"Are you on your period or something?" and other sexist remarks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: "Are you on your period or something?" a sexist remark made HERE.

Post by Some Schmo »

The main problem with being male is that I'll never really know what it's like not to be male. I often find myself trying to walk in my daughter's shoes, but without her looks and presence, I'll never truly know what it's like to be her. I'll never know what it's like to be lusted after on sight, or touched inappropriately by a customer I'm serving. I'll never know what it's like to have someone 30 years older than I am make a pass at me. It seems there's an entire universe I am simply not privy to because I am not equipped to see it.

I think we all have these kinds of blindness to the experiences of others. The only way into these other worlds is through the view of friends and loved ones; at least, those are the worlds we're motivated to see.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 pm
The main problem with being male is that I'll never really know what it's like to not be male. I often find myself trying to walk in my daughter's shoes, but without her looks and presence, I'll never truly know what it's like to be her. I'll never know what it's like to be lusted after on sight, or touched inappropriately by a customer I'm serving. I'll never know what it's like to have someone 30 years older than I am make a pass at me. It seems there's an entire universe I am simply not privy to because I am not equipped to see it.

I think we all have these kinds of blindness to the experiences of others. The only way into these other worlds is through the view of friends and loved ones; at least, those are the worlds we're motivated to see.
Thankfully, that's a pretty easily solved problem. Start by reading through this thread. In particular, posts by Res Ipsa, Chap, and the exchanges between Doc Cam and Moksha are very helpful. They are all male also, so that will help you ease into it. When you are ready, posts by Jersey Girl and myself are there, but we are women, so I suggest deep breathing and calmness before venturing off into the unknown. Then, if you really want a trip, try the rest of the posts by people who--well, let's just say I don't even know their genders! Crazy, huh?!

Some Schmo, I love you to death, but please. In reality the only person you really know is Some Schmo, and even that might be debatable. :D No one else on the planet is exactly you!! And you are totally different from every other person!! O the humanity!!!!!!

Seriously, there's no huge and absolute divide between men and women in reality, only the divide put up in people's minds. We are all human beings along a huge multi-dimensional spectrum of every possible attribute, influenced by chemicals, nature, nurture, and everything else. Let it go already.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Amen. Having a trans daughter has made that crystal clear to me.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Lem wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 pm
Thankfully, that's a pretty easily solved problem. Start by reading through this thread. In particular, posts by Res Ipsa, Chap, and the exchanges between Doc Cam and Moksha are very helpful. They are all male also, so that will help you ease into it. When you are ready, posts by Jersey Girl and myself are there, but we are women, so I suggest deep breathing and calmness before venturing off into the unknown. Then, if you really want a trip, try the rest of the posts by people who--well, let's just say I don't even know their genders! Crazy, huh?!

Some Schmo, I love you to death, but please. In reality the only person you really know is Some Schmo, and even that might be debatable. :D No one else on the planet is exactly you!! And you are totally different from every other person!! O the humanity!!!!!!

Seriously, there's no huge and absolute divide between men and women in reality, only the divide put up in people's minds. We are all human beings along a huge multi-dimensional spectrum of every possible attribute, influenced by chemicals, nature, nurture, and everything else. Let it go already.
Yeah, now I think you missed my point.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 pm
The main problem with being male is that I'll never really know what it's like to not be male. I often find myself trying to walk in my daughter's shoes, but without her looks and presence, I'll never truly know what it's like to be her. I'll never know what it's like to be lusted after on sight, or touched inappropriately by a customer I'm serving. I'll never know what it's like to have someone 30 years older than I am make a pass at me. It seems there's an entire universe I am simply not privy to because I am not equipped to see it.

Lem wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:00 am
Yeah, now I think you missed my point.
By all means, please start a thread (other than this one about how woman can deal with sexist comments, of course), and please explain how "the main problem with being male is that I'll never really know what it's like to not be male." I Here's some advice from Doc to get you started:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:18 pm

I get the feeling Moksha didn’t take the time to actually read the story quoted in OP. I have a hard time believing that anyone reading that would then enter the thread, shove an elbow off the armrest, and then legitimately feel justified at feeling like the victim when the Baroness Jane van Lawick-Goodall said wtf to David Greybeard when he took her fork. Those Gombe discussion board chimps, amirite? Or amirite?

- Doc
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 pm
Amen. Having a trans daughter has made that crystal clear to me.
She's lucky to have you as a dad. Best wishes to her, and to you.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Lem wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:11 am
By all means, please start a thread (other than this one about how woman can deal with sexist comments, of course), and please explain how "the main problem with being male is that I'll never really know what it's like to not be male."
See, I would think that comment was self-explanatory. Empathy and imagination only takes one so far.

You know, Lem, it sure feels like you're looking for a fight. I'm not sure why.

Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 am
Lem wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:11 am
By all means, please start a thread (other than this one about how woman can deal with sexist comments, of course), and please explain how "the main problem with being male is that I'll never really know what it's like to not be male."
See, I would think that comment was self-explanatory. Empathy and imagination only takes one so far.

Oh dear god. This is un-damned-believable. . Did you even READ the damned title of this thread? Did you read the OP?
Did you read anything posted here? Did you not get the point of Doc's post?!!!!!!
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:18 pm
I have a hard time believing that anyone reading [the OP] would then enter the thread, shove an elbow off the armrest, and then legitimately feel justified at feeling like the victim....
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Lem wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 am
Oh dear god. This is un-damned-believable.
Well, I agree with that.

Perhaps you should heed your own advice, and read. I'm not going to argue with you.

What I will say is that it's kind of dumb to alienate your allies, but you do you.

Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 am
You think I'm looking for a fight, because you are "not sure why" I would object to you derailing this thread with a post about how tough it is to be male. :roll:

Did you read the title of the thread, the content of the OP, or the 11 pages of posts? Or did you just decide to lament your challenges as a male without reading?
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:57 am
What I will say is that it's kind of dumb to alienate your allies, but you do you.

What's that saying? With friends like this, who needs enemies? You came on this thread, explained away the insult in the initial post, complimented the insultor for apologizing even though you thought it was optional, and then you started a lament about how tough it is to be male, and finished up by suggesting that the person who was treated in a sexist manner is just 'looking for a fight.'

If you think you are helping women's causes, Some Schmo, THINK AGAIN.