I quit the Church!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Re: I quit the Church!!!

Post by _Black Moclips »

Well, I have to admit I'm sort of saddened by your decision. Not because I think you are wrong to do it, but its just sort of sad. You put all this hard work and effort into believing and trying to justify something and it ultimately fails. Maybe its all the celebration - that just seems a little wrong, I don't know.

But I completely understand the difficulty of living by faith with so many critical pieces missing. Heaven knows I have my own issues, so I'm not judging you at all. If there is a God, I think he can lead you wherever it will benefit you the most.

Anyway, good luck on your journey.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Paul,

You know I have long respected you for your honest and sensible approach to the Book of Abraham and for your kindness and compassion, so I am quite sure that your decision has come from the heart. As others have said, leaving isn't easy, and it can be quite painful and full of sorrows, but I support your decision, as it's yours alone to make.

Whatever you do, follow the truth. It really does make you free.

John
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Black Moclips wrote:Well, I have to admit I'm sort of saddened by your decision. Not because I think you are wrong to do it, but its just sort of sad. You put all this hard work and effort into believing and trying to justify something and it ultimately fails. Maybe its all the celebration - that just seems a little wrong, I don't know.

But I completely understand the difficulty of living by faith with so many critical pieces missing. Heaven knows I have my own issues, so I'm not judging you at all. If there is a God, I think he can lead you wherever it will benefit you the most.

Anyway, good luck on your journey.

Thank you. I thank everyone who has had something positive to say. Well, all I can say now is that I'm coming out of the FOG and it feels good. Oh my gosh! It feels sooooo good. A lot better than the so-called Mormon Holy Ghost feelings we pretended to feel while sitting in boring church meetings while looking at the clock.

There really is life outside of Mormonism! For much of that time I was just a stupid sheep but I really was trying to be a good person. It was a growing experience and it was worth it. But it's time to advance and move on to a higher level.

Yes, I'm on Polygamy Porter's team. “F” yes.

Paul O
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Runtu wrote:Paul,

You know I have long respected you for your honest and sensible approach to the Book of Abraham and for your kindness and compassion, so I am quite sure that your decision has come from the heart. As others have said, leaving isn't easy, and it can be quite painful and full of sorrows, but I support your decision, as it's yours alone to make.

Whatever you do, follow the truth. It really does make you free.

John

Thanks, that means a lot to me. Indeed, I gave it my best in defending the Book of Abraham out of sheer testimony and did it in the most honest way I could. I knew something was dreadfully wrong with Hugh Nibley's approach and that the General Authorities were money loving cowards so I figured I'd try and light a fire and hoped others would run with it. But, to my disappointment, it really is a lost cause. I just thank God that I refused to brainwash myself endlessly and admit the truth.

Kerry Shirts, are you going to do the right thing?! I wonder if Kerry really has the balls to face up and admit the truth. Time will tell.

Paul O
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Apparently not strong enough, right Brother Hypocrite?

in my opinion you are worse than we exmormons. At least we stand for what we believe in.

You do not. Inactive for what 30 years? No tithing, no callings, nada, zilch, noth-THING!

And yet I would bet the local ward is the first place you would go begging for help if you found yourself destitute.

Pathetic.

Oh my Gosh! Is this really the case? Wow!!!

Paul O
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Paul Osborne wrote:The General Authorities [are] money loving cowards...and Yes, I'm on Polygamy Porter's team. f*** yes.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to fully express yourself with your new found freedom? Best wishes.

Regards,
MG
_Nevo
_Emeritus

Post by _Nevo »

All the "best wishes on your journey" posts bring to mind something I read today in Thomas Lynch's book, The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade.

Relating a vignette about Jack Kevorkian and one of his "patients," Janet Adkins, Lynch writes: "By the mid-afternoon in early June in north Oakland County, in the back of a van, it all must have seemed normal, natural, a right and entitlement, a matter of choice. . . . 'Have a nice trip,' he had told her, after she had done her part, as if she were off to the Bahamas or the Berkshires."

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't find Paul's apostasy a cause for celebration or well wishes. I just hope he reconsiders his decision after the initial transgressive euphoria and kudos die away (as they surely will).
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

You bring up a good point Nevo, which is why I hedged my bet by telling Paul I'd have nothing against him if he were to return to the church down the road. Only if he were to become an apologist would I take issue.

You are right, just as in the case with a new baptism when all the people in the ward put on their fake smiles and pretend the new convert isn't an intrusion into their click, the "fellowshipping" of apostates -- though far more sincere -- will definitely wear off and people ultimately have to live the decision or not for its own sake.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Nevo wrote:Sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't find Paul's apostasy a cause for celebration or well wishes. I just hope he reconsiders his decision after the initial transgressive euphoria and kudos die away (as they surely will).

No one expects you to be overjoyed, Nevo. It would be very out of character for you to react in such a manner. However, it is considered an acceptable gesture of good will to wish someone well on their journey. Even the least supportive among us can afford to do that.

And I think the characterization of his current emotional state as "transgressive" is both misplaced and incorrect. Paul has not transgressed any further than any other normal gentleman. He did not leave to commit sin; he could commit sin while a member. He left because of philosophical and doctrinal differences. No "transgressive" label can change that.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
Apparently not strong enough, right Brother Hypocrite?

in my opinion you are worse than we exmormons. At least we stand for what we believe in.

You do not. Inactive for what 30 years? No tithing, no callings, nada, zilch, noth-THING!

And yet I would bet the local ward is the first place you would go begging for help if you found yourself destitute.

Pathetic.[/quote]

A hypocrite hides his or her beliefs and pretends to be something they are not. That is not my case at all. I have freely admitted my inactivity and for how long. I see no hypocrisy.

The problem with you and with other exmormons or postmormons, is that you can not see a middle way. But there are many of us who chose a middle way. I don't need to be active to defend the lds church against 'falsehood' claims. I just look at the facts when it comes to everyday people. And the witnesses were everyday people with wives and children. And no one denied their testimony about what happened with the Book of Mormon and the gold plates. In fact just the opposite.

I haven't sought any help from the branch or ward. In ´fact, all know of my inactivity and no one seems to mind. But one thing that I do know, inactivity is no reason to deny someone help or to not to ask for help, if needed. Charity is wonderful food for the human heart and soul.

For example, your post has no charity. And that is okay. It is all a matter of choice.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith