DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

Post by _harmony »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I have strong reason to believe, though I cannot prove it beyond doubt, that financial gain has been a principal motivation for Ed Decker.

Daniel Peterson wrote:Incidentally, I'd be interested to know where I accused Christian ministries of greed.

Are you saying Ed Decker's ministry isn't Christian? Or are you saying that Saints Alive isn't a ministry? Does "financial gain" equal "greed"?
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Interesting post, as always, Mr. Scratch. I have become something of a fan of your work, and it motivated me to register here. I am sure I speak for many other unregistered lurkers, when I say that your work is appreciated. I have a handful of friends who like to bring your latest revelations to my attention, and I oblige them when I can beat them to the punch. Who knows how many untold others are out there cheering you on?

It was high time that someone brought the hypocrisy of the Mopologetic enterprise down a notch or two. Obviously, the reason why professional apologists come here to "correct" you is because you threaten the status quo. Mopologists want the freedom to craft their image and the beliefs of Mormonism with impunity, while truth, history, and the average Chapel Mormon suffer.

One of the meatier discoveries you have brought forward is the high finance behind Mopologetics. Clearly, Mopologetics have become a high priority for the Brethren as they have abandoned speaking authoritatively on doctrine in favor of running their multi-billion dollar corporation. So now they recruit wealthy members to fund the Mopologetic enterprise and provide the mechanisms whereby this may be achieved.

What does it matter if Professor P. or Hamblin make lots of cash? They get the thrill of holding forth with authority on a variety of topics that the Brethren won't touch with a ten cubit pole. They are the LDS Church's first doctors of the faith, who are succeeding in routinizing the last bits of prophetic charisma the organization has left over from its beginnings in a religious scam. That is undoubtedly reward enough for them.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Calculus Crusader
_Emeritus

Post by _Calculus Crusader »

The founding charlatan of Dr. Peterson's religion scammed local dupes out of their money by claiming he could find buried treasure. He also tried to sell the Book of Mormon copyright. Were he alive today (instead of awaiting his punishment), no doubt Holy Joe would be selling "miracle" water with Peter Popoff.
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

(I lost access to my Milesius account, so I had to retrieve this one from the mothballs.)
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:Interesting post, as always, Mr. Scratch. I have become something of a fan of your work, and it motivated me to register here. I am sure I speak for many other unregistered lurkers, when I say that your work is appreciated. I have a handful of friends who like to bring your latest revelations to my attention, and I oblige them when I can beat them to the punch. Who knows how many untold others are out there cheering you on?

It was high time that someone brought the hypocrisy of the Mopologetic enterprise down a notch or two. Obviously, the reason why professional apologists come here to "correct" you is because you threaten the status quo. Mopologists want the freedom to craft their image and the beliefs of Mormonism with impunity, while truth, history, and the average Chapel Mormon suffer.

One of the meatier discoveries you have brought forward is the high finance behind Mopologetics. Clearly, Mopologetics have become a high priority for the Brethren as they have abandoned speaking authoritatively on doctrine in favor of running their multi-billion dollar corporation. So now they recruit wealthy members to fund the Mopologetic enterprise and provide the mechanisms whereby this may be achieved.

What does it matter if Professor P. or Hamblin make lots of cash? They get the thrill of holding forth with authority on a variety of topics that the Brethren won't touch with a ten cubit pole. They are the LDS Church's first doctors of the faith, who are succeeding in routinizing the last bits of prophetic charisma the organization has left over from its beginnings in a religious scam. That is undoubtedly reward enough for them.

Dear Kishkumen---

Please allow me to extend a hearty welcome to you. I appreciate your compliments, and your insight. I, too, found the strange web of Mopologetic financing to be absolutely compelling, and arcane. Who knows what other discoveries will come forth? We can only wait and see.

In any case, welcome to MDB!
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Calculus Crusader wrote:The founding charlatan of Dr. Peterson's religion scammed local dupes out of their money by claiming he could find buried treasure. He also tried to sell the Book of Mormon copyright. Were he alive today (instead of awaiting his punishment), no doubt Holy Joe would be selling "miracle" water with Peter Popoff.

