Nelson’s “don’t rehearse with other unbelievers” talk

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
mcjathan
Nursery

Re: Nelson’s “don’t rehearse with other unbelievers” talk

Post by mcjathan »

Dr. Moore wrote:This is the same talk in which Nelson labels those who doubt or leave the church as “lazy learners and lax disciples.”

Sheesh, as if hard conversations weren’t already hard enough.
Statements like these from church leaders make it obvious how completely oblivious they are the real experience of a faith crisis. It's why they don't stand a chance of stopping the hemorrhaging of each upcoming generation. Instead of fixing anything, simply more navel gazing from the leadership.
Last edited by mcjathan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 pm
This is the same talk in which Nelson labels those who doubt or leave the church as “lazy learners and lax disciples.”

Sheesh, indeed.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

mcjathan wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:46 pm
Russell Nelson wrote:Lazy learners and lax disciples will always struggle to muster even a particle of faith.
I've seen quite a bit of blow-back on social media regarding this part of Nelson's talk.
That’s good to hear.
he/him

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore
Nelson labels those who doubt or leave the church as “lazy learners
Well, all we have had to go by is the lazy leaders, it's not our fault....... Jeffrey Holland on You Tube video admits he knows nothing about the papyri, Egyptian, or how to translate, yet he testifies the Book of Abraham is true. What, he can't take a few years and learn about it like all the rest of us? Lazy slob. I rest my case.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Dr Moore wrote:
This is the same talk in which Nelson labels those who doubt or leave the church as “lazy learners and lax disciples.”

I'm not defending Russell M. Nelson as a Prophet or a person (I mean, the guy looks like Mr. Burns so he has to be evil), but he didn't say "those who doubt or leave the church" are "lazy learners."

Here's the actual quote:
Your mountains may be loneliness, doubt, illness, or other personal problems. Your mountains will vary, and yet the answer to each of your challenges is to increase your faith. That takes work. Lazy learners and lax disciples will always struggle to muster even a particle of faith.
"Doubters" are listed along with people who are lonely or ill, but no one is complaining that Russell M. Nelson said that all ill and lonely people are "lazy learners" too. Because obviously he didn't.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

cinepro wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 pm
"Doubters" are listed along with people who are lonely or ill, but no one is complaining that Russell M. Nelson said that all ill and lonely people are "lazy learners" too. Because obviously he didn't.
I think the intent of his phrase is clear enough based on what he says next in the talk. It’s the old trick: list 2 things everyone would agree with, and then join the new one like it’s no big deal.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

cinepro wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 pm
Dr Moore wrote:

I'm not defending Russell M. Nelson as a Prophet or a person (I mean, the guy looks like Mr. Burns so he has to be evil), but he didn't say "those who doubt or leave the church" are "lazy learners."

Here's the actual quote:
Your mountains may be loneliness, doubt, illness, or other personal problems. Your mountains will vary, and yet the answer to each of your challenges is to increase your faith. That takes work. Lazy learners and lax disciples will always struggle to muster even a particle of faith.
Well, he refers to lazy learners and lax disciples. In the context of his talk, who does he mean? Or are you completely baffled? ;)
he/him

cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:09 pm
Well, he refers to lazy learners and lax disciples. In the context of his talk, who does he mean? Or are you completely baffled? ;)
From your understanding of the talk, if you asked Russell M. Nelson these two questions, how do you think he would answer:

1. Are all exMos "lazy learners"?

2. Are any members of the Church "lazy learners"?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

cinepro wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:02 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:09 pm
From your understanding of the talk, if you asked Russell M. Nelson these two questions, how do you think he would answer:

1. Are all exMos "lazy learners"?

2. Are any members of the Church "lazy learners"?
My view:
1. Yes
2. Yes
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 am
My view:
1. Yes
2. Yes
Interesting. Since "doubters" are included along with the lonely and ill, I'm understanding it that he wasn't referring to all doubters. Certainly, if he meant to say that all doubters (i.e. exMos) are "lazy learners" that would obviously be wrong.

But some of them...? :?