Local Ordinations:

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Local Ordinations:

Post by _karl61 »

In Los Angeles, a married mother of two was selected as a local Bishop.

http://fwix.com/share/3_8d7a663131
I want to fly!
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Local Ordinations:

Post by _harmony »

karl61 wrote:In Los Angeles, a married mother of two was selected as a local Bishop.

http://fwix.com/share/3_8d7a663131

Hell... I mean Salt Lake Central... will be buried under the mountains that now surround it when this happens in the LDS church.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

A news story heralding the ordination of women along with the impending ordination of homosexuals in one breath is only going to convince the LDS church that allowing neither is the correct path.

Although if you want to get technical, a gay man can become a bishop in the LDS church. He just can't be acting on his sexual orientation. (My source for that is Silus understand, the gay LDS blogger at Nine Moons. He covered the matter in a podcast back in March). The homosexual community probably doesn't see that as much of a concession, but as I see it, a gay man still has a better shot of becoming an LDS bishop than a straight woman.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

it's interesting to think how women would approach Church finances compared to men.
I want to fly!
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

karl61 wrote:it's interesting to think how women would approach Church finances compared to men.

A recent study found that businesses which have women among their top leadership positions are doing better than businesses that are all male.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

I thought that if women made some finance decisions they would build less and spend a little more on charity for people that can't repay them.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to fly!
_Danna

Post by _Danna »

Wow, if we had had bishops that well qualified!

Unpaid clergy is false economy.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Although if you want to get technical, a gay man can become a bishop in the LDS church. He just can't be acting on his sexual orientation.

True, though if his predilection were known, I think his chance of being called to that position is virtually zero.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

bcspace wrote:True, though if his predilection were known, I think his chance of being called to that position is virtually zero.

Silus understand's stake president (who knows that he's gay) said otherwise.

He could just have a very tolerant SP though.