Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Jersey Girl »

So. Of course if weirdness happens it happens to me, right? I'm 20 days out from the second dose of Pfizer. I noticed in the past 4 days that one of my tonsils looks like I have tonsillitis (if you've ever had that, you know what I'm talking about) but I have no other symptoms of tonsillitis. Trust me, I know what that feels like. Fever, chills, achy sore throat, generalized feelings of yuckiness. I have none of that.

So...I started googling side effects just to go down the list again. One of the side effects is swollen lymph nodes and then...I came up with this. :o

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2021/01/ ... -and-more/

So I am thinking that since I haven't had tonsillitis in 30 years, this is actually a side effect of the Pfizer vaccine. Oh and my tonsils are still hanging in there and doing their job. :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:10 am
So I am thinking that since I haven't had tonsillitis in 30 years, this is actually a side effect of the Pfizer vaccine. Oh and my tonsils are still hanging in there and doing their job. :lol:
You've got me a bit worried now! My tonsils are long gone, having been removed when I was a little lad of 5 in Norway due to tonsillitis, shortly before my family immigrated to the USA. I shared a hospital room with my father, who also also had a tonsillectomy at the same time due to tonsillitis. I kinda wish I still had them now!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:40 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:10 am
You've got me a bit worried now! My tonsils are long gone, having been removed when I was a little lad of 5 in Norway due to tonsillitis, shortly before my family immigrated to the USA. I shared a hospital room with my father, who also also had a tonsillectomy at the same time due to tonsillitis. I kinda wish I still had them now!
Why do you wish you had them? by the way, it's all better now. What the heck? I didn't get mine out as a child because the family doctor we had (the kind that made actual house calls back in the day) told my mother to leave them alone and his theory was that if I caught viruses, the tonsils would catch that and the illness wouldn't go into my chest.

I never got respiratory illnesses as a child. Just tonsillitis and I would get it maybe once each year. So maybe he was right? Believe me, I know exactly if I am getting it, too, because I've had it so many times in my life.

Did you read the study at Stanford? It's amazing the research they are doing!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:14 pm

Why do you wish you had them? by the way, it's all better now. What the heck? I didn't get mine out as a child because the family doctor we had (the kind that made actual house calls back in the day) told my mother to leave them alone and his theory was that if I caught viruses, the tonsils would catch that and the illness wouldn't go into my chest.

I never got respiratory illnesses as a child. Just tonsillitis and I would get it maybe once each year. So maybe he was right? Believe me, I know exactly if I am getting it, too, because I've had it so many times in my life.

Did you read the study at Stanford? It's amazing the research they are doing!
Yes, I read the Stanford study in your link. Thanks! It was very informative, and part of the reason I think still having intact tonsils might be a net benefit. Of course, this is not the first time I read something about the potential benefits of keeping one's tonsils, however.

This reminds me of a story a friend of mine told about how he once told a young nephew of his about to undergo a tonsillectomy that the procedure involved removing his head to get at the tonsils to remove them, and then replacing his head, and that he should make sure he got the right head back afterwards. Following his uncle's advice, the kid asked to look in a mirror when he was in recovery, and then threw a fit because he was sure he got back the wrong head! The hospital staff and his parents had the hardest time calming the kid down and convincing him he still had his own head. You can well imagine the wrath of kid's parents and the hospital staff my friend incurred against him for that little tall tale.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Well Gunnar does what my childhood doctor said ring true to you? It makes a lot of sense to me but of course I'm not a medical professional. I don't know...I never got respiratory illnesses in childhood.

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 am
Well Gunnar does what my childhood doctor said ring true to you? It makes a lot of sense to me but of course I'm not a medical professional. I don't know...I never got respiratory illnesses in childhood.
I am certainly no medical expert, so as far as I know, your childhood doctor could be right. You were certainly fortunate to have never got respiratory illnesses in Childhood, and I suppose it could be true that your tonsils contributed to that. Based on what little I have learned about medicine as an interested and relatively well-informed layman, I have little doubt that healthy, intact tonsils play a significant role in our body's immune system. Nevertheless I know that even people who have kept their tonsils can still get respiratory illnesses. All of my children still have fully intact tonsils, yet they have experienced respiratory illnesses of one kind or another at times.

by the way, do you count the flu, the common cold, seasonal allergies and asthma as respiratory illnesses?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Here is a thing I wanted to mention but it got lost in my in real life shuffle. I went into Walmart probably 2 weeks ago and as I was leaving the store, the pharmacy lady stopped to ask me if I had been vaccinated. I told her I was fully vaccinated. Anyway, the reason she was running around the store is because time was running out on the doses they still had.

Guess why? She knows and recognizes me so we had a little conversation. She said because they have an average of 30 no shows per day. Those are people who made actual appointments in more than one facility and they simply don't show up. She said they can't announce it over the store PA because they could end up with customer/patients fighting over the doses that were left.

Talk about mindless stupidity on the part of the American public. You would think that grown adults would realize that when they make appointments with a facility, that day's number of doses is taken out of storage for the patients. When they fail to show, the facility risks having to waste precious doses of vaccine.

I can't help but think that this is probably happening nationwide to some degree.

I have no idea if they were able to use the doses that day, but if this is a common occurrence, the fault rests on the shoulder of irresponsible people who are actually causing doses of a precious commodity to be wasted during a pandemic.

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

My wife and I got our first shots today at the VA. I asked them how many folks they’ve vaccinated and the nurse told me their clinic is at 24,000. Now. I realize on many, many Conservative forums they’re pushing the conspiracy theory that the One World Government is using the pandemic to inject a slow-reacting serum that’ll kill off billions of humans in two or three years because Bill Gates is part of that think tank that states we need to get the human population down to sustainable numbers or whatever. If that’s the case and we all stop posting in two or three years because we is dead, I just want to say thanks for all the fish and Epstein didn’t kill himself.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 pm
Talk about mindless stupidity on the part of the American public. You would think that grown adults would realize that when they make appointments with a facility, that day's number of doses is taken out of storage for the patients. When they fail to show, the facility risks having to waste precious doses of vaccine.

I can't help but think that this is probably happening nationwide to some degree.
I hate to be cynical enough to mention the possibility, but given what has been witnessed so far across this country and the statements and attitudes of some against the vaccine, I have to wonder if any or most of these appointments were made by people who knew well beforehand that they had no intention of showing up.

Let’s just hope that they’re only a bit fearful or forgetful ... who likes getting poked with a needle, right?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:02 pm
I just want to say thanks for all the fish and Epstein didn’t kill himself.

- Doc
Speaking of Douglas Adams, have you ever read his Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency? I thought it even funnier than his Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. One of the funniest characters in that novel was the Electric Monk, who I think is very analogous to many of today's conspiracy nuts on both extremes of the political spectrum, who are so eager to accept without evidence some of the wildest conspiracy absurdities. If you haven't read it yet, you'll be glad when you do, and you'll see what I mean.