Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Moksha »

Religious huckster who preached "Jesus was the true vaccine" went ahead and got the shot.

https://www.comicsands.com/televangelis ... 93166.html
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:47 am
It is now about 18 hours since my first Pfizer injection.

No notable symptoms apart from a mild ache at the injection site, where there is neither swelling nor redness, nor indeed any visible evidence that skin penetration has recently taken place.

I did my morning workout without problems of any kind.
Well, two days after the injection and there is now no discomfort at all in the arm. I feel completely normal. I look forward to my follow-up dose in a few weeks.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I’m sitting in observation after my dose of Moderna. The whole drive-through suite feels like a party! Everyone from the nurses to the parking lot folks is in a happy, festive mood. As I rounded the last corner to the tents, I teared up with a rush of excitement, happiness and relief. I know it’s not over, but experiencing a scientific wonder like this is a rare thing for me.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:45 am
Religious huckster who preached "Jesus was the true vaccine" went ahead and got the shot.

https://www.comicsands.com/televangelis ... 93166.html
Somewhere in my online life I read something about a fringe group saying the vaccines are the Mark of the Beast. Um...maybe they should break out their Bibles again, huh?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I got the vaccine as well. Just like having COVID, I haven't felt a single symptom.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:36 pm
I’m sitting in observation after my dose of Moderna. The whole drive-through suite feels like a party! Everyone from the nurses to the parking lot folks is in a happy, festive mood. As I rounded the last corner to the tents, I teared up with a rush of excitement, happiness and relief. I know it’s not over, but experiencing a scientific wonder like this is a rare thing for me.
Wow I can sure relate to that feeling especially with the first shot. I was a bit apprehensive but there was no way I wouldn't do it. Prayed all the way there and all the way back home again, tears included--part scared-part relieved. I think the thing for me was that the one solution we were waiting for all along for a year, finally materialized and it was actually happening to me. All that time and all those adjustments, trying to make the most of my time at home, getting weary of the wait and weepy some nights, the researchers, the volunteers for the clinical trials, the tireless work of health care workers...it was my turn to make a contribution to myself and others because all this time all I had to offer was a mask and six feet.

No, it's not over and if Americans would pull their heads out, educate themselves, and get vaccinated, we'd be moving the needle further and faster. YOU will feel that huge sense of relief when you are fully vaccinated. Yesterday we had family visit us at different times (JB is post-op here) and for the first time in a year, I greeted them with no mask and hugged every one of them.

After dreaming of that moment for a year I finally got it! 8-)

Everything that happened last year is now coming up in my Facebook Memories. So I'm kind of reviewing it. Me weaving piles of potholders for self care, photos of visits with family with windows between us, howling at the moon in honor of the front line workers, scrambling for products and garden stuff, and folks reaching out to each other and me trying to help in the very small ways that I could, all of that is coming across my screen again. That's probably a good thing. I can process it, put it behind me, and also carry the positive things and lessons learned forward with me.

You devoted so much time and effort here to covering the pandemic and today was your day! I hope the only side effect you have is a sense of relief, RI! If not, then hang in there and tough it out, it won't last long!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks, Jersey Girl. I think back to the very early days when people were talking about the average time to develop a vaccine. We had a type of virus that no vaccine had ever been developed for, and lots of time and money were devoted to a type of vaccine that had never been used before (at least in humans). Its hard to wrap my brain around the fact that I got a needle in my arm after hunkering down for a little more than a year.

As an aside, Sabin and Salk, the inventors of the polio vaccines are pretty well known. But I recently learned that one guy invented over 40 vaccines, including over half of the childhood vaccines given today. His name is Maurice Hilleman, and I'd never heard of him. Funny how that works.
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... vaccinator
he/him

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I am now about 4 days post first vaccine dose.

No symptoms, other than the pain of them likely hitting my axillary nerve. I had excruciating pain the moment the needle was in that radiated down into my hand. It took about 3 hours for the pain to go away. Other than that, no PIP, and no symptoms.

I was really surprised, because vaccines (and just about every possible bug) knock me on my butt for a few days. I started getting the flu shot every year after I got the swine flu. The flu shot puts me out of commission for a few days, so I just make sure to get it on a Friday, so I'm good to go when Monday rolls around. It might be because of the difference in the science behind this particular vaccine verses the flu vaccine, or it might just be because this virus effects people in such unpredictably diverse ways.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The day after first dose of Moderna, my arm was stiff and sore, and I had a headache. A day later, feeling just fine.
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Can you imagine hearing more truth about COVID19 from China than the American President? This is from last May. The Chinese are full of propaganda, but still, they were more truthful. Yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JduHojB9CPo
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace