Information central to informed consent is being massively censored, to the extent that true informed consent is impossible. CDPHE is actually breaking international, federal and state laws that clearly mandate informed consent on all experimental drugs.
https://www.anhinternational.org/.../in ... consent-is.../
Informed consent - is this fundamental right being respected?
ANHINTERNATIONAL.ORG
Informed consent - is this fundamental right being respected?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1122833/
Selling sickness: the pharmaceutical industry and disease mongering
NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Selling sickness: the pharmaceutical industry and disease mongering
Here's the actual working link to the above: https://www.anhinternational.org/news/i ... respected/ It's like these people never got a shot or RX ever in their lives. What did they do with the paperwork they were given? Shove it under the front seat of the car? Idiots.
https://childrenshealthdefense.org/.../scientists.../...
12 Prominent Scientists and Doctors to EU Regulators: Address ‘Urgent’ Safety Concerns or Halt COVID Vaccines • Children's Health Defense
CHILDRENSHEALTHDEFENSE.ORG
12 Prominent Scientists and Doctors to EU Regulators: Address ‘Urgent’ Safety Concerns or Halt COVID Vaccines • Children's Health Defense

This one gets me every time. Mercola is a well known QUACK.
https://articles.mercola.com/.../mrna-vaccine-gene...
Must-Know information About the COVID-19 Vaccines
ARTICLES.MERCOLA.COM
Must-Know information About the COVID-19 Vaccines

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Here's an excerpt from damned Mercola's damned wiki. He's a damned crackpot. I swear, these people who post his crap couldn't find their ass with both hands if their hands were made of iron and their ass was a magnet.
Views and controversy
Mercola operates Mercola.com, which he has described as the most popular alternative-health website on the internet.[4] Aside from the main site, it also hosts various blog subsites, like Healthy Pets and Peak Fitness. Traffic counting from Quantcast shows the site receives about 1.9 million novel visitors per month, each returning almost ten times each month; the number of views are roughly equal to those received by the National Institutes of Health.[2] The site and his company, Mercola LLC, brought in roughly $7 million in 2010 through the sale of a variety of alternative medicine treatments and dietary supplements.[2] The site promotes a number of disproven health ideas, including the notion that homeopathy can treat autism, and that vaccinations have hidden detriments to human health.[2] An article in BusinessWeek criticized his website as using aggressive direct-marketing tactics, writing:[4]

Mercola gives the lie to the notion that holistic practitioners tend to be so absorbed in treating patients that they aren't effective businesspeople. While Mercola on his site seeks to identify with this image by distinguishing himself from "all the greed-motivated hype out there in health-care land", he is a master promoter, using every trick of traditional and Internet direct marketing to grow his business ... He is selling health-care products and services, and is calling upon an unfortunate tradition made famous by the old-time snake oil salesmen of the 1800s.

Phyllis Entis, a microbiologist and food safety expert, highlighted Mercola.com as an example of websites "likely to mislead consumers by offering one-sided, incomplete, inaccurate, or misleading information."[19]

In 2016, Mercola agreed to pay up to $5.3 million restitution after federal regulators complained that he made false claims about tanning beds that he sold.[20]

Vaccinations
Mercola has been highly critical of vaccines and vaccination policy, claiming that too many vaccines are given too soon during infancy. He hosts anti-vaccination activists on his website, advocates other measures rather than vaccination in many cases such as using vitamin D rather than a flu shot despite the data not being conclusive[10][21] and strongly criticizes influenza vaccines. Mercola is viewed by many as an anti-vaccine propagandist.[22] As of 2019, he has donated at least $4 million to anti-vaccine groups though his Natural Health Research Foundation, including more than $2.9 million to the anti-vaccination group the National Vaccine Information Center, amounting to about 40 percent of that organization's funding.[10] He co-funded an anti-vaccination ad in Times Square in 2011.[22]

Mercola has asserted that thimerosal, a vaccine preservative, is harmful due to its mercury content.[23] Thimerosal has been removed from most vaccines given to young children in the U.S., with no effect on rates of autism diagnosis.[24][25] Extensive evidence has accumulated since 1999 showing that this preservative is safe,[26] with the World Health Organization stating in 2006 that "there is no evidence of toxicity in infants, children or adults exposed to thimerosal in vaccines."[26][27]

COVID-19
See also: Misinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic
In 2020, Mercola was one of the partners in a website called "Stop Covid Cold" offering advice to the public on preventing and treating Covid-19 with alternative remedies. The website includes links to Mercola's online store and puts a strong emphasis on vitamin D supplements, despite a lack of scientific evidence pointing to the effectiveness of such a treatment.[28][29]

Mercola claimed that inhaling 0.5-3% hydrogen peroxide solution using a nebulizer could prevent or cure COVID-19.[30][31] A tweet from Mercola advertising this method was removed from Twitter on April 15, 2020, for violating the platform rules,[31] but he continued to make these claims on other platforms, including during a speech at a major conference of anti-vaccination activists in October.[28]

Other views
Other controversial views Mercola supports include:

Dietary recommendations on food consumption that often put him at odds with mainstream dietary advice.[19]
Advocacy on the labeling and health of genetically modified food,[32] as well as for their elimination entirely from the market.[citation needed]
Claims that microwaving food alters its chemistry,[2] despite consensus that microwaving food does not adversely affect nutrient content compared to conventionally prepared food.[33][34][35][36]
Opposition to homogenization, claiming that homogenized milk has little nutritional value and contributes to a variety of negative health effects,[37] despite scientists considering that belief "tenuous and implausible",[38] stating "Experimental evidence has failed to substantiate, and in many cases has refuted, the xanthine oxidase/plasmalogen depletion hypothesis."[39]
Questioning whether HIV is the cause of AIDS, claiming manifestations of AIDS (including opportunistic infections and death) may be the result of "psychological stress" brought on by the belief that HIV is harmful.[citation needed] The scientific community considers the evidence that HIV causes AIDS conclusive.[40][41][42][43] Mercola.com has also featured positive presentations of the claims of AIDS denialists, a fringe group which denies the role of HIV in causing AIDS.[2]
Claiming cancer risks arise from mobile phone radiation,[44] which is pseudoscientific.[45]
Claims that many commercial brands of sunscreen increase, rather than decrease, the likelihood of contracting skin cancer with high UV exposure, and instead advocating the use of natural sunscreens, some of which he markets on his website.[2] This view is not held by mainstream medical science; in 2011, the National Toxicology Program stated that "Protection against photodamage by use of broad-spectrum sunscreens is well-documented as an effective means of reducing total lifetime UV dose and, thereby, preventing or ameliorating the effects of UV radiation on both the appearance and biomechanical properties of the skin."[46]

FDA warning letters
For numerous dietary supplement and device products over some 16 years during the 21st century, Mercola was warned by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for falsely advertising products approved to "mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure" various diseases, including as examples: 1) in 2005, Living Fuel RX(TM) and Coconut Oil Products,[47] in 2006, Optimal Wellness Center chlorella and coconut oil,[48] and in 2011, Meditherm Med2000 Infrared camera, which had no approved evidence for use as a diagnostic or therapeutic device.[49]

During the 2020-2021 COVID-19 pandemic, Mercola, his company, and social media site were warned again by the FDA for falsely advertising the efficacy of high doses of vitamin C, vitamin D3, quercetin, and pterostilbene products to "mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure" COVID-19 disease.[50]

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:50 pm
Here's an excerpt from stupid Mercola's stupid wiki. He's a stupid crackpot. I swear, these people who post his Crap couldn't find their ass with both hands if their hands were made of iron and their ass was a magnet.
Views and controversy . . .
Great and timely information, Jersey Girl, that cannot be over emphasized. It is a tragedy that so many people are determinedly and willfully ignorant of it.

While it is certainly true that vitamin C and D deficiencies can make people more susceptible to serious diseases like corona virus, medical and nutrition professionals agree that as long as we are getting our adequate daily requirement of those vitamins, getting much more than our daily requirement is not, by itself, likely to further improve our chances of avoiding or recovering from corona virus. Besides that, mega doses of vitamin D is toxic and can lead to, among other things, kidney stones. I have read, though, that up to 80% of people with severe corona virus symptoms are deficient in vitamin D. This very likely contributes to the severity of their illness. Thus it is probably true that corona virus victims with a real vitamin D deficiency would be helped by taking a vitamin D supplement. I, myself, was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency not too long ago, and my doctor prescribed a vitamin D supplement to be taken once a week for 12 weeks. I have two doses left. I hope it will prove to be enough, and no more than just enough. I would hate to suffer another bout of kidney stones! Horrors! :shock:
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Mercola is a dangerous nutter. I encountered reference to him on a health support forum which I still basically work on (was invited to be a community leader--declined) to support others.

Here's his website. Just click on this and look all the way over to the right at the top. See where it says "Shop"? Yeah that. :roll:

https://www.mercola.com/

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:24 am
Mercola is a dangerous nutter. I encountered reference to him on a health support forum which I still basically work on (was invited to be a community leader--declined) to support others.

Here's his website. Just click on this and look all the way over to the right at the top. See where it says "Shop"? Yeah that. :roll:

https://www.mercola.com/

Yeah, well, at the bottom of the page there is a box that says:

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

If the products he is selling are not intended to do any of that, what on earth are they for? Oh, I get it: they are intended to make Mercola rich on the money of ignorant and worried people.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.