I couldn't have said it better, CC. I think it is patently obvious to most people not raised inside Mormonism that charlatanry is by far and away the best explanation for Smith. I feel some sympathy for those who, like the Mopologists, are fighting for the scraps of detritus they call Gospel Truth. It is nothing less than a long con that took on a life of its own. The Smiths were down on their luck and turned to grifting.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Mister Scratch wrote:Dear Kishkumen---

Please allow me to extend a hearty welcome to you. I appreciate your compliments, and your insight. I, too, found the strange web of Mopologetic financing to be absolutely compelling, and arcane. Who knows what other discoveries will come forth? We can only wait and see.

In any case, welcome to MDB!

Thank you for the welcome, Mister Scratch. I anxiously await the further light you will no doubt shed on the twilight world of Mopologetics.

It is important to remember, in this regard, that Mormonism started as a conspiracy. Joe the money digger conspired with his compatriots to bilk people out of money, livestock, etc. By starting a church he merely set his sights higher. And boy did it pay off! I think Mopologetics can't help but carry the legacy of Mormonism's founder. Secrecy, conspiracy, deceit: it's all there!
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote: I anxiously await the further light you will no doubt shed on the twilight world of Mopologetics.

Well, I continue to wait for FARMS to post the online version of the latest Review. I refuse to donate any money to them, naturally, so I am forced to wait for the cyber version of the text. You would think that, with their huge sums of money, they could pay Matt Roper or somebody to get the thing up online. (Heck, I bet that FAIR slug Allen Wyatt would do it pro bono.)

In the meantime, I suppose I can ruminate on the various reasons why Mopologists hate (and I mean hate) the relatively silly and innocuous critic named Loftes Tryke. I don't want to say too much, but I believe the reaction towards Mr. Tryke is very revealing in terms of what it tells us about the "Mopologetic Collective Unconscious."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Mister Scratch wrote:Well, I continue to wait for FARMS to post the online version of the latest Review. I refuse to donate any money to them, naturally, so I am forced to wait for the cyber version of the text. You would think that, with their huge sums of money, they could pay Matt Roper or somebody to get the thing up online. (Heck, I bet that FAIR slug Allen Wyatt would do it pro bono.)

Doubtless he would. I can just imagine him carelessly allowing the saliva to collect at the corner of his mouth as he lovingly scans each page with his sweaty paws.

Well, as you have pointed out to us, they have to consider God's bottom line in all of this. If they were a charity, then they would simply give it away. Wait...

Mister Scratch wrote:In the meantime, I suppose I can ruminate on the various reasons why Mopologists hate (and I mean hate) the relatively silly and innocuous critic named Loftes Tryke. I don't want to say too much, but I believe the reaction towards Mr. Tryke is very revealing in terms of what it tells us about the "Mopologetic Collective Unconscious."

My short answer to this puzzle is that these Mopologists are bullies. They take a man who is obviously down on his luck (Mr. Tryk, for example) and make him the special focus of their venom, just like the angry meatheads on the football team find a Downs Syndrome kid to torment for their "sport." Amazing how these good doctors of the BYU turn out to be little more sophisticated at heart than that. To add a little more, I think that on some level the Mopologist suffers from the same abuse the critic has, but is as of yet unwilling to face it.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

kish wrote:Well, as you have pointed out to us, they have to consider God's bottom line in all of this. If they were a charity, then they would simply give it away.

One might imagine this to be the case. However, as we know from Kerry Shirts and other apologists, the truth is that apologetic materials are frighteningly expensive. I remember very well from Kerry's documentary of the FAIR conference, his shock over the outrageous prices he was encountering in the bookstore. I actually felt a little bad for the junior and mid-tier apologists who are under the constant pressure of purchasing the latest new book out.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:One might imagine this to be the case. However, as we know from Kerry Shirts and other apologists, the truth is that apologetic materials are frighteningly expensive. I remember very well from Kerry's documentary of the FAIR conference, his shock over the outrageous prices he was encountering in the bookstore. I actually felt a little bad for the junior and mid-tier apologists who are under the constant pressure of purchasing the latest new book out.

Indeed! I was stunned when I saw those exorbitant prices. It must be part of the plan to entrap young nerds with part-time jobs or wealthy parents to fund the habit of Mopologetic purchases.