DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Accuses Christian Ministries of "Greed"

Post by _Scottie »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I can't wait until Scratch or one of his anonymous informants finds the passage where I accuse Christian ministers of failing to use dental floss.

I believe you just said it!!! No take backs!!

EXTRA EXTRA!!! DCP SAYS MINISTERS ALL HAVE BAD BREATH AND GINGIVITIS!!!
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

Dang.

Yet another embarrassing disclosure on my part.

More of the sordid and damning truth about Mopologetics.

Hard to believe that I would admit this publicly.

Very disturbing. Deeply troubling.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Lamanite wrote:The sad part is that I think your agenda driven myopic view of Emma and Polygamy will not shift no matter what.

I count myself most fortunate that your thoughts don't define my reality.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Lamanite wrote:To be sure, this is a "rough patch" for me. It is difficult to comprehend, and understandibly so. And I don't understand because I don't have all the facts. The one fact that is sufficient to allow me to move forward is that Joseph was a Prophet.

This statement is childish in nature. To say that one can state that one does not have all the facts is childish. If one were to say this one would be, as you are, putting the cart before the horse if you can assert that Joseph Smith was a prophet.

The facts overwhelmingly contradict this statement that Joseph Smith was a prophet. As a matter of fact there is much evidence from many angles indicting Joseph Smith as a child molester, bigamist, securities fraud initiator, organized criminal and other nefarious charges. This is not to mention the money digging, out and out fraud, underhanded methods to gain sexual favors from vulnerable people...etc etc etc.

If you accept what real historical evidence gives us instead of ignoring what does not promote your whacked out Space God then you can grow past this isolated laughing stock of a life you have now.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

Fortunately -- unlike you, Lamanite -- Mercury has all of the facts, and a perfect understanding of them to boot. So he's in an excellent position to pronounce on the claims not only of Mormonism but of theism in general, and, for that matter, on the quality and character of your life.

You should listen to him. You should seek his guidance on every question.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Kishkumen wrote:
harmony wrote:And you think you can see the BIG picture, but people who don't agree with you can't? Good to know.

This is yet another fine Mopologetic strategy at work. The picture always extends to eternity when they get into a rough patch, because only there can one place it out of mortal reach. No problem is too big for the scope of the eternal, no answer required the moment it gets there. My guess is that many a liberal Mormon resides in this mental realm, where it all works out and makes sense someday.

This is quite an accurate assessment, and reminds me of the "it's turtles all the way down" argument. All the nonsense somehow has to be rationalised. Peg them with the Adam in the Garden of Eden Missouri and watch the fumbling and spin, or just non-answers. Continental drift becomes possible within a year "in the days of Peleg". The formerly literal becomes non-literal, but within certain boundaries.

The key point is: "It will all work out."

This brings me to the term "fideism":

Fideism is the view that religious belief relies primarily on faith or special revelation, rather than rational inference or observation (see natural theology). The word fideism comes from fides, the Latin word for faith, and literally means "faith-ism."

So faith in the irrational is "faithism", or fideism. If I board an aircraft I have a fairly rational faith that the pilot is licensed, well-trained, experienced if flying a 747, for example, and I can have a strong and reasonable faith that I will arrive safely at my destination.

But Pascal observed:

Who then will blame Christians for not being able to give reasons for their beliefs, since they profess belief in a religion which they cannot explain? They declare, when they expound it to the world, that it is foolishness, stultitiam; and then you complain because they do not prove it! If they proved it, they would not keep their word; it is through their lack of proofs that they show they are not lacking in sense.

Luther wrote:

"All the articles of our Christian faith, which God has revealed to us in His Word, are in presence of reason sheerly impossible, absurd, and false." and "Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has."

Modern apologetics is the attempt to make the absurd sound reasonable, or at least be given some sort of legitimacy. And that's possibly why testimony bearing "Chapel Mormons" mostly have little time for it. When your faith has to be brought into the arena of scientific or academic legitimacy, it simply is no longer faith.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I can't wait until Scratch or one of his anonymous informants finds the passage where I accuse Christian ministers of failing to use dental floss.

Now that will be a true "watershed moment" in the history of Mopologetics!

No, the better one was this:

Daniel Peterson wrote:I regard Calvinism as repulsive, its morality disgusting, and its teaching about God as blasphemous

Who knew you were such a bigot? In any case, what I am really waiting for is the moment when some Christian minister finds out that you were paid $20,000 to act as Chair of FARMS. Gee, do you think that Decker collects a similar fee?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Mister Scratch wrote:No, the better one was this:

Daniel Peterson wrote:I regard Calvinism as repulsive, its morality disgusting, and its teaching about God as blasphemous

Who knew you were such a bigot?

Positively fascinating! Who would suppose that a champion of the God who commanded Joseph Smith to take teenage brides from the child wards in his care, and whose second latter-day prophet advocated execution as a form of penance would find Calvinism repulsive? Truly, de gustibus non est disputandum. I personally find neither one particularly appealing, but repulsive? Quite colorful language indeed!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Ray A wrote:Modern apologetics is the attempt to make the absurd sound reasonable, or at least be given some sort of legitimacy. And that's possibly why testimony bearing "Chapel Mormons" mostly have little time for it. When your faith has to be brought into the arena of scientific or academic legitimacy, it simply is no longer faith.

I have often thought that it was simply a shame that the lovable rogue Joseph Smith had to be taken so seriously. He obviously spun such wonderful yarns, truly fit to stand next to the great fables of the ages. Unfortunately, someone thought it was a good idea to take that rough-hewn, poetic imagination and submit it to reality. In the deeper past, people would have been either too polite or too ignorant to do it. Now they are so self-righteous that they mirthlessly demand the impossible of their shamans.

The interesting thing is that the apologetic set has taken this up as though it were a brilliant idea.
_christopher
_Emeritus

Post by _christopher »

Perhaps DCP's accusation of greed amongst Christian ministries goes back to his lifelong training in the temple (pre 1990) where the Protestant minister was present and used as Satan's minion for the money?

" LUCIFER: If you will preach your orthodox religion to these people, and convert them, I will pay you well. "

Chris <><
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.