Will Biden lock up more black people?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Will Biden lock up more black people?

Post by ajax18 »

And $500 in restitution--that is how much the court decided the child's life was worth.
Life in prison and a million dollar fine isn't going to bring the victims back life. At least that's how it was explained to those of us who asked why the black perpetrator in NY was let out of prison for stabbing his mother to death after only ten years, thus allowing him to beat an old Asian lady into the pavement.
My point is that to me at least, race relations in the United States appears to be a complicated issue. So that I may fully understand Dr. Gu's position, can you refer me to a book or dissertation that fully articulates it?
What else is there to know? He stated it pretty plainly. I suppose you could check his Twitter feed and see if he even attempted to clarify himself. Do you agree or disagree with him?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

The video of the Rodney King beating was captured by an early adapter with a video camera across the street. One of the most dramatic videos of George Floyd's killing was taken by a 13 year old girl on her cell phone.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. I still remember the impact of the black and white newsreel footage of fire hoses and police dogs being turned on negros wanting to sit at the same lunch counters as whites. We were only seeing what newsreel cameras were showing. Imagine if everyone had a cell phone back then. Imagine if there were cell phone videos of lynchings. The 'Silent Generation' of the 1950's would not have been so silent.

If Rodney King had been beaten and George Floyd had been killed in the 1950's, that news would have been ignored, because there would have been no video documentation. With the invention and ubiquitous use of cell phones, the planet now has a billion news cameras ready to document what is happening. We are provided with a daily vlog of human behavior that has not had video documentation until now. It's all photographed, edited, and downloaded in a matter of minutes. As a species, we have seemingly grown a new set of nerve endings in a generation.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:33 pm
And $500 in restitution--that is how much the court decided the child's life was worth.
Life in prison and a million dollar fine isn't going to bring the victims back life. At least that's how it was explained to those of us who asked why the black perpetrator in NY was let out of prison for stabbing his mother to death after only ten years, thus allowing him to beat an old Asian lady into the pavement.
Your point is that blacks shouldn't be upset when asian-on-black murderers are set free with probation because black-on-asian murderers are only sent to prison for only 10 years?
ajax18 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:33 pm
My point is that to me at least, race relations in the United States appears to be a complicated issue. So that I may fully understand Dr. Gu's position, can you refer me to a book or dissertation that fully articulates it?
What else is there to know? He stated it pretty plainly. I suppose you could check his Twitter feed and see if he even attempted to clarify himself. Do you agree or disagree with him?
What else is there to know?

1- Who is this guy and why should I care about his opinion. Has he unanimously been elected as the official spokesperson for the left? If not, why are you quoting him?

2- What, exactly, he means by what he said.

3- What is his justification for believing what he said?

I neither agree nor disagree with him.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:14 pm
But what the left now wants is not equality but what they call equity. This means that any time more blacks commit more crimes or make less money on paper per year, this is evidence of systemic racism and must ultimately be the fault of white supremacy. It can never be due to individual choices of black people.
ajax, assuming that this claim were to be true, can you elaborate further on what this will do to you and your white friends?
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

ajax18 wrote:

But what the left now wants is not equality but what they call equity. This means that any time more blacks commit more crimes or make less money on paper per year, this is evidence of systemic racism and must ultimately be the fault of white supremacy. It can never be due to individual choices of black people.

You're so retarded. This guy is an Asian American himself. He doesn't represent the "Left" which is your eternal boogeyman.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Will anyone lock up the stupid people?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:09 pm
ajax18 wrote:
ajax, assuming that this claim were to be true, can you elaborate further on what this will do to you and your white friends?
I don't think that ajax even cares about that. I think he is so heavily invested in his hatred of brown people and/or anyone less hard right conservative than himself, that the very existence of such people is an intolerable affront to him. The pity is (as Some Schmo has previously pointed out) that he would almost certainly be a much happier person if he could rid himself of his hateful bigotry and white supremacist nonsense and try to learn and really understand others' points of view and basic reality. Instead, he eagerly and even desperately seeks out even the flimsiest straws that he thinks he can bend or interpret as justification for clinging to his hatred and bigotry.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 pm
If Rodney King had been beaten and George Floyd had been killed in the 1950's, that news would have been ignored, because there would have been no video documentation. With the invention and ubiquitous use of cell phones, the planet now has a billion news cameras ready to document what is happening. We are provided with a daily vlog of human behavior that has not had video documentation until now. It's all photographed, edited, and downloaded in a matter of minutes. As a species, we have seemingly grown a new set of nerve endings in a generation.
We no longer have any privacy when we are out in public.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Brack wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:54 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 pm
We no longer have any privacy when we are out in public.

That depends on which side controls the media.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:52 pm

That depends on which side controls the media.
No side has ever controlled the media, and privacy in public has never been a right.