"Are you on your period or something?" and other sexist remarks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: "Are you on your period or something?" a sexist remark made HERE.

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:39 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:29 am

Oh okay. So what you're saying is that you consider your retort to be a form of responding in kind?
I don't get that either. I disagreed with the opinion he was expressing, so he says "She hit me so I hit her back."

The only problem with that is that I expressed an opinion about his post, so he thought it was appropriate to respond by making a nasty sexist remark about my body, based on the physical differences between men and women. Not only that, he defined it as "... she deserved to have her chain jerked."

I deserved to have an ugly sexist remark made about my body, because I disagreed with his words? Right, that's what women "deserve."
Hello! I wouldn't have inserted myself into this except for the fact that some of us who are in possession of ovaries seem to dislike seeing them dished up by a male poster as ...something. I dunno a substitute for communication when someone is pressing him, I mean going on a rampage :roll:, to say what he means.

So what I'm getting from his explanation is that he thought you wanted to be treated like one of the guys :roll: so he decided to go for your ovaries.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. He thought :roll: you hit him so he hit you back just like one of the guys :roll: because he thought :roll: that's what you wanted :roll: by hitting you in the ovaries.

Show me one place on this forum where Analytics has ever responded to one of the guys :roll: whom he assessed was going on a rampage :roll: because one of the guys :roll: said crap and threw an F bomb :roll: and hit one of the guys :roll: back by making a remark about one of the guys :roll: reproductive system.

You're good at research. Look that up for me, k?

For "F"s sake. :roll: Holy crap if I roll my eyes any more I'll be picking them up off the floor.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Omg, now I am just laughing my ass off. Thanks, Jersey Girl, you hit every point.
.... instead get this baseless derail, that for good measure includes the word sh!t and an f-bomb.
Says the poster who posted
Analytics wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 pm

Your thinking is cloudy today. Are you on your period or something?
And
I could have said “you should know better.”
Says the poster who posted
Analytics wrote:

And
But I know she wants to be treated like one of the guys. She hit me so I hit her back. I said what I said for one purpose: to jerk her chain because she deserved to have her chain jerked.
And so the poster posted:
Analytics wrote:

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:26 am
Omg, now I am just laughing my ass off. Thanks, Jersey Girl, you hit every point.
Did I hit him in his ovaries?

Seriously, what the “F”? I haven't seen such a BS explanation come out of someone's keyboard since, I dunno, going back 20 years.

My pleasure to make you laugh!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:55 am
Professor Lem,

I’m sure I speak for many here when I say this is not discussmormonism.com’s finest hour.
Thanks, Everybody Wang Chung. I really do enjoy my time here, and for the most part, our board is a pretty great place for a woman to be.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Okay, I'm going to jump in here and probably get my ass kicked, but here goes:

Let me first stipulate that it is wrong to assume that someone's argument is influenced by what is going on in their body. someone is making an argument with part of their body.

I always think of the etymology of the word hysterical.
...the nervous disease originally defined as a neurotic condition peculiar to women and thought to be caused by a dysfunction of the uterus; literally "of the womb," from Latin hystericus "of the womb," from Greek hysterikos "of the womb, suffering in the womb
Now Jersey Girl and I have been having a bit of conversation about Rock and Roll. She knows I'm a big Beatles fan, and she posted a clip of their last concert at Shea Stadium. I was lucky enough to see the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl in 1965 (either 3rd or 4th row, I'm not sure any more).

We got there about an hour before the show. A half an hour before anyone appeared on stage, one girl would start screaming in anticipation, then another an another, and like a wave, rolls of screams would go around the bowl. Ten thousand girls screaming before there had been a sound check.

I don't know if there is a better description than mass hysteria. I have this saying: Adults think, Children feel, and Teenagers secrete. And the journey through male and female hormones is not the same. Equality is not sameness. Sometimes men and women react differently, and sometimes the difference is hormonal.

I wasn't until just now, when I was thinking about living through Beatlemania with my sister, that I really made the hard connection. I watched her scream in front of the TV when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. No one told her to do that. So we have a form of behavior that is consistent in many adolescent females at the peak of their hormonal changes. The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Valentino...the object may change, but the response remains the same.

Again, I'm not saying that your thoughts and behavior is reduced to your hormones. Given the objectification of women by men, the idea that a woman's thoughts come from her uterus must be especially galling. But because women were so condemned by any behavior that could be interpreted as hysterical, it has become taboo to raise the subject. The landscape of men and women being equal does not mean a featureless landscape where we are all the same.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:02 am
The landscape of men and women being equal does not mean a featureless landscape where we are all the same.
Absolutely. Why, then, if we (including WOMEN) are not all the same, does Analytics think it is acceptable to say this to a woman?
Analytics wrote:

Does a period render a female unable to function? Or to think? NO. Do all women have periods? For their entire lives? NO.

But Analytics, who knows nothing about me except that I am a female who knows statistics, has reduced me to a hormonal response. And even worse, he has reduced me to a woman who DOESN'T know statistics when he thinks I am having a period, and who he thinks has responded to his bad statistical analysis, not with a statistical opinion but with a hormone-driven opinion. (he is so wrong.)

The sexism is appalling.
Last edited by Lem on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I just want to go on record as saying I don't recall ever screaming in my life.

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:46 am
Yea, me neither.
MeDotOrg wrote:
So we have a form of behavior that is consistent in many adolescent females at the peak of their hormonal changes. The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Valentino...the object may change, but the response remains the same.
How about that. That makes two of us who are not consistent with the stereotypical response that is assumed about females.

Wow. It almost makes one wonder if the stereotypes might be .......just stereotypes, and not actually true. :o
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:46 am
Yea, me neither.
MeDotOrg wrote:
So we have a form of behavior that is consistent in many adolescent females at the peak of their hormonal changes. The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Valentino...the object may change, but the response remains the same.
How about that. That makes two of us who are not consistent with the stereotypical response that is assumed about females.

Wow. It almost makes one wonder if the stereotypes might be .......just stereotypes, and not actually true. :o
I'm not a screamer. If I wanted to scream, my voice couldn't handle it. I can't even sing high notes. I don't know why I'm sharing this. What key do the Stones sing in? I'm somewhere in that range. Like I have a guy voice...only not. I know! Like Sam Cooke. I can sing all of his songs no problem.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Picture this only with a girl singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5usKhGz60

:lol:

Slava Ukraini!